Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Yeah, just page up a bit. I was pretty greedy on the last page. ;)

The chanter is the oldest piece, and you can see it's the darkest. The other pieces are a year or two newer.

Stuart
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

[19 jan updated pics on the server. pics now reflect current condition of pipes]

okay...here goes...tim britton rebuilt Pakistani set with bruce childress 2-key (hopefully soon to be 4-key) chanter (artwork on all by yours truly) been debating whether or not i want to make a cover for the bag, i haven't yet for a couple reasons
1)
the suedey leather exactly matches the bellows
B)
the cover on my other bag really showed the wear after awhile
Yellow)
i kinda think it looks nice "rustic"...it's the blue strip on the bellows i'd change if i could...i think, tho, i'm going to dye the tie around the neck brown so it doesn't stand out quite so much...

closeup of the reg keys

and finally the chanter and business end of the drones. no sound-box termination on the bass drone, but what can you do?

well...waddya think?
Last edited by Antaine on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
innerhand

Post by innerhand »

Very Beautiful!!

Is the metal parts engraved? Who did the work?
It seems that that the recent MidEast set takes the desigh from
Mr.Kirk Lynch's work.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Nobody but lil' ol' me with way too much time on his hands...

hehehe...I told you it would look that way...

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0
scroll down to my Oct7 entry (the longer one)

actually, the polish was the last step...

I used this same method on the brass of my wooden flute, and to put my friend's monogram on the support ovals on the harp i built her.
innerhand

Post by innerhand »

:o :o :boggle: :boggle: It's a magic!!!
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

yeah..initially i had intended the nailpolish to simply bond the ink to the plastic label and keep it from smudging thru persperation, and to bond the edge of the label so nothing could get under it and peel it up, but when i applied it i was surprised to find that it infused the plastic somehow, making it completely transparent (it had just been "translucent" before) in addition to doing the other things i wanted it to do.

and the best part? it does nothing permanent to the pipes. i actually had improved the knot design and applied these today, after having peeled off the ones there previously. it's good if you change your mind, or one of the labels gets scraped or otherwise damaged and needs to be replaced.

i took the wider design, and printed a contiuous strip on "copper parchment" paper, punched holes for the tacks, and applied the strip to the blue thing on the bellows with superglue, and (of course) clear nailpolish over that and it looks really nice and matches the rest of the set.

i did even impress myself with this one...

the harp picture is in the "OT origin of the brass chanter" post i made...i built that one from scratch and did all the artwork on it as well...
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

innerhand, Kirk Lynch doesn't engrave his sets,
and it's not an option... the set on Kirk's website
was hand engraved by Gil Hocker. Just to clarify.
innerhand

Post by innerhand »

Yha, the most beautiful set I've ever seen. I read that the engraving is not his work.
I heard that some of the mideast sets follows the desighn of Mr.Britton's work but the drones and Reg desighn of Antaine's set reminds me of Mr.Lynch's work. just like the set sold in Eldery recently.

Antaine your set looks great!
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

as i'm looking at the lynch set more...i may be adding more stuff, like where the bass reg is soldered to the mainstock (under my name)

based on what i've seen, mideast chanters (for this model, not the silver model in the jesus thread) are reminiscent of britton... the drones/regs/stock of the lynch are remarkably similar to mine...surprisingly so...but then again, that's what inspired me to do what i did, and why it worked (keys were the same shape etc)

i figured my set needed something...each of the "engravings" on mine covers a set of decorative grooves (between three and five)...problem with the grooves was, aside from being mundane, they were not uniform, neither in number nor in depth...they would seem to "fade" in and out as they went around. in addition, the reg keys have three problems
1) you can see two little round things that had been polished flush to the surface of the key, this was where the key was riveted ( i guess) to the stem...it just seems to use a slightly different color brass...this was not much of a real problem as they were invisible at three feet
2) none of the keys is symmetrical
3) no two reg keys are the same shape

they symmetrical and uniform "engravings" help trick the eye into seeing the keys as more regular

something i do have a slight problem with, no two keys have the same tension...my regulators need to be regulated lol...but seriously...i would like them all to be a bit tighter, but i don't want to mail my set anywhere nor do i want to leave it anywhere. do you think a woodwind/brasswind shop like Dillon's would tinker with or replace the springs while you wait? any ideas on how i might be able to regulate these myself?
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

oh, and question...since you seem to feel it looks nice...

think there's a market for the sheets? "customize your pipes" I dunno...i thought i was the only person crazy enuff to try...
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

My half set arrived on Friday!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

I would have posted pictures earlier, but I couldn't find the camera transfer cable...and I was spending all of my time playing the little beastie! :D :D

All is well, except the gorillas at the shipping company managed to break the end cap on one of the drones. Fortunately, that was all that was damaged and Ray is sending a replacement.

They managed to knock the chanter reed loose so it was rattling around inside the windway...so its a wonder nothing else was damaged.

Ray Sloan Concert D, narrow bore, african blackwood, fully mounted 1/2 set (yes, it's left handed)

There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

schweeeet... 8)
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
pipemaniac

Post by pipemaniac »

my fisrt full set of pipe, it arrive a week ago
let's the battle begin!!!!
[img]
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ui ... t&.hires=t[/img][/img]
Paul

Post by Paul »

Congratulations, Gary. You must be a happy man. Have you called in sick yet? :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Gary's Sloan Pipes

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hey, there just isn't enough S's in the word 'sweet' to describe you new pipes, but there you have it...SSSSSSweet pipes dude. Send me more photos once you find your camera cable