Happy International Day of Uilleann Piping

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jarlath.I
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper currently living in Sitka AK. I am looking for information on piping and am looking forward to meet other pipers.

Happy International Day of Uilleann Piping

Post by Jarlath.I »

:love: :D :love:
What do you have planned for today?
Or, if your event is over, How did it go? :thumbsup:
Johnered66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Happy International Day of Uilleann Piping

Post by Johnered66 »

Jarlath.I wrote::love: :D :love:
What do you have planned for today?
Or, if your event is over, How did it go? :thumbsup:
Paddy Keenan lesson in New Jersey. Yeah!!!
Neither weddin' nor wake would be worth a shake
If Denny was first not invited.
For at squeezin' the bag, or emptyin' the keg,
He astonished as well as delighted!
tritaffy

Post by tritaffy »

We had a great start , 7 of us turned up , played some tunes drank some tea , one of the surreal moments was having chips , Rick Lines playing his B set while watching the reed making on the tv :-) part 2 is a session to celebrate my 40th birthday. It just doesn't get better than this
Johnered66

Post by Johnered66 »

tritaffy wrote:We had a great start , 7 of us turned up , played some tunes drank some tea , one of the surreal moments was having chips , Rick Lines playing his B set while watching the reed making on the tv :-) part 2 is a session to celebrate my 40th birthday. It just doesn't get better than this

Happy Birthday. Cheers
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Playing pipes with harp accompaniment this evening for Quebec City's Irish Community.

This is a great initiative on the part of NPU. If nothing else, it gave me a gee-up to learn a few new tunes and brush up a few old ones.

I hope they'll repeat it again next year.
PJ
tritaffy

Post by tritaffy »

The day is over. Just got back from the pub. The session was pipe heavy but just a really god laugh. We all had a brilliant time. Good tunes , great company and a male voice choir as well. A perfect 40th birthday.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

i'm not that great so I didn't do any amazing sessions, but enjoyed playing here at home :)
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Johnered66

Post by Johnered66 »

It's 230 am est. Paddy was dead on. Great night of piping. Pints weren't bad either. Cheers
Kramden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kramden »

Fantastic day of piping in Chicago at the Irish American Heritage Center. We had an afternoon workshop lead by Tommy Martin and Pat Cannady, followed by an evening concert featuring several great pipers and musicians.

Props to our guest pipers Tommy Martin, Brendan McKinney, Pat Cannady, and the Dean of Chicago Irish Trad, Kevin Henry for his piping, flute playing and recitations. Also a shout out to Karen Cook-Cannady for her fiddle support, and for her and Pat dedicating their time to organize and run the event.

Truly a great night!
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

played my first 'house concert' :D (interesting trend, but thats another story)... exposed about 25 sets of ears to uilleann pipes, many for the first time live & in-person, in an up-close & personal way :love:
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

You're welcome kramden :thumbsup: :party: It was a blast, all right, although the success of the workshop belongs mostly to Tommy. It sounded to me as if you guys were making some progress and that you all got some useful takeaways from the experience.

We were very pleased to be able to partake of a global event with our piping brothers and sisters. The live streams from Dublin were wonderful, and several performances really struck me as memorable: Donncha Dwyer blazing away on a set of his own make, Gay McKeon's beautifully clean and musical playing on his old Coyne C set, Sean Og Potts's ornate chanter articulations, Nollaig MacCarthaigh and his lovely, talented family band, Mick and Aoife O'Brien's stunningly gorgeous duet, Kevin Rowsome with his nephew, Mark, and daughter Tiarna...just deadly stuff.

I'm pretty proud of our little concert, it was a small high quality event in a warm, intimate listening environment. After having been a guest at many a tionol it was a good experience to be involved in the planning and execution of such an event, and while on the whole things went well, we learned some things, too. We're enthused and this will not be the last time we put on such an affair. :party: :party: :party: :party:
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I busked and promoted The Day to perplexed - yet impressed - passersby.

Well done to the Cook Cannadys for their hard work in Chicago. :thumbsup:

t
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

The SCUPC hosted a piping workshop with Cillian Vallely (not to mention a flute workshop with Kevin Crawford) followed by house concert featuring Cillian and Kevin (with a cameo appearance by guitarist and mandolin player Mike Consadine). Due to space limitations, attendance was strictly limited to 30 people, so needless to say, we have 40 people at the concert. The music was brilliant, and a very high quality session followed. A huge thanks to our host, Michael O'Donovan, and a shout-out to Chris Kollgaard who supplied many of our folding chairs. Thanks also to Jamie, Fel, Steve and Chadd for their help with set-up and tear-down.

-Larry
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

tommykleen wrote:
Well done to the Cook Cannadys for their hard work in Chicago. :thumbsup:

t
Hear, hear! :-)

All the best to all of you. I spent the morning drinking tea and working on a couple of airs; first chance I've had to sit down and just do my own thing for yonks. Don't know what it sounded like, but it felt like heaven!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I played a show with a band in Salinas California.

Doing me bit,

Pats.