Wooff narrow bore D reed

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
eric reiswig
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wooff narrow bore D reed

Post by eric reiswig »

Hi all,

I've had a (c.1990) Geoff Wooff narrow bore D chanter come in looking for a reed.

There's no original reed present; can anyone help with some ballpark (or even better) measurements to start with?

The only actual dimensions i've found so far are in this thread, i'm just wondering if there's any more to be had.

Thanks!

eric
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Wooff narrow bore D reed

Post by billh »

Hi Eric,

I reeded two of these (of slightly later vintage) last year with some success, but frustratingly I cannot find my notes on them.

I would not make the head wider than 11.0 mm, perhaps 10.5 to start. I recall the scrape being a bit shorter than I would normally use - if memory serves it was 20mm or less - the "head speed" seemed to need to be relatively high. I believe I used one of my standard flat staples, which would be slightly tapered from about 3.3 to 3.5 mm I.D. over 50 mm - I am pretty sure I shortened the staple to 47 or less. I don't recall if I ended up rushing the staple down smaller or not. My narrow-bore reeds tend to hover around 76-78mm, but these may have been shorter. They were almost certainly not longer.

If you remain stuck, PM me and I'll try to retrieve one of the spares and measure it.

Bill