Reedmaking help: Back D Issues

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Reedmaking help: Back D Issues

Post by AlanB »

Hello,

I don't know whether this might help, but I find that the narrower measurement on the staple blank has a big effect on back D response and tuning. It tends to go hand in hand with the reed head width. With tubing staples, it's difficult to control the size/shape of the eye, as the narrowness of the eye affects the width too. To get the correct 'folding' of the reed head when you tie it up, the reedhead can't be too narrow as it either doesn't fold over the staple side or it imparts too much curvature/tension up the head and your reed then needs too much closure or it just cracks, or if the tail taper/shoulder is too narrow you get a stiff raucous reed. I think this is why people sometimes make really widereed heads (over 13mm), so they can easily tie on the reed (despite the pitfalls therein).

So, with rolled staples you have a slight cone for your area that you're going to taper that is also narrower than a tube staple, the resulting taper is narrower, and in general the eye shape is different. The tails need to be made a little narrower to accomodate this, and in turn the cane slip needs to be narrower to avoid a 'bottleneck' of tension when tying on.

An e.g. is my chanter, which is an O'Briain. It's modelled to work with Cillian's reed design, which is tube staple. Using the 'normal' Benedict staple measurements I had a bad toned D that was flat (and other anomalies, but gorgeous tone), when I brought the narrow end to 14.2, I achieved a much truer tuned D, but all in all I, unfortunately, can't really get a totally satisfactory rolled staple in my chanter, unless I practically roll a cylinder :(

Try dropping the width of your reed head to 12.2/12.3 (before tying and scraping)? (and the longer head).
Steve Pribyl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Bill,
My BK reed does go sharp when underpowered, although to a much lesser extent.
The scrape length is 7/8". It's much shorter than the scrape on BK's reed for my chanter, but one reason is because I was having no luck with that long of a scrape, so I decided to try a wider blade and shorter scrape.

Perhaps my reeds are too stiff in that I feel like I am scraping more and more to get the pitch down.

As an experiment, I disassembled the reed, thinned the tails and trimmed the shoulders in an effort to have it close up sooner as I wrapped it, leaving more of the blades exposed, since a number of comments seemed to be leading this direction. The D issue is slightly improved: less of a two-tone pitch, but still some variability. This seems like it's going in the right direction. I haven't tried thinner slip edges yet.
Steve Pribyl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions. I'm reinvigorated to make some more reeds now. I will keep these suggestions in mind as I continue along the path to reedmaking nirvana (or reedmaking hell, whichever the case may be).