WTB: Ezee-drone reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bobblee001
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: WTB: Ezee-drone reeds

Post by bobblee001 »

Thanks for the info.

Bob
mke_mick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

Phil, on your composite reed bodies, do you use the inserted/soldered rod strictly as a handle, or do you insert it all the way into the tube so that it gets filed down along with the lay, perhaps to prevent the walls of the tube from getting squashed? Seems like the latter would make for harder filing (besides, any wall-squashing could be corrected by pushing the rod all the way through after filing, and using it as a mandrel, right?).

Also, how do you close the end? I began making one of these yesterday, but had trouble with Quinn's suggested (but not preferred) method of cutting the end, folding it up, and soldering it.

I think I didn't have it closed tightly enough to get good capillary action. Maybe soldering in a plug made of sawed-off rod is easier? Note that I'm using 96% tin / 4% silver solder, with borax paste for flux -- does that sound correct?

Thanks,
Mick
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

mke_mick wrote:Phil, on your composite reed bodies, do you use the inserted/soldered rod strictly as a handle, or do you insert it all the way into the tube so that it gets filed down along with the lay, perhaps to prevent the walls of the tube from getting squashed? Seems like the latter would make for harder filing (besides, any wall-squashing could be corrected by pushing the rod all the way through after filing, and using it as a mandrel, right?).
I had to push it a bit past where the lay would be files to get enough leverage on the file so that the handle didn't pop out.
mke_mick wrote:Also, how do you close the end?
I used a piece of flat brass and soldered on the end, then I filed the excess off.

mke_mick wrote:I think I didn't have it closed tightly enough to get good capillary action. Maybe soldering in a plug made of sawed-off rod is easier? Note that I'm using 96% tin / 4% silver solder, with borax paste for flux -- does that sound correct?
I used a very short piece of rod to plug my tenor drone as that was the only rod I had that would fit the inside of the tube. I used the plain old electrical solder, the tin/lead combo with the flux inside the solder.
mke_mick

Post by mke_mick »

Thanks for the clarification! :-)

As luck would have it, my neighborhood hardware store has brass rod in 5/32" and 3/16" diameters, which fit inside 3/16" (tenor) and 7/32" (baritone) tubing, respectively. I found a "DIY knife construction" website selling 7/32" brass rod, which should fit inside 1/4" (bass) tubing. So, now I can try making both flat-covered and plug-filled ends.

All of which makes good practice at soldering, at which I've always wanted to achieve competence...

Cheers,
Mick