Sound of the Chanter Top

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Christian Tietje
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Sound of the Chanter Top

Post by Christian Tietje »

Hello Uilleann Pipers,
has anybody made any expierence with the influence of the material of the chanter top on the sound of the chanter?

Christian
Christian Tietje
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Re: Sound of the Chanter Top

Post by Tony »

If I remember correctly, around 8 or 9 years ago, pipemaker Bruce Childress came through a nearby city (on his way to vacation) and we tested a brass top against a wooden top (on the same chanter) and I found no discernible difference in sound.

Is this the type of response you are looking for?
Christian Tietje
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Post by Christian Tietje »

Hello Tony,

as everything has an influence on the others involved I expect an influence as a reaction on the movement of the reed - like the moon has an influence on the earth and revers.

Once I had a brass chanter top. For many years now I use a wooden one. Since I got the wooden top I have lost a bit of the sound that I loved in times before. Regardless the different reeds I made and tested, I can't get back the former soft sound. By watching (or better listening to) several other pipes with wooden, brass or silver top I assume, that the sound might be more soft, dense and not so "hollow, woody" with a metal joint.

Also I have heard about discussions how the connection to the bag is made, straight or rectangular. There may also exist an influence how the air oscillates backwards and forward. If nobody has a really sure opinion I have to buy one and to test. I will come back to report.
Christian Tietje
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You're probably better off looking at shape, size of the head and diameter and placement of the air inlet. Ronan Browne claims to have the upper hand over other pipers since he had the reedcap tied straight into the bag for example.
My brain hurts

glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Post by glasba »

I was told that wooden top makes the sound warmer and with a bit stronger timbre. Anyway, I prefer the richer look of wooden tops always. But it is interesting to hear that metal top would be able to make sound softer (hard to believe) and dense!? Mybe it depends on the wood used for top. But if it's true, then I gues Silver top would make it even softer then brass?
Best, AA :)
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Mr.Gumby wrote:You're probably better off looking at shape, size of the head and diameter and placement of the air inlet. Ronan Browne claims to have the upper hand over other pipers since he had the reedcap tied straight into the bag for example.
sometime ago, cillian o' briain wrote an article in an piobaire or the ipc pipers review
about that arrangement of windcap as sounding better in combination
with a hollow mainstock. the harmonics blending and supporting one another.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

I has a chanter top made from concrete. The weight made all the notes flat.
It was so heavy I had to play standing on my head to avoid dislocated fingers.