Tips for Colonel Fraser

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Tips for Colonel Fraser

Post by PJ »

When I learned to play the Bucks of Oranmore, I found that the last part of the 3rd, 4th and 5th parts repeated and so did certain ornaments (DEF and GFE triplets). Once I had learned the parts that repeated, I found it easier to pick up the tune.

I'm now learning another great reel - Colonel Fraser. Any suggestions, hints or tips for learning this tune (or tips for things to avoid learning) would be greatly appreciated.
PJ
TheSilverSpear

Re: Tips for Colonel Fraser

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Most five part reels follow that or a similar structure.

For a fun game, try playing the West Wind at a session and see how many people go into Colonel Fraser.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

The one that brought that tune home to me is Mickey Dunne's version on his "Legacy" CD. I love his swing and setting, and his bold long back Ds ("nyah, nyah, no sink or wobble here!" :-D ) on the C part are a wonder to a bag-mangling novice like me. Also, he only uses triplets as a variation on the last part, yippee.

Anyway, his playing finally burned it into my brain. And ... hey presto! He goes into the Bucks right after. What a iron man!

Here he is playing those two on the Toob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge-ddbEeJ3w

I think the tempo is a tick or two slower on the CD, b/c I can keep up with him on the tinwhistle there. The CD version's also a bit cleaner and swingier (even though it's live, too) though the YouTube go is pretty awe-inspiring in its sheer forward motion.

P.S. He kicks off the CD set with a lovely version of Patsy Geary's jig, so it's G jig to G reel to D reel. One of the best sets of all time in my wee book!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
G Burman

Post by G Burman »

First
Listen to it for seven years

Then
Practice it for seven years

Then
Play it for seven years

Then
You have it down pat

:D
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

To be perfectly honest, I've never liked Colonel Fraser very much. Haven't been bothered learning it as I don't care for it enough to justify the effort.

If you like epic tunes, a couple five-part reels that (IMHO) are far more interesting are: http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/581 (not necessarily in that key)

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/2285
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

The Spike Island Lasses only has 4 parts, but I find it an impressive display of tour de force. The Jolly Tinker, too.

I've been tapping away at Col. Fraser for years, first on the flute and whistle and now with much greater appreciation on the pipes; I find it fun to get down into the weeds of the big ones, sort of like a big puzzle. They're so cool when they come together in the end.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

If you're really into masochism, learn this on the uilleann pipes.

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/2589

If you can play that (I can't -- I make an a*se of it), you play Colonel Fraser or pretty much anything else.

The Jolly Tinker is good craic as well; fun to play and isn't too difficult. The Lord Gordon's is another monster, although doesn't cause pain like Pressed for Time (above).
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Thanks for suggestions for other tunes.

Colonel Fraser doesn't seem to be all that tough. More a memory exercise. Jerry O'Sullivan's version is daunting, though. Even at half speed I can't keep up with what he's doing on the chanter (he uses back-stitching very effectively IMHO).
PJ
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

PJ wrote:Jerry O'Sullivan's version is daunting, though. Even at half speed I can't keep up with what he's doing on the chanter (he uses back-stitching very effectively IMHO).
And LOTS and LOTS of Red Bull!!
KAD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KAD »

I second the motion for the Jolly Tinker and the Spike Island Lasses. Both tunes rock... Colonel Fraser never really got under my skin in the same way.

KAD
L42B

Post by L42B »

Its a nice tune, but it can be completely destroyed by speed and to much ornamentations. Applying the KISS principle would be your best bet especially when learning different variations of the tune.

Depends on which version you play but I play the one in the Clark tutor. Try experimenting with legato and staccato triplets in different variations. Say for one bar play the BCD triplet on the on beat as legato and then on the off beat as staccato. Also I find that the yelping/poping technique especially on every second full beat adds a nice flare; and in the variations every second off beat is effective. Such technique fits very nicely on the third part and final parts of the tune.

Another idea for variations is to make each time through substantially more complicated in technique. If you decide to go down that path (I personally don't recommend it for this tune). I find it also fits very nicely with the Bucks of Ornamore.

Cheers L42B :)
"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America." President Barack H. Obama, from his Inaugural Speech as the 44th President of the United States of America.
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

PJ

Our friends over at GNIPC have some nice videos and Isaac Alderson plays Colonel Fraser at the end of his video. Nice pace, not too fast as some have cautioned. Might give you some ideas for what it's worth.

http://gnipc.org/tunes/tunes.html
Get down on your knees and thank God you're on your feet !