Why are there so few female pipers ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Re: Why are there so few female pipers ?

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I am certainly far too narrow minded to take any of this (inset explative here) very seriously... narrow mindedness is bliss and all that.

But is this really the forum for a battle of the sexists?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I am certainly far too narrow minded to take any of this (inset explative here) very seriously... narrow mindedness is bliss and all that.

You know, it's really something how even on a forum where you can't get any nerdier than uilleann pipes....oh, hell. Sure. Yeah, why not. The instrument hasn't moved out out the 19th century, essentially, after all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Joseph E. Smith

Nanohedron wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:I am certainly far too narrow minded to take any of this (inset explative here) very seriously... narrow mindedness is bliss and all that.

You know, it's really something how even on a forum where you can't get any nerdier than uilleann pipes....oh, hell. Sure. Yeah, why not. The instrument hasn't moved out out the 19th century, essentially, after all.

I guess I see your point.... *sigh*... what a pain in the...(inset another explative here). :really:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, say it. Just go on; SAY it. "Pain. In. The. Outlet valve." :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Joseph E. Smith

... poop shoot... there, you happy now Nano?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Why, Joseph. I'm shocked. Shocked. :lol:

I like yer signature GIF cartoony thing. Makes me think of all the nice flamewars we've been able to warm our tootsies at. :wink:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

TheSilverSpear wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:The mechanics of the whole mess are what put me off initially. Reedmaking, so many moving parts, tools required, woodworking and math-ey stuff, etc. Piping sort of seemed the purview of persnickety men with proper workshops, or guys who like to work on cars.
I don't think it's that. Reedmaking, while a hassle (I admit -- I don't do it), is probably less complicated and persnickety than "traditionally" feminine pursuits such as weaving or embroidery. There are also plenty of other women involved in craftswomen-type professions. For example, most of the saddle makers I know are female.
Well, I can only speak for this woman, of course. But the gouges and calipers and affiliated stuff were off-putting to me at first (although now that I've started reedmaking, I'm actually enjoying destroying tube after tube of innocent cane -- so far, at least); they were sort of instruments of the black arts.

Then again, I'm old enough to not have much exposure to workshops. When I was in school (1970s), it was assumed girls would take Home Ec and boys would take shop. It was a big deal to get into shop, and not many girls wanted the hassle of, or attention gained from, bucking the system -- I assume those would be the same reasons guys didn't usually take Home Ec. They had shop, we didn't. So, like I said in the flute thread, I think some of it's just cultural mores as promulgated by public education.

Finally, I'll admit to a pretty regular twinge -- and again, I think this has to do with my age and when I was brought up -- of feeling unladylike when I start heaving away. I think younger women don't have this baggage, so I expect we'll see more women pipers eventually.

... Oh yeah, and the bag and bellows can be kinda hard on the arms, especially at first. :-D

Interesting about the saddle makers -- of the 8 or 9 I've known over the years, only one's a woman. Tack's a major boys' club here in my part of Kentucky -- where do you live?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Trust the mods to bring this topic down.Heres another topic,but maybe for the pub.Why are forums plagued by over reaction,misunderstanding and super-sensitivity.If I was to say that most coal miners are men because its a phyically demanding job,would it be fair to call me a sexist? Judging by some of the attitudes so far the answer would probably be yes.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Joseph E. Smith

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Well, I can only speak for this woman, of course. But the gouges and calipers and affiliated stuff were off-putting to me at first (although now that I've started reedmaking, I'm actually enjoying destroying tube after tube of innocent cane -- so far, at least); they were sort of instruments of the black arts.

Then again, I'm old enough to not have much exposure to workshops. When I was in school (1970s), it was assumed girls would take Home Ec and boys would take shop. It was a big deal to get into shop, and not many girls wanted the hassle of, or attention gained from, bucking the system -- I assume those would be the same reasons guys didn't usually take Home Ec. They had shop, we didn't. So, like I said in the flute thread, I think some of it's just cultural mores as promulgated by public education.

Finally, I'll admit to a pretty regular twinge -- and again, I think this has to do with my age and when I was brought up -- of feeling unladylike when I start heaving away. I think younger women don't have this baggage, so I expect we'll see more women pipers eventually.

... Oh yeah, and the bag and bellows can be kinda hard on the arms, especially at first. :-D

Interesting about the saddle makers -- of the 8 or 9 I've known over the years, only one's a woman. Tack's a major boys' club here in my part of Kentucky -- where do you live?
The most sensible post to date.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Cathy Wilde wrote:... Oh yeah, and the bag and bellows can be kinda hard on the arms, especially at first. :-D
Not really a girl-thing, if it's any consolation. Had a little spell eating aspirin, myself; I may be no hulk, but I'm not altogether a wisp, either. Plus that black-and-blue mark on my bellows hip...not attractive. :D
Joseph E. Smith

rorybbellows wrote:Trust the mods to bring this topic down...
RORY
For you, any time, any time.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

C'mon, Joseph. Let's go eat some worms. My treat.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:

The most sensible post to date.
Yes indeed and I think there are more women pipers than there used to be but still alot less than men.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
ferris54
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ferris54 »

Answer is simple, thier breasts get in the way
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

For sure that would apply to the accordion too, I'm thinking, being's they're pinchy and all. Probably explains why the guy players wear trousers.