Soft D / Hard D - in tune together

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Calum Stewart
antispam: No

Soft D / Hard D - in tune together

Post by Calum Stewart »

I've tried to find a thread about this, but couldn't find... sorry if this is a repetition.

More related to reed adjustment, than making, but does anyone have any advice with regard to getting soft AND hard D in tune together?
I wonder if there is an adjustment that can be made, to maintain the tuning of these notes? Just now, my hard D is pretty much in, but if anything a little sharp... soft D being quite flat. It's a handy thing to have both notes in tune.
cheers,
Calum

P.S For concert chanter ;-)
L42B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Soft D / Hard D - in tune together

Post by L42B »

Good luck with that. Only once in my eight years of piping have I managed to get it in tune. However as a result I got a very, very flat high E. It seems to depend on the read, thats the long and short of it.

L42B :)
"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America." President Barack H. Obama, from his Inaugural Speech as the 44th President of the United States of America.
Calum Stewart

Post by Calum Stewart »

Yeah, I know what you mean.
Having said that, I've had both in tune for a good long time on this reed and in this chanter, and on other chanters too. For some reason the tunings gone for the moment So, I don't think it's a magic 'eclipse' that happens every 10 years by accident! I'm sure there must be a way to influence the reed to do that. ( I hope!)
Calum
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

On Mick O Brian's CD The May Morning Dew, on that very song, there's a point where his Bottom D shifts from hard to soft and both seem to be exactly in tune. Amazing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
rgouette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it NOT supposed to happen?
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Brian Howard invented the iris to tune the two Ds. It is a ferrule with variable opening on the bell of the chanter. Turn the ferrule to open or close the bell by degrees. A bit of rush will do it. Vary the size of the rush for tuning. I realize most tutors don't cover this, but it is rather basic.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

My hard D on my C set is in tune, but the soft D is flat. I haven't found the right geometry of my reed to get those in tune

On Mick O Brian's CD The May Morning Dew, on that song, he even gets a hard and soft E that were in tune. That's really neat.
andymay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andymay »

Yo C

If you reckon they have been in tune with that chanter/reed, then have a think about what's changed?

I discovered recently that bridle placement (in my quest for loudness) can really screw up the tuning of those notes with my chanter and reeds, but tedious small adjustments reversed the effect and brought them back in tune again.

Another wee thing to try if you don't have an iris is to partially tape the exit hole of the chanter. Looks like crap but can change the nature of the Ds a bit, seems to bring a slightly sharp hard D down a bit, affecting the soft D less (also can make hard D easier to get too)

Have fun!!

A