Two days 'til the Northeast Tionol!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
skipjam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Two days 'til the Northeast Tionol!

Post by skipjam »

How many pipers does it take to clog the streets of East Durham, New York? Well, I don't know either, but I think we are about to find out!

We have been very happy with the registrations for piping and fiddling classes and workshops. We still have some space, so if you have been sitting on the fence, wondering if you should come, just do it. Again, we have the great pleasure of welcoming Tiarnan O'Duinnchinn, Gay McKeon, Cillian Vallely, Eamonn Dillon, Kara Doyle and Benedict Koehler as our piping instructors. (Benedict will be doing reeds and maintenance in addition to leading workshops.) Rose Conway Flanagan and Patrick Ourceau will be handling the fiddle classes and workshops. Check out the website for more details, and do consider coming if you can.

One of the best things about this event is the number of fantastic musicians, many of whom have been instructors at the tionol in years past, who just come around for the craic. This year will be no exception as I have heard through the grapevine that several well-known pipers plan to be there. Patrick Hutchinson is one of those pipers, and he is offering private lessons to those who are interested. We'll have details at the registration table about how to get with Patrick, or just tap him on the shoulder if you see him playing in a session.

OK. Back to finishing up the details and getting packed! Safe travels to all of you who are making your way to East Durham.

All the best, Skip
Clarinetcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Two days 'til the Northeast Tionol!

Post by Clarinetcat »

Enjoy, sounds like it should be a great event! :thumbsup:
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Yay! Hopefully riding my motorcycle down from Toronto! Weather better old up!!

(now to think of a clever way to pack the pipes!)
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

In 17 hours I'll be on my way to the airport :-) :-) :-) Can't wait; this is my favorite music event of the year. Safe travels, all!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Really sad I can't make it this year. Looks to be a great year!

-Patrick
Clarinetcat

Post by Clarinetcat »

How many folks typically attend this particular event?
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I'll be there with bells on.

...They're still in fashion, right?

t
woodshampoo

Post by woodshampoo »

I'm really pissed I can't make it this year Skip. Work is not letting me...they suck! Next year it'll be a priority on my work calendar for sure!

All the best,
Erik van der Leeuw
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

Hello everyone,so iam packing the truck with pipes to leave for Northeast Tinol,and the post man pulls up,and hands me a package from Joe Samson ,with 30 pieces of Cali Gold!Talk about timing!Thanks Joe Razzmaster,and myself are off to are first uilleann piping weekend.WOO HOO! :D
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hope you all have a great time! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Patrick.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

362 days 'til the next Northeast Tionol! :-)

It was AWESOME. I really can't see how a piping weekend could be any better. Huge props to the organizers, and many thanks to the teachers and performers -- especially to KAD, whose slow air at the concert was one of the loveliest things these ears have ever heard. Her other sets were pretty spectacular, too! Way to go, KAD!

Also ... Benedict Kohler's reedmaking and maintenance workshops were brilliant; tons and tons of stuff we farflung pipers need to know. If it's even remotely possible to attend next year, you should start planning now.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
KAD

Post by KAD »

Cathy Wilde wrote:362 days 'til the next Northeast Tionol! :-)

It was AWESOME. I really can't see how a piping weekend could be any better. Huge props to the organizers, and many thanks to the teachers and performers -- especially to KAD, whose slow air at the concert was one of the loveliest things these ears have ever heard. Her other sets were pretty spectacular, too! Way to go, KAD!

Also ... Benedict Kohler's reedmaking and maintenance workshops were brilliant; tons and tons of stuff we farflung pipers need to know. If it's even remotely possible to attend next year, you should start planning now.
Aw, shucks, thanks, Cathy! :love: It was great to see you, and I'm glad a good time was had by all and sundry. Only 51 weeks till the next one...tick, tick, tick...

KAD
PiperTim

Post by PiperTim »

Cathy Wilde wrote:362 days 'til the next Northeast Tionol! :-)

Agreed. It was really well organized and was a great lineup. I find it really hard to believe that KAD had never even participated in the Piper's Chair before this event. (Not counting the Rice Krispies® song a couple years ago...)

I love attending this each year. It's such a great motivator.
KAD

Post by KAD »

PiperTim wrote:Agreed. It was really well organized and was a great lineup. I find it really hard to believe that KAD had never even participated in the Piper's Chair before this event. (Not counting the Rice Krispies® song a couple years ago...)
I can't believe it either -- should have done it long ago. Good for you, Tim, for getting up there and getting some solo performance experience! and thanks for the compliments. We aim to please!

Cheers
KAD
PiperTim

Post by PiperTim »

KAD wrote:Good for you, Tim, for getting up there and getting some solo performance experience!
Ha! Wrong Tim. No way am I competent enough to do that.