Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Kevin, the image must be accessable directly from the internet. If you are linking it to your hard drive you have to have your DNS and be online for us to see it.

----

Bb eh?... wouldn't happen to have a sound file on that would you?
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

5 regs eh?what would that be called ,we have 1/2,3/4 & full sets so what term for above.
Any pictures???
Liam
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

It's a set and a half! :D Peter Heelan called it the set with a roll bar.

Ted
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

wouldn't that be a 6/4 set?
djm

Post by djm »

That would be the equivalent of the Fifth Quadrant. :lol:

djm
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

It's a frickin' monstrosity, is what it is. Just a bit heavy. I should have ordered 5 regs in F or something...
Naw! It's glorious when it all comes together. I do unplug the big reg a lot of the time, when I'm not up to it. Sorry about the visual bungle, the IPC's website published a photo of me and article about the giant bagpipe, if you want to see what the big deal is. Here's the URL: http://www.irishpipersclub.org//Page001.html I'll keep working on getting some pix online.
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Darn nice looking pipes, Kevin, and hopefully a sound clip of the whole thing going will soon find its way here. I'd love to hear it.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Kevin, :o :o :o That is awesome! Now I can see why you've been raving about Brad Angus' work for so long. I remember your posts about it on PD's old messageboard. I can't wait to see some other pics. Sound clips??? ...Good to see you posting here, man.
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Lemme work on it a bit (sound clips, more pics). Actually with the heat of summer and all I've been playing just a practice set! You hafta practice, I figured it's time to kill all these mistakes, lapses in technique, for ever.
Leo Rowsome had Paddy Maloney, Liam O'Flynn, and Joe McKenna play just a practice set for 4 or 5 years. They're all, uh, pretty good for it, don't you agree? Of course Paddy Keenan and Seamus Ennis were probably playing the regulators perfectly after a week or two, the Basmatis...
Some more, newer Angus pipemaking: Go to this link: http://www.pbase.com/eskin/b_session_at ... e_festival
These are pictures of Pat D'Arcy, Michael Eskin (the website owner), and Larry Dunn playing in B. The regulators of Larry Dunn's set are by Brad, including the bishop's miter on the bass reg. That's mammoth ivory, too. The rest is by Peter Hunter, an English maker who doesn't build stuff anymore, I understand.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Kevin wrote:Actually with the heat of summer and all I've been playing just a practice set! You hafta practice, I figured it's time to kill all these mistakes, lapses in technique, for ever.
psssst....I think what he means is that he'd like to surpass Patsy Touhy before he makes his debut. Last time I heard him playing his pipes, (about 4 years ago) he was playing some pretty flashy stuff on his D set, tight running triplets, ect. :D
hellbound skunk

Post by hellbound skunk »

Hello all. I am new to the board so i thought I would post a pic of my set for your veiwing pleasure/interest/non-interest. Its a D half set by Adrian Jefferies in ebony and brass with blackwood chanter. Nothing fancy to look at (simplicity is best) but quite a sound
Has anyone else here come in contact Adrians pipes? I noticed there wasn't much information on them here and was wondering if anyone other me has an opinion. I personally think that his pipes are very nice, especially the chanter, just the right volume/not overbearing, yet strong in a large session. He also puts shellac on his reeds which makes them very stable, major plus.

throw soup on you and wallow in scalding pain as you die until you are dead! big heavy thing falls on body, entrails fly.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Hi Hellbound--I always wanted to say that to someone :D (Preston right?) Nice web site you have there. Geocities is kinda tricky, they may not allow x-pic posting, I'm not sure. But here's another way to get there (I think).

http://www.geocities.com/prescott_the_m ... /Home.html

Scroll down to "musical instruments" then to "uilleann pipes" for some great pictures of your pipes.
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Pipe Photos

Post by Mike Hulme »

Here are two photos of my pipes. They were built by Chris Bayley, and are a copy of a Brennan set, with Taylor style keywork. Keywork is all nickel-silver. The ferrules are tapered rather than parallel. They are due to be upgraded with Taylor style quad-bored regulators in the near future, together with a stop key and chanter popping valve.

They play beautifully; the volume is good, the tone is sweet and the drones are not overbearing.

Mike
Sean Dillon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sean Dillon »

Half set of Charles Roberts flats in B

Very nice tone and sweet lively chanter. Mr Roberts after sales isn't the best though. I had a problem, enquired about it, but he felt fit not to reply to me. :(

http://orlagh.20m.com/robertspipes.htm
Last edited by Sean Dillon on Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
sturob

Post by sturob »

It's amazing how similar that set looks, on the whole, to Hamish Moore border pipes (boxwood/cocobolo/brass). I don't have a picture of mine, but here's a shot from Moore's website: