New to piping question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

New to piping question

Post by dow »

I'd like to give the uilleann pipes a shot, but can't locate any around here to learn on. However, there is a set of small pipes that are for sale locally. Is there enough similarity between small pipes and UP's to make it worth picking them up to get started on? Here is a link to the pipes in question: small pipes. I realize that these are mouth blown rather than bellows blown, but the question still stands.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
mike spencer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: New to piping question

Post by mike spencer »

Dow ,the Uilleann Pipes are very different from the small pipes.UP fingering is completely different from small pipe fingering and the UP chanter has two octaves.The UP reeds are very sensitive to bag pressures and the bellows have to be mastered.If you want to play UPs you will have to buy UPs.There is really no substitute.Don't buy a cheap set on Ebay as they are mostly made in Pakistan and make good firewood.Read the article at the start of the forum on Pakistani sets.Tread carefully.Those small pipes you are looking at seem to be very low-priced.I had a set of small pipes which I sold for $500.00 and I thought that this was a reasonable price.Hope this helps.
mike spencer
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi dow

The FAQ section applies to the smallpipes shown, as they are a Pakistani made set I believe.

This Franken half set might be a better option as Seth Hamon is in Texas.

Seth Hamon website

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Dow, you NUT! :party: What they said. Totally. :-) But that Frankenset looks pretty interesting. In fact, maybe call Seth straightaway and chat with him about pipes in general, since he's in your (admittedly Texas-size) neighborhood and all ...
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jarlath.I
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper currently living in Sitka AK. I am looking for information on piping and am looking forward to meet other pipers.

Post by Jarlath.I »

I agree. The bellows/bag is the most difficult part of picking up the pipes. Even if you are an expert musician on another instrument you will not be able to play the pipes until you master the bellows/bag. Unless you want to learn to play the small pipes ......

There is nothing wrong with that, but if you want to play the uilleann pipes, then get yourself some uilleann pipes. If you don't get anywhere with the Frankenset, there are always sets for sale on the Uilleann Obsession web site. Also try to find out where the nearest players are in your area, because we are all in this together. Welcome to the club!!!! :D
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Dow, you NUT! :party: What they said. Totally. :-) But that Frankenset looks pretty interesting. In fact, maybe call Seth straightaway and chat with him about pipes in general, since he's in your (admittedly Texas-size) neighborhood and all ...
Hey Cat!

First, I am NOT a nut. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :boggle: (and don't go asking Beth for confirmation on that either :D ) . Yeah, that frankenset looks good, but is out of my immediate budget, so it'll have to go on down the line. I did email Seth last night, and he is making UPs again, although he's waiting for a new reamer which should be in soon. His pricing for a practice set is fair as well. I've asked for more information, so we'll see what develops. BTW, here's his website if anyone's interested: http://www.swedishbagpipes.com/

I knew that the small pipes were very different from the UPs, but thought it might be worth looking into if the fingering was the same, Thanks, everyone for setting me straight on that note.

dow
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

until you master the bellows/bag
unless of course, you're Bruce Childress, and you run the things from a helium tank....

didn't he do that a while back?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Indeed, uilleann pipes can be challenging enough on their own.

I can think of one advantage of getting a new practice set direct from Seth or another maker -- at least you can be pretty sure the reed was right when it left his place :boggle:

Meanwhile, if you're mechanically inclined, there's this option ....

http://www.daye1.com/pennychanter.html

It looks like he may not be taking any orders 'til September, though. Or maybe the kits are still available?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

rgouette wrote:unless of course, you're Bruce Childress, and you run the things from a helium tank....

He had to give it up as he was getting to many leaks and was talking like Mickey Mouse,thats apart from the fact he kept floating off his chair.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
bcpipes

Post by bcpipes »

rgouette wrote:
until you master the bellows/bag
unless of course, you're Bruce Childress, and you run the things from a helium tank....

Yes. He did. Has the same affect on a reed as it does vocal chords.