Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
WannabePiper

Re: Antaine's Pipes

Post by WannabePiper »

gil and julie wrote:Antaine,

With regard to your January 18th posting, in which you state "all the artwork is my own", could you be more specific about your definition of "my own"? I seem to recall that in October of this past year, you posted information about lifting designs from the engraved Lynch set and then applying them to your own.

Is this what you mean by the artwork being your own? In the pictures of the regulators and drones in your recent postings the designs on the brass parts are identical to those on the engraved Lynch set, which just happens to be mine. I don't mind terribly that you pirated my work for your own use, however I take offense to the claim that the artwork is all your own. I spent many hours working out the design for each specific part; they were not taken from a website or a Dover book, but are my own creations and adaptations of existing motifs.

Perhaps you should clarify this for all readers of this forum, and give proper attribution where it is due.
I don't see where he claims the artwork as his own. He says he did the work and explains his transfer process quite clearly. He also linked to a previous post where he says he got the designs from your set. Maybe he should've asked permission to do so? In any case, your set is quite possibly on of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. you have done a masterful job. My hat's off to you.

edited:

After scrolling sideways, I see what you're referring to. "artwork on all by yours truly" not "all artwork" I take it back, but I still thinks he does acknowledge your work and does not really try to pass the actual design off as his own. It seems more like a semantic boo-boo.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Though similar in design, there are some differences in knotwork patterns...ie: the ends of the regulators are of a different design. The work around the valve/mainstock is of a separate design. The embellished chanter and windway are certainly different from the Lynch chanter.

I wouldn't doubt that this set's design was patterned after the Lynch set owned by gil and julie, but it is not an exact copy. There are some designs that are identical (like the markings around the drone slides and bass drone 'U' turn and reg keys), but I think that is where the similarity ends....hard to say without actually seeing the two instruments side by side.

Some say that imitation is a form of flattery. Others, I am sure, have quite a different opinion. I think both pipes must've taken a great deal of time to embellish, and as a result are quite pleasant to look at.
biliii

Post by biliii »

Last edited by biliii on Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Unusual but nice looking. Sorry to be so ignorant, but what kind of horn was used to be so black? Is it from something endangered that would cause you problems travelling as real ivory does?

djm
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Bison horn is usually that black. It's used extensively in Native American jewelry - chokers, breastplates and such.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Last edited by Tony on Tue May 11, 2004 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

I didn't think Andreas Rogge would be involved with Namerind jewellery making. As I understand it, every two hundred years the buffalo all get together and celebrate the bisontenial. :roll:

djm
Thies

Post by Thies »

I assume that also German cows are able to produce black horn! :)
But I might be wrong as I haven't been "home" for quite a while now ... (my memories fade slowly away ... even though I grew up in the country-side :D )
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I have a set almost identical excepting the metalwork is brass.Mine is in C.
With a straight bass drone.

The answer to the quiz is COW HORN !!!
Thies won the prize. :party: Well done Thies :)

How many Bison Herds are there roaming around the prairie lands in lill ol Tubingen!! Deutschland.:boggle: :boggle:

Tony wins the Boo Boo prize for getting it so authoritively wrang :wink: not only that but resplendant with a photo of the wrang beastie :roll:

My set sings sweetly
Liam
djm

Post by djm »

I guess they must come from the region of the Black Forest? :D I suppose it would behoof me to stop the cow jokes now. :D

djm
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

biliii wrote:hi:

just got a full set from Andreas Rogge in boxwood, silver and horn.

i am exceedingly happy with the end result. chanter really barks. workmanship outstanding. Andreas is a wonderful person as is his bud Jens. Now i am very busy. Great fun.

regards

bil
Hi bil, congratulations,

Did the set take long in the mail?

Patrick.
biliii

Post by biliii »

Last edited by biliii on Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

Great link and great set.

Thx,

djm
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

...how long a wait, if I may be so bold.

Boldly,
t
biliii

Post by biliii »

Last edited by biliii on Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.