Mystery B set on uilleannobsession

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Mystery B set on uilleannobsession

Post by PJ »

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html#82

So what's the concensus: Coyne or a clever copy? Someone else?

The reg keys have the beehive look (Kenna?).

Unusual that the chanter has been slotted for keys but not drilled.
PJ
leaky_joe

Re: Mystery B set on uilleannobsession

Post by leaky_joe »

I am certain that these arn't either Coyne or Kenna and i never said they were. However they are fairly old and have been in my family now for three generations. What I actually said was that the consensus was that they were in the style of Coyne. Which is why I Put Maker Unknown

They were played by Troy Donockley on one of his first recordings, unfortunately i no longer have the tape he gave me.

If you want any more info please email me - or make me an offer :)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Hi Joe,

Your description of the pipes on uilleannobsession makes it clear that the maker is unknown. I was throwing out Coyne and Kenna and starting points for a discussion.

There are a few other sets floating around for which the identity of the maker is not known for certain but which are probably the work of Coyne.
PJ
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Hey Joe
watch out for that PJ ,he's always causing trouble!!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ

Post by PJ »

Somehow I get the impression that Joe would laugh at my best...
PJ
Sam L

Post by Sam L »

Peter found this picture on his PC and forwarded it to me, it shows Michael Wilkins playing a set that he made in the 1980s based on a Harrington I think. It looks like a very similar set to us. . . maybe the maker can now be identified.

" . . . when it's finished you look at it and you think that perhaps it will live longer than you, and perhaps it will be of use to someone you don't know, who doesn't know you. Maybe as an old man you'll be able to . . look at it, and it will seem beautiful . . "

Primo Levi - The Wrench
leaky_joe

Post by leaky_joe »

Yes this is Mick Wilkins, and they definitely look like my B set. Mick did some work on these for me in the 80's. He made all new imitation ivory mounts, silver soldered and sprung some regulator keys, he put new regulator pads on and and some other bits and bobs and fully reeded the set. He also supplied and fitted the bag. All this work remains good to this day, except for a couple of new pads and recently some new reeds by Brian Howard, and they have played faultlessly.

While he had the pipes, he lent them to a young Troy Donockley, (without my knowledge) who made a recording with them.

I do know that he did make a B set in Box which I believe are now owned by Troy

After getting them back, I was so please with the work that I left my Rowsome set with him. After not hearing from him for some time I went to see him and he had moved, taking my pipes with him. I have searched for him in vain. If anyone knows of his whereabouts I would be greatfull if you could let me know as I would love to get that set back again !
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

Perhaps years later? Hairline looks similar.

A Mike Wilkins (Fraser Staff)
http://www.wgbh.org/listen/FraserStaff.cfm
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

leaky_joe wrote:Yes this is Mick Wilkins, and they definitely look like my B set. Mick did some work on these for me in the 80's.
Just out of curiosity, but how could you have NOT known the maker of the pipes when you had Michael Wilkins himself work on the set in the 80’s. He did not tell you that he made the set?? Something smells rotten in the state of Denmark to me??

Why didn't you just come out in the first place and say you are looking for Michael Wilkins because you wanted your Rowesome set back??? I’m sure someone on this forum knows the whereabouts of him or his last known address.
leaky_joe

Post by leaky_joe »

Your missing the point. Mick Wilkins did NOT make these pipes. If he had made them i would have sold them as such. Other than he has my Rowsome set I have nothing against the man. His work is good.

What is so wrong in not knowing the maker, surly it reduces the price.

All i know is that they are a great sounding set but i am now unable to play them with my hands being arthritic and thought someone could benefit from them.

If your not interested i suggest you stop trying to be a clever arse.

In fact bugger it I think I'd rather let them rot than let them loose on this back stabbing community to pick over the bones and find fault in what has given me great pleasure for the last 30 years
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I really love this forum at times......