Bellows inlet valve

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
piperD1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Bellows inlet valve

Post by piperD1 »

Does anyone know where i can buy a good inlet valve for the bellows and a bag blow tube stock.
The Blacksmith

Re: Bellows inlet valve

Post by The Blacksmith »

For the tube between the bellows and bag, I use a section of tubeless bicycle tire with a leather sheath over it.
Its thick walled rubber, very flexible and bends easily.

But I have wondered where the that black corrugated rubber hose comes from that I have seen in use, it looks like small diameter radiator hose.

Tim
magroibin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by magroibin »

Hi Tim,

Most hardware shops carry it and you can usually purchase by the length.
In Canada check out Rona, Canadian Tire, or TSC store. I always keep a few lengths of different diameters around for any unforeseen bellows issues.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

piperD1 wrote:Does anyone know where i can buy a good inlet valve for the bellows.....
Buying..you'd probably have to place an order with a pipe maker for the entire bellows & blowpipe;

OR visit a pipe maker who would be willing to fix up just the valve for you,

as for DIY:
there is a thread here somewhere about how to use a baking pin roller to roll out a small amount of silicone caulk onto wax piper (IIRC). Wait for it to cure, cut out the proper shape and tye it onto your existing valve mount.

Havent done it myself yet, I usually have enough bits of leather lying around to make it happen.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Bellows inlet valves are not standard. You'll need to have someone make one, or fit a replacement yourself.

Depending on the design, and the condition of the existing inlet piece, this may be a feasible DIY repair. Photos would be helpful if you want to seek help from the Forum.

NPU (www.pipers.ie) sells the corrugated bellows hoses.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eight-Vinyl-Caps-Fi ... 3cb28cbe39

If you cut these with a razor and shove them on a suitable pipe they make perfect valves
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

piperD1 wrote:Does anyone know where i can buy a good inlet valve for the bellows and a bag blow tube stock.
Here's a inlet valve I made for my bellows, is this what you had in mind?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 1597255292
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

LiL'Mac valve works well as bag inlet valve
billh

Post by billh »

uilleannfinlander wrote:LiL'Mac valve works well as bag inlet valve
It'll void your warranty.... I don't recommend Lil Mac at all for uilleann pipe inlet valves.

The main reason is that the valve's seat is tapered, thus it puts tension on the thin-walled part of the bag stock tube when it's inserted into it; the stock pipe is usually designed to be wrapped and thus in compression rather than tension. Not a good idea - I've seen multiple cases of sets whose blowpipes were cracked by these. At the very least I'd recommend consulting with your maker before thinking of installing a Little Mac.

The Havalena diagram (second link posted by fancypiper) shows a reasonable way to replace the bellows inlet valve, if you have enough room inside the bellows for the metal strip, and if there's a slot that can fit it tightly enough in the side of the valve insert.

Bill
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

billh wrote:
uilleannfinlander wrote:LiL'Mac valve works well as bag inlet valve
I don't recommend Lil Mac at all for uilleann pipe inlet valves.
I've seen multiple cases of sets whose blowpipes were cracked by these.
Nor would I be keen on taking one of LilMac;s handy-dandy fluted reamers to my uilleann blowpipe. :o
However, If youre talking about disasembling the lil mac,
& using only the flat flapper "coin & O-ring" shaped bit,
this can work just fine;
depending of course on bore id,
& how clever one';s knot & tying skills are.
Johnered66

Post by Johnered66 »

The Blacksmith wrote:For the tube between the bellows and bag, I use a section of tubeless bicycle tire with a leather sheath over it.
Its thick walled rubber, very flexible and bends easily.

But I have wondered where the that black corrugated rubber hose comes from that I have seen in use, it looks like small diameter radiator hose.

Tim
I think some use the hose from garden ponds. Check with a garden center.
Neither weddin' nor wake would be worth a shake
If Denny was first not invited.
For at squeezin' the bag, or emptyin' the keg,
He astonished as well as delighted!
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

If it's a bellows inlet valve repair, it's something you should approach yourself unless you're truly a poor, poor craftsman. A little bit of the right kind of leather, a tiny bit of beeswax or other 'bag sealant' on it after you cut it, get it warm (on a radiator or heater of some sort) to 'fit it' against the wood-tube portion of the valve, then tie it on (depending on the variety of valve).

If you need a new one and aren't crafty, it's much better to go with a pipemaker.

I didn't love the Lil'Mac rubber valve when I tried using one 'in my youth.' It didn't work nearly as well as a thin leather one I made using the above technique.
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
jackieboyce
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jackieboyce »

The connecting tube between the bellows and the bag, when making bellows, I use 3/4" rubber heater hose (with soft leather to match the leather on the bellows stitched over)
You can buy it for around 50 pence from most Auto Part stores. They store it all coiled up, so when you buy it, it has a lazy bend in it that curves around from the bellows to connect to your bag. Hope this is of some help.

Jackie Boyce (www.pipebagmaker.com)
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

The Little Mac valves also don't pass enough air, quickly enough. The inlet diameter seems a little small, which translates to more effort pumping. At least that has been my experience, through quite a bit of experimentation.