V-Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jose' Scotte' Este'
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

V-Pipes

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

It looks like V-pipes have finally made it to market. Anyone have a few euros they can lend me?

http://www.vpipes.com/
"Luck is important"
Jeff Cullen

Re: V-Pipes

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Wow...maybe I'll write an app called "Bass Reg" then sell it as a package deal with Eskin's 3QuarterSet and the Vpipes! :lol:
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
CelticMusicLover

Post by CelticMusicLover »

Those pipes are remarkable! No need to worry about reeds, no risk of disturbing your neighbours/family-members, you can tune it to whatever key you want, there are no bellows to wrestle with, and the list goes on. The only downside is that they're expensive like **** :cry: I'll probably end up buying one anyway :P But not until I've played my Daye-set for at least (ca) two years!
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

So, why the f... do you then still play Uilleann Pipes at all? Wouldn´t it generally be better to play a non-maker-made mass product?
Ceann Cromtha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Why does "CelticMusicLover" get attacked everytime he takes out his wallet to purchase something? First he gets a sermon when he wants to buy a humidifier, now this when he says he wants to buy these "V-Pipes". I don't get it. :-?
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

V-pipes!
OMG what's this piping world coming to...next thing you know Bob Dylan will "go electric".

:wink:
CelticMusicLover

Post by CelticMusicLover »

Hans-Joerg wrote:So, why the f... do you then still play Uilleann Pipes at all? Wouldn´t it generally be better to play a non-maker-made mass product?
Ok, you need to get yourself some valium and calm down. So you actually think that just because someone wants to play a digital instrument means he/she shouldn't play it's acoustic counterpart? There are many acoustic instruments out there with digital counterparts:

Piano --> keyboard/synthesizer
Pipe organ --> electronic organ
Guitar --> electric guitar
Vintage drums --> electronic drums
And now: Uilleann pipe --> vPipe

Do you really think those who play electronic drums, for example, doesen't enjoy playing vintage drums?
Khan Krum wrote:Why does "CelticMusicLover" get attacked everytime he takes out his wallet to purchase something? First he gets a sermon when he wants to buy a humidifier, now this when he says he wants to buy these "V-Pipes". I don't get it. :-?
Thanks for your support :) However, you should feel more sorry for the narrow-minded people that attack me ;) I guess they're the "surly people" the Uilleann pipe forum subtitle refers to :lol:
Last edited by CelticMusicLover on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Yes, let us try and refrain from personal attacks please.
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Ah! Gear snobbery. It is alive and well.

I think the idea is pretty cool, mainly because I enjoy techie things. Will they replace the acoustic instrument? No. Will they get more people interested? Certainly. Anytime you can increase the accessibility of an instrument to more people, you will get more people as players. Think of it as a gateway drug. The price will eventually drop, and then someone will buy the vpipe. Then, they will get curious, much as a electric guitar or electric bass player gets for their acoustic versions.

It is all good.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

the small print also says 'The quoted prices are exclusive of VAT or any other local taxes that may be applicable.' (best not tell the VAT inspector if it's not being added then :wink:)

PS. would fancy one but not with my bank balance two days before Christmas
Mark
mukade

Post by mukade »

caedmon wrote:Ah! Gear snobbery. It is alive and well.

I think the idea is pretty cool, mainly because I enjoy techie things. Will they replace the acoustic instrument? No. Will they get more people interested? Certainly. Anytime you can increase the accessibility of an instrument to more people, you will get more people as players. Think of it as a gateway drug. The price will eventually drop, and then someone will buy the vpipe. Then, they will get curious, much as a electric guitar or electric bass player gets for their acoustic versions.

It is all good.
I don't see that. To me this looks like a professional tool

I applaud the development of the technology, but these pipes are going to be used by professionals in recording studios or touring bands.

Price reductions come with mass production. The vpipe people are making them to order, and I cannot see a mass market for them when uilleann pipes are a very minor instrument.

I doubt the vpipes will bring anyone into the pipes other than other curious session musicians.

A bit of fun/stability for experienced pipers in a professional situation.
A nightmare for new players to start learning on them.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
liraman

Post by liraman »

Anyone interested in the Vpipes might want to read this interview:
http://www.liraman.se/uilleannwinter/Th ... s_men.html
Enjoy
Mrk

Post by Mrk »

I’m a neophyte GHB and Uilleann player. I’ve been working at the Highland Pipes for about three years and a pieced-together beginner Uilleann set for about five months. I have a work related neck injury that causes numbness in both hands that severely limits my ability to advance my skills; I find an electronic GHB very useful for practice and maintenance of domestic tranquility. I 've been interested in the vPipes both for this reason and the fact that I don’t have $10K to spend on the real-thing. I’m concerned about the purchasing process and the actual quality/durability of the instrument. Has anyone purchased one of these yet ?

PS: Thanks for the link to the review article.

Mark
liraman

Post by liraman »

Mrk wrote:I’m a neophyte GHB and Uilleann player. I’ve been working at the Highland Pipes for about three years and a pieced-together beginner Uilleann set for about five months. I have a work related neck injury that causes numbness in both hands that severely limits my ability to advance my skills; I find an electronic GHB very useful for practice and maintenance of domestic tranquility. I 've been interested in the vPipes both for this reason and the fact that I don’t have $10K to spend on the real-thing. I’m concerned about the purchasing process and the actual quality/durability of the instrument. Has anyone purchased one of these yet ?

PS: Thanks for the link to the review article.

Mark
Mark, you might want to check on this Swedish guy who makes very good electronic practise chanters:
http://www.fagerstrom.com/

No uilleann pipes there but a small variety of other bagpipe types. It's not as expensive and the guy sold these for several years.
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Price @ 980 E+vat looks very reasonable to me. As most acoustic half sets are around twice this or more.

Remember this instrument has been in development for years, that's lots of r+d to pay for on top of day to day commercial realities.

I mean what sort of money were you expecting? 100 quid? Stop moaning and if the price is too high then I suggest you make your own electronic pipes!