A modern direction in pipeing

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

A modern direction in pipeing

Post by rorybbellows »

Would you consider this very up-tempo type of pipeing to be a modern innovation in the pipeing world and if so,where does its influence come from ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnhPivtfUKU

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: A modern direction in pipeing

Post by oleorezinator »

Not a piping clip. But just the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxrjCGiL14I&nomobile=1
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm no scholar on it, Rory, but it seems to me a sense of modern direction isn't found in this pipering example as such, but more in the accompaniment. Take all that away: then would the question have occurred to you?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

but it seems to me a sense of modern direction isn't found in this pipering example as such
Wouldn't you feel that whole linear approach with little attention to the internal rhythms of the tune is a fairly radical departure from older forms? Keenan was on that road but he seems to have pulled back a bit at some point. Moving Hearts certainly used that rhythmic approach too (and probably did a lot towards popularising it).
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
but it seems to me a sense of modern direction isn't found in this pipering example as such
Wouldn't you feel that whole linear approach with little attention to the internal rhythms of the tune is a fairly radical departure from older forms?
Thanks for the question. I agree that there are differences between then and now (and I admit I'm more of a fan of the modern ways, probably because that's what I cut my teeth on), but aside from that nice bluesy wail at the beginning and a few other touches, the piping seems pretty straightforward to me, but maybe that's what you're pointing out. I just don't hear any still-newer ground that I can put my finger on. Could you explain further what you mean by "linear approach" and "little attention to internal rhythms"? Perhaps my ear is unsubtle.
Mr.Gumby wrote:Keenan was on that road but he seems to have pulled back a bit at some point.
His treatment of The Garden Of Daisies has certainly provided delicious fodder for comment. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm no scholar on it, Rory.
I'm not either and dont know how to explain it in technical terms ,but the rhythm feels like something new to or even outside ITM.
When I first heard Barry Kerr play , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF--f7JxFPk
My first impression was that he was playing very much in the style of Davy Spillane . A stlye that was frowned upon by traditionalists when his first solo album came out. But maybe its getting more accepted these days.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Right, Kerr's got a good deal more syncopation going on in his playing than McGoldrick in comparing those vids, I think. So maybe I wasn't able to fully grasp the question and chalked it up more to the accompaniment.

If it's the syncopated timings you're talking about, I definitely think it's those damned kids. :wink:
islander
Tell us something.: Hello there. How are you? I'm just updating my profile, deleting info and writing stuff here to show i'm not a spammer because i'm an actual human being.

Post by islander »

The biggest separating factor to me between the new and the old style of melody playing is the use of swing (part of the internal rhythms of the tune that Mr. G was talking about?). The modern faster players often leave the swing out completely, even when playing slow. The music is just one long even tube where every note type has the same length regardless of its place in the rhythm grid of the tune, whereas in the "older style" the notes that go on the beat have a slightly longer value, and are accented more, creating a nice pulse or "jump" to the music. The notes between the pulses are a bit faster and on other instruments often played a little quieter. It took me a long time to even realize that the swing even exists in Irish trad, probably because of my background and the modern recordings I was listening to at first. Ever since finding the swing in this music I've been trying to learn to play with the right amount of it in different tunes.. :) Generally jigs get more than reels, hornpipes more than jigs etc.. makes the music more interesting and also affects the timing in your ornamentation.
Jarlath.I
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper currently living in Sitka AK. I am looking for information on piping and am looking forward to meet other pipers.

Post by Jarlath.I »

So do you think the evolution of the "new style" corresponds at all to playing for a "sit-down" audience, rather than for dancing? I'm guessing that the internal rhythm of Willie Clancy's music has a direct connection to what happened on the dance floor. Maybe I'm wrong, but probably few of us pipers (especially in the US) who have started playing within the last 15 years, have actually played at, or even been to, a dance where those internal rhythms are important. I think the rules are different if busking or playing for a "sit-down" audience.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Personally, I think the "new style" has been heavily influenced by the proliferation of judged contests and championships also. It's the nature of such things that to win, you need to do something faster, flashier, etc. than the last guy or the past year. And not make a single "mistake" - Seamus Ennis' records are full of squawks, squeaks and the occasional missed note but that is an integral part of the unique character and soul of his piping.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I contrast the OP's link, where no real music is played for the first 60 seconds or more, with the picture in my mind of Johnny Doran at a Fair with á wee girl' dancing on a laid down door panel trying to wrest a few hard earned pence from the crowd. Is this really progress?
Curmudgeonly,

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:wink: Rory, I'm not convinced its' tempo is quicker than any pipering I have ever heard. As far as it's origins are concerned, well, I think we all have heard examples of speedy playing throughout the recorded history of Uilleann piping. All of this aside, it's a lovely bit of playing. :) Mr. Gumby, what have you to say?
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Seamus Ennis' records are full of squawks, squeaks and the occasional missed note but that is an integral part of the unique character and soul of his piping
it's those things that keep me piping..
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Wouldn't you feel that whole linear approach with little attention to the internal rhythms of the tune is a fairly radical departure from older forms? Keenan was on that road but he seems to have pulled back a bit at some point. Moving Hearts certainly used that rhythmic approach too (and probably did a lot towards popularising it).
Is it that drastic of a departure? I know there isn't much in the way of recordings from the early 20th century, but Keenan, Spillane, even Finbarr Furey, seemed to play a bit like this, I think (haven't listened to any of them in a long time). Also, there's the whole "Armagh Piper's Club" influence / style. The Vallelys (not just pipes), for instance. It seems like it's a progression, not just something plucked out of the air. The end result does seem pretty audibly different from earlier / other styles, though.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

An Draighean wrote:Personally, I think the "new style" has been heavily influenced by the proliferation of judged contests and championships also. It's the nature of such things that to win, you need to do something faster, flashier, etc. than the last guy or the past year. And not make a single "mistake" - Seamus Ennis' records are full of squawks, squeaks and the occasional missed note but that is an integral part of the unique character and soul of his piping.
Most of Ennis' playing isn't that full of squawks or missed notes though. Especially when he was younger, the playing is fast, flashy (in the sense that there's lots of impressive stuff that's going on) and without mistakes. A better example might be Clancy (although I don't have much when he was younger), but with him it was because he was constantly trying different creative things, and the recordings are not some finished product, but just when he happened to be playing wherever. You make more mistakes when you're trying to do more off the cuff.

As far as competitions, I think that there's definitely a point beyond which they are more trouble than they're worth, however, at least in the US where people are spread out so very far, they help to bring young players together and offer inspiration, community, friendships, and great learning opportunities. There are loads of very good, very traditional, and very humble musicians that have won these competitions and can play fast and flashy, but also play slow, subtle, intricate, fantastic music.