V-Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
danny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: V-Pipes

Post by danny »

Hmmm, not very traditional, but maybe the only way to play in 90 degree weather, as usually the pipes go way out after 20 mins, no matter how good they sound before and that's with a bottle of ice in the case witch seems to give them more time.

Also playing on a stage with a expensive instrument like the pipes while people are dancing and musicians running everywhere it may be safer too?

I played a gig on a boat around manhatten last september, while we setting up another ship flew past the boat we were on while it was in port, creating a huge wave and knocked the speakers off there stands and just missed the pipes by inches i wasn't there,could have been all over? so wouldn't have the problem and wouldn't worry as much with them.

They dont look as good, and maybe something should be place of drones, like a beer holder or something. But defiantly something to think about....
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Has anybody actually received thier v pipes yet? Its nearly 6 months since the order book closed for the production run so who has a set and why arnt there any vids on youtube of people playing them. (apart from the demo ones which are donkeys years old)
V pipes isnt run by Davy Stephenson is it???? :wink:
Black Rose
antispam: No

Post by Black Rose »

Our Mr. Castro is at this very moment driving to Denmark to secure the final component necessary to complete assembly.
Sigs are a waste of bandwidth
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

Sure he`s not flying to Cuba??
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

My old questions I should've posted

1. If I don't order now, when will the next batch be available?

>>>Well we don't know exactly as we will be busy finishing the development of our other versions. Perhaps at the end of this year or beginning of next year, but we can't say for sure, sorry about not being able to give you definite dates.

2. Have you used the midi out in conjunction with Sibelius or Finale copying software?

>>>The MIDI interface aspect (which is of secondary importance, i.e. the proprietary emulation mode is the crux of the vPipes ) is a standard which will allow you to use any appropriate programme in this regard, so no, we haven't specifically used it in conjunction with Sibelius or Finale SW.

3. How heavy is the component that goes underneath the left arm?

>>>The whole unit only weighs under 850g (about 30 ounces) although we haven't weighed the pressure sensor box individually and I haven't got scales to hand at the moment.

4. I noticed that you've managed to have even the sounds of mistakes; squeals, octave falls, etc. programmed in. Could you comment on that? (a brilliant idea!)

>>>The basis and ethos of the vPipes series of instruments is to 'emulate' the fingering of acoustic sets. After all, what is the point of having a practice instrument whose fingering differs considerably from the instrument that one wants to improve on??

Our proprietary programme has achieved precisely this goal so that the vPiper doesn't need to change the way in which the fingering is executed. This includes the squeals and octave falls, as well as the popping, hard D, ghost D, vibrato, slides etc etc and they all form part of the general programming because the vPipes 'emulates' an acoustic set, thus the hyper-realistic tag that we have adscribed to the description. So although squeals haven't been expressly programmed in, if your fingering is not spot on, it will react just like an acoustic set. This is also applies to the pressure that you apply with the left arm, i.e. the drones will go out of tune according to the pressure you exert. Please note that you can also set the 'hardness' of the 'reed'; some pipers like a very soft reed whereas others prefer a hard reed and there are 10 levels to choose from (0: no pressure required to 10: very hard reed indeed-the majority of pipers however feel comfortable at a hardness level of 3 or 4).

5. I've been a piper for a long while. Just HOW DIFFERENT does this chanter work and feel than a real one (from a playing standpoint)?

>>>It is difficult for us at vPipes to be completely objective about the feel as we have been on this for a very long time. However, to illustrate this, an example I often give is that it is like being used to a car with manual shift and then driving a car with automatic gears. It takes perhaps 5 minutes to get used to the change. In fact, the videos of Cillian and Jarlath were made (and I mean this literally) only 3 or 4 minutes after they had played the vPipes for the very first time. From the comments that we have received from both professional and experienced pipers the balance , feel and weight of the chanter in your hands feels just right.

6. Can every note be bent?

7. Can you get a Cnat to occur with a lot of "nya" to it? i.e. can you start essentially from a B and slur all the way into a C natural?

>>>Because the fingering is nigh on identical to an acoustic UP set, all the adornments, fingerings and effects are executed in an orthodox manner.

8. What kind of software updates do you foresee?

>>>Basically new sound banks that we may develop in the future, although software updates per se, will not be necessary, i.e., its not like MS windows updates.

Thanks very much for you time, Ramon!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

more:

"I thought of a tough one;

Alternate fingerings!

If X OXX XOXX produces Cnat, Then what would for example these 2 fingerings ( X OXX XOOX, or X OXX OXOO) which produce different tonal variances for Cnat, what would they produce? Or simply put, have cross fingerings and their tonal variations been included as well? If not, how does the instrument react should they be playing (another being a G roll done by using this X XXX OXOO, and tapping w/ the 1st finger RH

>>Bearing in mind that many chanters of different makers react differently, for this first version of the software we have opted to develop a simplified cross fingering in relation toa n acoustic set of pipes. We will rely on feedback from vPipers to make improvements. These possible improvements will be published by vPipes under a new software version that can be installed on all vPipes.

In general terms each note, for example first octave A, has 4 tonal variations on the vPipes, each with their own tuning.

1. close fingering 1st oct. A on the knee
2. open fingering 1st oct. A on the knee
3. close fingering 1st oct. A off the knee
4. open fingering 1st oct. A off the knee

The fingering for each of these 4 variations will be as follows:

1. x xxo xxxx x
2. x xxo ---- x
3. x xxo xxxx o
4. x xxo ---- o

The hyphen ‘-‘ jeans that whatever is fingered in that position has no effect and the last column indicated on/off knee.

On the vPipes, the closed fingering Cnat es x oxx xoxx and the open fingering for Cnat is x oxx xo--, such that either of the fingerings that you mention x oxx xoox and x oxx oxoo will produce the same result.

Any thoughts re: the cross fingerings (the last question I asked?). Cross fingerings are hugely important to the advanced player. OH yes, I what I meat to say was that Robbie fingers his 1st octave G Rolls like
X XXX OXOX, and taps with his 1st finger. This fingering brings the G slightly down in pitch, just a wee few cents, but enough to make quite an aural difference.

>>In this case, there is no difference on the vPipes between x xxx oxox and x xxx oooo, and in both cases the result will be an open fingering G. The fingerings for closed fingered and open fingered G are as follows:

x xxx o-xxx
x xxx o----

Also the thump one get when tapping a G roll (X XXX OOXX and using 2 fingerings to tap) as opposed to using one, etc.

>>In this case, if you tap with only one finger, the tap will be an F#, if you tap with both fingers the tap will be silent (if on the knee) or a soft D (off knee) and will sound slightly different, so it’s the same on the vPipes as an acoustic set.

What was the process you went through re: sampling sounds/notes?

>>Confidential for the moment and if I told you ‘I’d have to kill you’, in true 007 style….!!! ;-)

Do you foresee the pitch of B?

>>One can play in B by simply transposing -1 semitone from the C samples included with the vPipes. Although in the future we may be in a position to sample a B chanter.

If the cross fingers havn't been provided in this ver. of the software, is that something that can be added in later versions? Where will the updates be offered (on the site I presume)?

>>If we do carry out any improvements in the vPipes software, these will be published under a new SW version on our web-page. These updates will be free although you would have to send the vPipes to us to do the update, unless of course you wish to acquire a specific USB device to be able to update yourself."
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
liraman

Post by liraman »

[quote="ferris54"]Has anybody actually received thier v pipes yet? Its nearly 6 months since the order book closed for the production run so who has a set and why arnt there any vids on youtube of people playing them. (apart from the demo ones which are donkeys years old)
V pipes isnt run by Davy Stephenson is it???? :wink:[/quote]

Maybe it's better to order some "REAL" Irish Uilleann Pipes (made in the U S, no doubt, or still better in Geeermany) with a 3-5 years waiting list, 6-12 years delivery time and at a price that would make a decent Cremona violin maker blush.
Irony aside it seems that a combination of some of Murphy's laws and the sickening ash clouds from Iceland has put Mr Castro& co's production line to a temporary halt.
But hath no fear ferris54 and others, I think Youtube and other venues of kind will be bursting with vpipes samples soon enough.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

danny wrote:They dont look as good, and maybe something should be place of drones, like a beer holder or something. But defiantly something to think about....
There are a few souls in my neck of the woods who have vPipes coming. I've told 'em all that they could take an old bag complete with drone stock, drones, maybe regs but bellows for sure, just functioning as dummies and for looks, and slip the lot over the vPipes. Stealth set!

Finally, a worthwhile use for those Sialkot City "uilleann pipes" (ironic quotes mine) that you've been trying for so long to get rid of. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

V-Pipes: $2K.
Not Having To Make Reeds: Priceless.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cathy Wilde wrote: Not Having To Make Reeds: Priceless.
I know. The temptation alone makes me weep.

Now if vPipes have a sound-sampling function, think of how much fun making a burp go "nyaah" would be.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

It's a mid controller, hence you can take a sampler (I use an Akai sampler) and burp away...then you connect the midi out on the v-pipes to the sampler and nyaah with your burp all you want. I have an electronic GHP midi controller (made in Spain by 'Version Midi') and I sampled an electric guitar so I could play it using electronic pipes.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

I'm also awaiting the vPipes. Aside from the travel/practice aspect that makes them attractive, I am also very interested in using them as a MIDI controller. Before I embraced the dark side, I spent years and years recording and performing experimental music (http://patrickmaun.com/music/music.html, I haven't updated the site in about six years, but will be soon). I work a lot with choreographers, and it seems like the vPipes may add an interesting performative aspect to the more experimental music I make. I've really let me music lapse over the past several years as I've really focused on Irish music and I'm kind of hoping the vPipes will get some fire in my belly for it again.

In any case, I'll subject you folks to it when I manage to crank something out.
luvspipes

Post by luvspipes »

Hello group.

I just wanted to let the others here who have ordered vPipes know that they indeed are NOT a scam. My vpipes arrived this afternoon. At first assessment, the workmanship is flawless. As for the sound and playability, there is a calibration procedure that must be followed in order to customize them - which I have not completed yet. At the moment, I'm pleased, but hope to be even more pleased soon.

Rick
morning wood

Post by morning wood »

luvspipes wrote:Hello group.

I just wanted to let the others here who have ordered vPipes know that they indeed are NOT a scam. My vpipes arrived this afternoon. At first assessment, the workmanship is flawless. As for the sound and playability, there is a calibration procedure that must be followed in order to customize them - which I have not completed yet. At the moment, I'm pleased, but hope to be even more pleased soon.

Rick
See other thread....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=76262&start=60