why are there no uilleann events in Scotland?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
kings taxes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

why are there no uilleann events in Scotland?

Post by kings taxes »

I see England, Holland, Germany, USA, Wales etc. all have some form of meetup/ workshop/ tionol at various times. In Scotland there is nothing! Am i missing something here?
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: why are there no uilleann events in Scotland?

Post by BigDavy »

Hi kings taxes

There have been tionols here in the past, but for the last couple the turn out was pretty low. One suggestion that has been made is that we pick one of the summer folk festivals and arrange a piper led session at one of them, but that is still at the discussion stage as yet.

You are in Glasgow, so there is at least 4 UP friendly sessions -
Oran Mor in Byres Road (Wednesday night, 10pm till around 1am)
Uisge Bheatha on Woodlands Road (Thursdays 9pm-11:30ish)
The Ivory Hotel in Camphill Avenue (Friday 9pm-12ish)
Babbity Bowsters in the Merchant City (Saturday 5pm - 8ish)

I note you are a GHB player - if you also play Border pipes, then they would be welcome at most of these sessions as well.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Post by glasba »

Be happy that you are not in Slovenia. Here I am the only one who ever heard about Uilleann pipes :swear:
I heard you have few great pipers in Edinburgh.

All the best AA :)
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

hmm aren't Uilleanns outlawed there?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Because the scots have enough trouble of their own.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kings taxes

Post by kings taxes »

thanks BigDavy, yeah I know about the session scene- was hoping for more workshoppy type stuff as I aint near ready to unleash my pish playin on the public and other musicians.

looks like al havetae travel tae Ireland- not a bad thing just bloody dear!!
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

They're having trouble with their second octave.
pmriley

Post by pmriley »

uilleann "irish" pipes , not "Scottish" pipes :D . no really, in aug i hear a few pipers get together for a little thing called the worlds. i would have thought that they would have something there. i know its a ghb thing, but from what i understand, and trust me i want to get there one day, it a week long party and there is all types of music.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Hi Tony,

I noticed this as well when I first moved to Scotland. Use to drive me nuts, but I've gotten resigned to it. There are no piper's clubs in Scotland. There are (as you undoubtedly know) very few people in Scotland who play the uilleann pipes and they are well scattered across the country. Getting them to talk to each other, much less organize something, is worse than herding cats.

Unless something changes (which I doubt... and I mean, I'm part of the problem here rather than the solution, since the solution would entail someone getting their act together and organizing something and it's probably not going to be me, as I usually can't organize my way out of a wet paper bag), your best bet for finding groups of pipers and piping workshops is to go across to Ireland or down to places like Manchester when they have their tionols. I go across to Willie Clancy Week every year and I drive, so you might be able to wrangle a lift if you're up for that.:) Also, the NPU Tionol in Dublin is fantastic and flights to Dublin are cheap.

Local (Scottish) festivals are not, in my experience, the best place to find groups of pipers. At Girvan last year the only two uilleann pipers at the whole festival were me and a guy from Campbelltown.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

pmriley wrote:uilleann "irish" pipes , not "Scottish" pipes :D . no really, in aug i hear a few pipers get together for a little thing called the worlds. i would have thought that they would have something there. i know its a ghb thing, but from what i understand, and trust me i want to get there one day, it a week long party and there is all types of music.
Hi pmriley

If you are thinking of coming for the Worlds, then Piping Live runs for the week running up to the worlds. There is a normally variety of piping styles represented - they have had Portugese and Sardinian pipers, as well as the usual suspects.

One that I would have bet money that I would hate with a passion was Cyberpiper, but he played a blinder and I thoroughly enjoyed his performance.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

BigDavy wrote: One that I would have bet money that I would hate with a passion was Cyberpiper, but he played a blinder and I thoroughly enjoyed his performance.
David
Whoa. I think I need to go lay down now.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

BigDavy wrote: One that I would have bet money that I would hate with a passion was Cyberpiper, but he played a blinder and I thoroughly enjoyed his performance.
Did you ever find out what was wrong with that girls stomach?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Wow. All I can say is that was bizarre...... and not in a good way. Innovation in the tradition gone horribly wrong.
markthom

Post by markthom »

Hi folks, I'm a new member from SW Scotland, and new to the UP's, I'll most likely be picking your collective brains for info in future. :)

Sniffing about for Tionols/workshops I've been disappointed not to find much happening in Scotland too, I'm a very long way from even thinking about darkening the door of a session, but I would be very keen to attend any Uilleann related events in Scotland if someone decides to put something on.

Cheers,
Mark