Joe Kennedy??

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MeaghanEryn
antispam: No

Joe Kennedy??

Post by MeaghanEryn »

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian flute/whistle player contemplating delving into the world of Uilleann Pipes. I did a bit of poking around and found Joe Kennedy's name mentioned a few times, but the link to his site doesn't seem to be working. A number of other links seem to be out-dated, as well. A lot of people seem to recommend buying pipes from makers in their area: does anyone know of any other good Canadian makers (I've already seen C. J. Dixon's page)? I'm thinking of starting out on a practice set, just to keep costs down at the moment (I've spent waaay too much on instruments lately....).

Thanks in advance!

Meaghan
KevinNot10
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play pipes, flute, and whistle. Grew up in Canada, currently living in the UK. Current set is a Concert D David Quinn set c. 1980.

Re: Joe Kennedy??

Post by KevinNot10 »

Hey Meaghan,
I'm a piper in Winnipeg. I have been playing a CJ Dixon practice set for a while now and am quite happy with it (although the cold and dry have been doing terrible things to the reed). It's nice to hear about someone else who is going to try the foolhardy task of trying to learn the pipes on the Canadian Prairies. I would certainly give Chris your consideration as he makes quite a nice product and has a pretty quick turn-around time for "no frills" practice sets.

All the best,
Kevin
Flute, Whistle & Uilleann Pipes
Http://rinn.co
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Joe Kennedy is a fantastic maker of pipes but I'm not sure you want to wait that long. A few years back when I got on his list it was a 7 year wait, might be longer now. Your best bet is to buy a used practice set and find someone locally that is good with reed making.
Fergmaun

Post by Fergmaun »

When I enquired in May/June 2011, Joe was about to make a batch of D narrow bore chanters so I got a D narrow bore chanter from him when it was ready September 2011 via courier.

Wood he uses is ebony and applewood.

This is the email for Joe Kennedy unionpipemaker@yahoo.ca

This address also is
16 rousseau Drive
Simcoe,Ontario,
Canada.
N3Y-1E6

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Kieran O'Hare

Post by Kieran O'Hare »

Hi Meaghan,

Joe Kennedy is one of the finest pipemakers currently active in the world. He is in Canada, he is making pipes, and he is accepting orders. It would be best to contact him directly about prices and waiting times, rather than rely on speculation about what his current waiting list might be. His email, as Fergus Maunsell posted, is indeed unionpipemaker@yahoo.ca.

Best of luck!

Kieran O'Hare
MeaghanEryn

Post by MeaghanEryn »

Thanks all! Email sent! Are there any other Canadian pipe makers that you're aware of?
Colin29
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Colin29 »

MeaghanEryn wrote:Thanks all! Email sent! Are there any other Canadian pipe makers that you're aware of?
Neil O'Grady, Boris Favre, Eric reiswig.
An bhfuil cead agam dul amach go dti an leithreas
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I'm with Kieran. Joe's one of the best in the world, so start with him. He does have a wait for full sets, but will often have a batch of chanters with one or two not spoken for yet. BTW, I met you in Ottawa and was playing a set of his (well chanter and drones).
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Because of this thread, I contacted Joe, and lucked out-he's just making some chanters, so I'll get one in a couple of months. Great to deal with. 6 year waiting list as of 2 days ago.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
MeaghanEryn

Post by MeaghanEryn »

Thanks all for the posts, PMs, and emails! I'm going to to with a Joe Kennedy practice set for now (half set is a bit pricey for me to rationalize at this point), and should have it in about a year.
brassnebony

Post by brassnebony »

[Thread revival - Mod]

Hi guys sorry to jump in on an old thread but are there any active Uilleann pipers in Winnepeg? Have a friend looking for help starting out!!
jqpublick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jqpublick »

brassnebony wrote:[Thread revival - Mod]

Hi guys sorry to jump in on an old thread but are there any active Uilleann pipers in Winnepeg? Have a friend looking for help starting out!!
Check your pms. (Private messages, not ... you know...)

Mark