RIP, Bernard Grigsby

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

RIP, Bernard Grigsby

Post by fancypiper »

I was searching through some old recordings and I found this tune that was recorded on the spur of the moment in my son Craig's bedroom just before Craig built his home recording and producing studio. I found this:

The Fairy Child

I know it really takes a good reach to turn on/off the bass drone on C pipes. I certainly can't do it, no matter how I twist and turn.
Last edited by fancypiper on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: RIP, Bernard Grigsby

Post by Brazenkane »

It's great to hear Bernard! I was just thinking about him the other day. He was such a nice and gentle soul. He passed away too soon, and is sorely missed.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
rgouette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Could you lads enlighten those of us who are not familiar with Bernard Grigsby?
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I met Bernard Grigsby when I attended Irish week in Elkins WV. I was blown away with his bright red bag cover.

I was taking reedmaking and he was taking piping.

I got him to attend the Clifftop string band festival in WV and he camped with me. We really bonded and we visited each other for up to 2 weeks at a time.

We attended many events and festivals together, including footmad, the tionals in St. Louis MO and Chapel Hill NC as well as several old fiddlers conventions as well, including Galax VA, about 20 miles from here.

He had the most musical toys I had ever seen, 3 full sets in D, C and B, several other chanters, NSP SSP, flutes, whistles, guitars, banjos Sicilian mouth pipes, etc. He didn't have any hurdy gurdies, though.

Bernard passed away at his home at age 52 from a brain aneurysm on Feb 2 2010.

He was a true gentleman and my best friend.

Please post your memories of Bernard. The more I read about him, the more I am impressed with him.
Last edited by fancypiper on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

wow, a loss for ya mate.

peace, and thanks for that history.
Sounds like he was a fine man.
R
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

He always had time for me. I first met him on the phone..though I can't remember exactly how, but I cold called him and a few hours later..we were fast friends. I remember a funny time @ the St. Louis gathering. He came into the class quite late. I think Kevin Rowsome was teaching? Unbothered by his own lateness, he takes out his Marantz half-speed tape recorder, presses "play," and proceeds to cue at FF through whatever was on the tape looking for a blank spot to record on. "zeeeeeeeeeeeep zipz izp izp pzipzwhooooosh <zipzipzizpizppzpzizppzzzzzzzzzzzzz ....garble....." as he fumbled for the volume, which he had on FULL BLAST! In his gentle slow southern drawl, he says, "sorry sorry ,,,,whoooops...oh my.......sorryyyyy...!" it was really funny.

I remember in 1999 @ the St. Louis tionol, he played a great reel on the low whistle and Tim Britton said something like, "nice Bernard!" He said, "thayyyyanks, Teeim!"

He loved the pipes, and all things Irish. Mike Mullins, Jim Wenham, and myself drank to him in Miltown as soon as we found out the bad news.

We miss you Bernard!!!!
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I had no idea Bernard passed away.

So sad for such a kind sort to go so soon. :cry:

Tommy
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

At 52? That's a crying shame. Too early for what sounds like an absolute ace fellow. RIP.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

that recorder story is hilarious!
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I met Bernard in St. Louis through mutual friends and thereafter, always looked forward to seeing him again. One year we spent an entire Sunday at McGurk's swapping tunes, chanters and stories - just the two of us. He'll be missed.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I met Bernard in St. Louis through mutual friends and thereafter, always looked forward to seeing him again. One year we spent an entire Sunday at McGurk's swapping tunes, chanters and stories - just the two of us. He'll be missed.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeah, 52 is way too young, especially for someone like Bernard. It's a sad loss.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Bernard had enough chanters to trade them for an entire afternoon! :)
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

He was a truly lovely man.
I remember doing a blind taste test with him at the home of the late, lamented Paul Levin: it was the first time I'd heard of spruce reeds.
What a gent.
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

I met Bernard at the Pittsburgh Tionol 1991 and we became friends right away. We attended the same years at Augusta several times . He was truly a wonderful kind person. He came down with Phil Sexton to a piping party near Raleigh NC. I too did not know he had passed away until I received the summer edition of "The Pipers Review". I had telephoned him several times over the last year but got no answer. I even telephone him to tell him about the Blue Ridge Parkway piping party about two weeks ago. It was a shock to hear of his passing. He was a wonderful person and it was a pleasure to have known him. He is missed............. Ed