Masons Apron - Matt Molloy, Dubliners and Sean McGuire versi

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
L42B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Masons Apron - Matt Molloy, Dubliners and Sean McGuire versi

Post by L42B »

Hey Guys, is there anywhere on the internet that has the famed Molloy, McGuire version of the Masons Apron. There are plenty versions of the tune online but not one that Molloy and McGuire play.

Thanks, L42B :)
"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America." President Barack H. Obama, from his Inaugural Speech as the 44th President of the United States of America.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Masons Apron - Matt Molloy, Dubliners and Sean McGuire versi

Post by Cathy Wilde »

IIRC, Matt plays Maguire's setting live on the Chieftains Live in Dublin recording (maybe called "An Evening With The Chieftains"?), which is, I believe, available on iTunes. I can't look right now b/c I'm mad at iTunes for insisting I upgrade my Safari >:-O (obnoxious, and a huge pain in the posterior esp. since I don't use Safari), but if you search "Chieftains" it should turn up. Maguire's recording of it is on something called "Milestone at the Garden - Irish Fiddle Masters" if you can find that. Hope that at least helps narrow your search!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

James Kelly plays it on his CD "Traditional Irish Music" - I think it's a close enough version ;-p Nice tempo too!

Patrick.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Are you looking for audio or a transcription?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, DOH! I forgot about this one, to me the best of all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX18CMR1I9Y

Seamus Brogan, lilting it.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
L42B

Post by L42B »

Hey Guys the music transcription would be most helpful (as I can follow along to the music). Although different versions of the same tune can be just as helpful.

Cheers L42B :)
"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America." President Barack H. Obama, from his Inaugural Speech as the 44th President of the United States of America.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Tommy Reck played a medley of this tune in the three keys of A, G, D. In sequence, that is.

A French Canadian version: Listen - The Virtual Gramophone, look for Joseph Guilmette - Reel Longueuil = Longueuil reel. I have about 60 different versions of it on my hard drives. Somebody put up a link on session.org to an album called the Mason's Apron, which is 50s field recordings of fiddlers, including Maguire. An older musician, Tom Turkington, plays the title track, three parts and interesting as an example of how Sean would've learned it initially.

Famous highland piper John Burgess composed about 10 of his own variations. Canadian fiddler Graham Townsend also made up his own showstopper setting. You can hear Paddy Killoran fiddle it at archive.org if you want to hear an older Irish setting - Kevin Burke got his setting from Paddy's record.