While We Were Drinking and Kissing The Ladies

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

While We Were Drinking and Kissing The Ladies

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've been spending a fair amount of time with the new CD from Michael "Blackie" O'Connell and Hugh Healy over the last week or so, and as I'm listening yet again I'm compelled to write and say it's top-drawer stuff. And no, I'm not biased because Blackie was such a blast as a teacher in the Catskills this year (OK, maybe a little).

But seriously, this CD is aces; really well-done. The tune selection, the playing, the engineering/mix & production are all just grand. And the general mood of the thing is, simply put, charming. There's the requisite seemingly effortless mighty technique -- but there's also sweetness, honesty and expression in Blackie's playing here that reminds me of Mickey Dunne. And Hugh Healy matches him perfectly on the concertina. Everything these guys do serves the music, even to their choice of accompaniments, and the result is eminently fun to hear. If you get the chance to pick it up I think you'll find it really enjoyable. All in all it's great music, and just as important (to me at least), great listening.

:party:
Last edited by Cathy Wilde on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Ailin

Re: While We Were Drinking and Kissing The Ladies

Post by Ailin »

Cathy,
I noticed this CD on NPU's site recently and was intrigued by the possibility of getting it. What key is the music mostly in? D or G I hope, something to learn and play along with.
Ailin
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I got me this one in May and it is a gem. I knew Blackie was a powerhouse, but Hugh was new to these ol' ears, and he gives no ground to the pipes here. Really great stuff, full of life. I was especially won over by the track Port na Ghra with that classic old 'tina sound.

I think all the pipey stuff is on a concert-pitched set.

t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
tritaffy

Post by tritaffy »

Blackie is a great piper and a brilliant laugh to be around. I got this album a while back , great stuff indeed although I can't say I like the march on it. If you like that then try the album "Foolin in Doolin" with Blackie and Karol Lynch on guitar/banjo , Tis a real gem
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

And :lol: , I love the march. I think it's a hoot. Ditto on the concert-pitch comment from tommy. And tritaffy, thanks for the "Foolin' in Doolin'" tip! I'll put it on the "hunt down" list. Always nice to have something to look forward to.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

He's also on the Doran weekend DVD that NPU put out a bit ago
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

We were lucky to meet both Blackie and Mickey Dunne during Willie Week. Great pipers both of them and nice blokes too. We met Blackie in Doolin outside of McGann's just by chance, didn't know he was playing that night. He's playing his new O'Briain set, but using the old chanter. He told us the interesting story of how he got his pipes, and he's playing gigs every night of the week. Blackie was a pupil of Mickey's, I didn't know that.

Mickey tried to help me out with a tenor reg. reed, but it wasn't possible to transplant an O'Briain reg. reed into a Williams regulator. Mickey played very well at the 1 p.m. piping recital.