Help! Pipes Photo's

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
patsky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Help! Pipes Photo's

Post by patsky »

How do I make a link to a photo in Facebook so that it may be viewed by all.

Pat Sky
Last edited by patsky on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
Ailin
antispam: No

Re: Help! Photo's

Post by Ailin »

You can upload the photos into an album and make them viewable by all people or you could just simply copy the link into your "what's on your mind" box at the top of your facebook page and then click on share.
Ailin
He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
patsky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Help! Photo's

Post by patsky »

What I meant was How do I make a link to a photo in Facebook so that it may be viewed by all in the forum.

Thanks,
Pat
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Help! Pipes Photo's

Post by MTGuru »

Pat, just insert the URL of the photo in your post, and surround the URL with img tags. See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23407
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I'm not sure that you can link a photo on Facebook to this forum. Facebook is, strictly speaking, a members only site (even though it has millions of members), so you'll have to host the photos elsewhere and then link them as MTGuru suggested. A hosting site which I often use is www.imageshack.us
PJ
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

If you can't see the above image then I think PJ is correct. The above was done as MTGuru suggested (copying the image URL from FB and pasting here with Img tags) and I can't see it when I review my post. Looks like you'll have to use another site to host the file (Image Shack, Photobucket, Box, etc).

You can right click your image on Facebook (make sure you grab the full size image and not the thumbnail), save it to your machine and then upload it to one of the hosting sites mentioned above. Share that url here with Img tags and you're set.
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

If the photo you want to put on the forum is on your own facebook, and not in someone else's album, you can scroll to the bottom of the page (of the photo, or entire album you want displayed here) and find something that says "Share this photo with anyone by sending them this public link:" followed by a link. Just put that link in a post. [img/] tags will not work with the link, but a clickable link is just as good

If the picture is in someone else's album,or you don't feel comfortable distributing your facebook, you can just save it to your computer and upload to Imageshack as others said.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

straycat82 wrote:If you can't see the above image then I think PJ is correct. The above was done as MTGuru suggested (copying the image URL from FB and pasting here with Img tags) and I can't see it when I review my post. Looks like you'll have to use another site to host the file (Image Shack, Photobucket, Box, etc).
Well, you're right that I didn't take into account any FB-specific quirks about deep linking.

But that link doesn't look like a URL per se, if there's no actual resource (i.e. photo, jpg file, whatever) located at that address. If there's a script in between the link and whatever the FB server does to fetch the image, then the img tags won't work here. Basically, if you can paste the URL into your browser's address bar and bring up the image directly, the img tags will display it here.

And heck, I'm not going to log into my soul-sucking FB account to check it out. :evil:

straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I only know one way to get the link and that's to right click on the image > properties > copy the url. I'm not much more web savvy than that. Maybe there is a way to get at that resource, if so then it's beyond me.

[img]29234_124504620905139_100000368062997_220380_4166875_n.jpg[/img]

This is the only other thing in the properties box and it isn't an acutal url.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

...but look what happens when I combine the two... interesting. I guess it can be done.

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Ah, there you go. :-)

straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

You just have to look at the two url's given in the properties box and figure out where they overlap and cut out the redundancies and you have a good picture link. Kind of a weird way to do it but it works!

pt. 1: 29234_124504620905139_100000368062997_220380_4166875_n.jpg
pt. 2: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs352.snc3/29234_124504620905139_100000368062997
Combined with redundancies removed: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs352.snc3/29234_124504620905139_100000368062997_220380_4166875_n.jpg