Tracking the standard chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
patsky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tracking the standard chanter

Post by patsky »

Hello all,
Well its me again bitching about reeds. As many of you know I have been making reeds for many, many years for every type of chanter. On many occasions I have received letters asking if I guarantee reeds. This definitely puts me on the spot. While I am sympathetic too the high cost of reeds and the pocketbooks of pipers, especially beginners, I can only guarantee that a reed will leave my shop in playable condition.

Back in the early 1970s I naively and egotistically believed that I was the worlds answer to reed making. With this character defect I put out the word that I would make a reed for any chanter for $15.00 . Just mail me the chanter and I will fit the reeds. The problem quickly arose when I discovered that I had to make several reeds to get one to fit, and occasionally I would get a chanter that, after making 5, 10-15 reeds and several hours of work, I had to finally give up and I could not charge for my time. That idea disappeared real quick. I also remember that I charged $.50 cents for a reed and got may complaints about the high cost, which is another story.

The real problem is one of standards. There is no standard Uilleann pipes chanter. Even the so called “Rowsome” design is not standard. Rowsome himself seems to have made several different chanter designs. If by some miracle one could get all of the pipe makers to make a chanter that uses the same bore and hole placements, so that one reed fits all, the price of reeds would come down and then the problem would be solved. Of course the chance of this happening is virtually nil. I know that this would work because I make all of my chanters using the same bore and hole placement. When I make a reed it fits almost all of my chanters, I say almost because one must allow for minor adjustments of bridle, cane and staple measurements, etc. I believe this to be true of most pipe makers.

A standard chanter would:

1- Be in concert pitch, and in tune with itself.
2- Use a standardized reed with a standard tubing staple.
3- Have a standard bore and finger hole placement

Is it possible to get pipe makers to do such a thing as make a standard chanter? I don’t know. .. probably not. In the meantime, if you purchase a set of pipes and cannot make reeds yourself, then set aside several hundred dollars for reeds, because the chances of getting that perfect reed right away is almost nil.

As a final note: there is no such thing as the perfect reed. Every reed will have its built in quirks and you just have to live with it.
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
uillmann

Re: Tracking the standard chanter

Post by uillmann »

patsky wrote: Is it possible to get pipe makers to do such a thing as make a standard chanter?

No.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Brian Howard makes such a chanter.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

A lovely idea of s. th. that might be long overdue in the development. Wouldn´t it but be easier to standardize the cp-reed and all the pipemakers built some chanters around it?

I experienced s. th. a bit similiar recently: These Eezedronereeds are a standard and I use them to reed any drones (D, C#, C, B, Bb...) They usually work for all pitches and bores (with of course minor adjustments and fairly often not fitting into the tenor drone hole). If however pitch or performance do by no means work you would of course not interfere with the Eezedronereed.

Anyway, standardized reeds are easier to come by (e. g. by mail) or are by far easier to make by pipers than chanters. So, instead of blaming the reed or one´s reedmaking abilties the chanter might be faulty?
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Well my experience is not as large as Mr. Sky`s but I try to make all my chanters the same and to give the client all measurements and recipe for reedmaking, I reeded a couple of chanters that the makers denied reed information and recipes to the client. So I had to investigate with some success. I`m gratefull for it I learned a lot.
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

Um, hello? Are we talking about uilleann pipes?
Last edited by uillmann on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

Hans-Joerg wrote: Wouldn´t it but be easier to standardize the cp-reed and all the pipemakers built some chanters around it?

Ha Ha hahahahahahahaha a huhahaaaahaaa haha
hehehahahahaaaa oh, man.. ha hehe ha!
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

When was 50¢ ever exorbitant for a reed!?!?!? :boggle: That was 10 times what I paid for a candy bar in my youth (70s), so figure $5 in today's prices maybe? You must be talking about the half finished reeds you were marketing, right? That was a good idea.

Standard chanter? You could have a chanter competition at a tionol, have all attendees play examples and discuss/rank the sticks, record the results too. I think that would be harmless enough for a start, but far as I can tell most people are content enough with the traditional system of no system at all.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

BTW, there is this online-video-clip of GHB reedmaking. Umpteen GHB reeds are made in few minutes, a GHB tune is played in the background and one of the guys is cooly chewing a chewing-gum. I can´t find it now. Could somebody be so kind as to supply (this Uilleann Pipe utopie)?
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

http://www.thekiltcentre.com/ and reedmaking section one clip there.
..or maybe thiskinda
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=QduNPNd ... re=related
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Regarding Brian Howard and uilleann pipes, see:

http://www.folkmusic.net/htmfiles/inart432.htm

Why hasn't there ever been a standard reed for chanters? Orchestral players can buy their reeds off the shelf, why can't uilleann pipers?

"Because, in the past, faults in the chanter meant that the reed had to be tailored to correct those faults. Each chanter was an individual case, so reeds had to be fitted to the chanter. It's much better to design and make a fault-free chanter, so that the reed can be standardised. If reeds are made in a certain fashion, the chanter is in charge, and any inherent faults will be obvious. If the reed responds to the chanter, rather than the reverse, it can be changed over from one chanter to another, and will play as easily. With a fault-free chanter, fitting the reed becomes so much easier. I've come across chanters that should have been used for firewood, so that nobody would need to spend hours trying to make reeds to fit them".
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

From what I've been told and read, all decent oboe and bassoon players make their own reeds. "Standard" reeds may be available, but they are rarely good enough for the high level players, and must be adjusted to suit actual conditions.

The idea that a reed is just perfect and stays that way forever is nonsense. Welcome to North America, home of some of the widest variations in climate in the world.

Fault free is amusing, too. Who defines what is a fault and what is not?
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

It`s a detail but I liked (in the reedmaking clip) too much the way they holds the cane halfs together to bind them to the staple.
I`ll investigate how to make something like that to suit the UP reedmaking.
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

NicoMoreno wrote:From what I've been told and read, all decent oboe and bassoon players make their own reeds. "Standard" reeds may be available, but they are rarely good enough for the high level players, and must be adjusted to suit actual conditions.

The idea that a reed is just perfect and stays that way forever is nonsense. Welcome to North America, home of some of the widest variations in climate in the world.

Fault free is amusing, too. Who defines what is a fault and what is not?
There is no such thing as a standard orchestral double reed. There's a variery of reed dimensions and scrapes for oboe and bassoon. Different instruments can work better with particular designs, but the huge difference that renders the comparison with UPs moot is that tuning and response can be controlled with the embouchre.
Simon