Pipers Ethnicity

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Pipers Ethnicity

Post by CHasR »

s1m0n wrote:The GHBs do only one thing well, albeit that superbly. So much so that the few freaks wresting funk or jazz from their pipes can do so only by committing brazen acts of imagination, miscegenation and perversion.
hmmmmmm....I really do quite disagree with much of this, but to elucidate would simply not be in keeping with the tenor of the thread, (or the UP forum for that matter)..wish this had been posted elsewhere. :(
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

CHasR wrote:
s1m0n wrote:The GHBs do only one thing well, albeit that superbly. So much so that the few freaks wresting funk or jazz from their pipes can do so only by committing brazen acts of imagination, miscegenation and perversion.
hmmmmmm....I really do quite disagree with much of this, but to elucidate would simply not be in keeping with the tenor of the thread, (or the UP forum for that matter)..wish this had been posted elsewhere. :(
Really? I can think of one example - each - of GH pipers playing non-bagpipe repertoire; these are

1. breton Bagad pipe-bands;
2. a wild field-recording from the seventies in which a rite being conducted at hindu temple in India are accompanied by a piper playing the relevent music on a set of highland pipes, and
3. the black american jazz musician who bills himself as the world's only jazz piper but whose name I'm drawing a blank on.

I know there are a few post-colonial nations* in which military pipe bands still exist as a legacy of what were once british colonial regiments, but I think most or all of these went on playing the same military pipeband music they were before.

*India, Pakistan, several arab nations and Idi Amin's Uganda, for example.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by uilleannfinlander »

whatta hell this goingto be again...ligthheads-symphony about whatever... could moderator move or close this thread now...or maybesomebody look subject again
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

uilleannfinlander wrote:whatta hell this goingto be again...ligthheads-symphony about whatever... could moderator move or close this thread now...or maybesomebody look subject again
:-?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

s1m0n wrote:3. the black american jazz musician who bills himself as the world's only jazz piper but whose name I'm drawing a blank on.
Rufus Harley (RIP)? I seem to remember that name when there was/is a bagpipe newsgroup.
Last edited by fancypiper on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

uilleannfinlander wrote:whatta hell this goingto be again...ligthheads-symphony about whatever... could moderator move or close this thread now...or maybesomebody look subject again
Stop raging...... perleeez. :love:
Go and play a tune or something and see this fer whit it is...light hearted banter.
Now then, back to the topic...does it matter which country a goat comes frae to make a Bodhrán ? or does it only matter to the goat? :wink:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Do goats actually play the uilleann pipes? :tomato:
mayo_piper

Post by mayo_piper »

Considering my moniker is Mayo_Piper...my grandfather came over from Mayo and married my grandmother who just arrived from Roundstone, Galway.

Me? Born and bred in New York and now living in North Carolina!
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

I'm Irish on both sides, Cavanaugh/Hunt and Kelleher/McNamara. I'm also German-Goetschel (from Bonn) and Scottish-Gordon.

For some reason people seem to think Sean James Cavanaugh is Russian though. But right now I live in Milwaukee, and they try to twist everything into German or Polish descent. :lol:

Seriously? Cavanaugh ---> Cavanof? Cavanov? Who knows...
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

sjcavy wrote:I'm Irish on both sides, Cavanaugh/Hunt and Kelleher/McNamara. I'm also German-Goetschel (from Bonn) and Scottish-Gordon.

For some reason people seem to think Sean James Cavanaugh is Russian though. But right now I live in Milwaukee, and they try to twist everything into German or Polish descent. :lol:

Seriously? Cavanaugh ---> Cavanof? Cavanov? Who knows...
That is funny and interesting. Kavanov(á) is a legitimate Slavic name and is found in Czech Republic and Slovakia in fairly wide distribution. I believe it could also be found in other Slavic lands.
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

That's cool to know. Wonder if it went to Ireland sometime and transferred.
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

fancypiper wrote:
s1m0n wrote:3. the black american jazz musician who bills himself as the world's only jazz piper but whose name I'm drawing a blank on.
Rufus Harley (RIP)? I seem to remember that name when there was/is a bagpipe newsgroup.
Thank you; that's exactly who I was thinking of.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Uilliam wrote: Now then, back to the topic...does it matter which country a goat comes frae to make a Bodhrán ? or does it only matter to the goat? :wink:
Uilliam
The analogy was serious...If an American Goat was used to make a Bodhrán I am sure it would sound the same as an Irish Goat.The only thing being the Irish Goat would probably be quite pleased.The same with the Irish Pipes.They would sound the same if it was an American playing or an Irish player.However which player would be more pleased? All in the mind,tis all in the mind.
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Well boys and girls, I'm 100% filipino on both sides. Salamat Po
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Uilliam wrote:
Uilliam wrote: Now then, back to the topic...does it matter which country a goat comes frae to make a Bodhrán ? or does it only matter to the goat? :wink:
Uilliam
The analogy was serious...If an American Goat was used to make a Bodhrán I am sure it would sound the same as an Irish Goat.The only thing being the Irish Goat would probably be quite pleased.The same with the Irish Pipes.They would sound the same if it was an American playing or an Irish player.However which player would be more pleased? All in the mind,tis all in the mind.
Uilliam
Does any one know what Uilliam is trying to say? :boggle:
PJ