Got my pipes yesterday!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CelticMusicLover
antispam: No

Got my pipes yesterday!

Post by CelticMusicLover »

David Daye sure knows ho to make a customer satisfied! I have tried to play a variety of tunes, including "Hymn of the Sea" (a very easy tune to play, actually!), and it sounds wonderful! :D
CelticMusicLover

Re: Got my pipes yesterday!

Okay, I I've run into my first problem: it's hard to hold the 2nd octave, and when I do, I can't omit any note above A (it just dropps). Any idea of what's wrong? I've tried moving the bridle down, but that sharpens the back D a lot :(
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Let the reed settle with scandinavian climate, just play it now .U'll noticed how reed starts to behave, make then adjustings .
Try to keep pressure rigth (co-operation with bellows vs bag), and practise proper relax fingering so, that there will not be any leaks .
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Did you just start playing? If so, don't worry about the second octave just yet as it's probably not the chanter/reed but you. Concentrate on scales and holding consistent notes in the lower octave. The Clarke tutor does a good job of slowly introducing notes as you progress.
danepiper

Post by danepiper »

Hi CelticMusicLover.

As the fine people says "DON`T TOUCH THE REED" or you maybe will one of the disapointing pipers, who cant play because of a destroyed reed. I have been there and it is very frustrating.

WELL: Be happy and practise the first octave scale and get in contact with a experienced piper ,who can help you with the right "installation" of the reed.

Ole

www.uilleann.dk

Life Can only be understood backwards, but It must be lived forwards

Søren Kierkegaard
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Welcome... mwa ha ha... mwa ha ha ha.... MWA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :love:

Patrick.
carel

Post by carel »

well
there is a vacination for that
happy new year to all of you
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

contact Dave
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hej!

As everyone already has pointed out, let the reed be and play it as much as you can. After crossing the Atlantic in a cardboard box and ending up in mid winter Scandinavia it will take some time for the reeds to settle. And when it comes to bridle adjustments it's easy to do too much when you are new to the pipes. Go slow, parts of a mm a time.

There are a few pipers here in Sweden who play sets by Daye that can help you out.

Tror att du även postat på vårt svenska UP-sida :wink:, men jag vet inte vart i vårt avlånga land Laxbäcken ligger. Men det bästa du kan göra är att försöka hitta någon i din närhet som kan testa chantern och se att allt är som det ska. Det är svårt i början att veta vad som beror på en själv och vad som beror på rörbladet eller instrumentet. De flesta rörblad behöver också spelas in ett tag innan de blir bra i båda oktaverna. Kan ta några veckor. Tips är att skaffa dig en billig hygrometer från Claes Olsson så du kan ha koll på luftfuktigheten. Vintertid med all elvärme kryper den ofta under 40% vilket brukar innebära att det blir svårt att spela. Lägg ett par äpplen i väskan eller skaffa dig en luftfuktare och försök ligga på 40-60% så har du betydligt bättre förutsättningar.

Sorry about the language switch, just lots faster :)

Cheers!
/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
CelticMusicLover

Har beställt en luftfuktare (och en hygrometer). Problemet är bara att jag inte vet om jag kommer att våga använda den, eftersom Daye skrev (i ett brev som följde med setet) att han provat spela den under väldigt torra förhållanden, och att den nog skulle anpassa sig till mitt kalla vinterklimat. Jag är rädd att reeden är extra fuktkänslig när den är gjord för ett torrt klimat. Fast det kanske inte spelar någon roll?

Sorry for the gibberish :P
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

And remember keep your pipes/reeds under proper humid when not play, so having something in case etc. what keeps humidity certain level.

u can made one from "Oasis floral foamblock.
It can be cut for different custom forms/containers etc easily, even put in a plastic tube.
Justput it in water and it let it soak in. then put foam in container etc
with several holes on it.Works well, and no worries of dropping water even what position the pipecase is.
Better use distilled water, normal water can make mould by the time

And these are also good ones:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/guitar_humidifiers.html

and traditionalway, just keep few apples in case