Wedding Slow Air

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
dmahler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wedding Slow Air

Post by dmahler »

Hi everyone,
So my sister has asked me to play the pipes at her wedding. She likes the "haunting sound" of the pipes. Frankly, my repertoire of slow airs is, at the moment, zero. Thankfully, she's not getting married until June, so I have some time. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good slow air to play her down the aisle to (it can be a cheesy tune, as long as it gets the job done)? Also, I would need a recording of the slow air so perhaps list a CD that it is found on, and possibly a source for the sheet music as well though this is not completely necessary.

Thanks very much for any help you guys can offer,
-Dylan
"Calvin, go do something you hate. It builds character."
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Wedding Slow Air

Post by rorybbellows »

You could play the beautiful slow air "Sliabh na mBan" (the mounting of the women) which at a wedding is kind of apt ,and then go into the jig " I buried my wife and danced on her grave"

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Ceann Cromtha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Bean Dubh an Ghleanna (The Dark Woman of the Glen) is on one of the NPU Piping Tutors with accompanying notes. In it the man is entranced by the beauty of the girl he loves, but, of course, this is metaphor for a much larger subject. In any event, if you have the DVD (I think it's volume 3), you'd have a video and audio presentation of it being performed and the notes of its basic structure.
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

rorybbellows wrote:You could play the beautiful slow air "Sliabh na mBan" (the mounting of the women) which at a wedding is kind of apt ,and then go into the jig " I buried my wife and danced on her grave"

RORY
The song is about men being slaughtered on the slopes of Slievenamon. the mountain of women, which is not very appropriate for a wedding. Hang on - maybe it is. :D
Simon
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

http://www.irishmusicweddings.com/

Click the music link at the top of the page.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

O'Carolan tunes are always a good choice for weddings. If it's a church wedding, remember to get permission from the priest.
PJ
waymer

Post by waymer »

Hey Dylan, check out Ronan Brown website he plays weddings all the time and is expert at the airs also there are dowloadable clips so you could laern them that way.
http://www.irishmusicweddings.com/
BTW you'll be great and your sister will love it :thumbsup: .
Jamie
Live every day as if it were your last, for one day you are sure to be right.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slievenamon

'mountain'

amazing how much a few letters changes things..
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Hey Dylan,

Yes, Ronin does present a good selection of approachable Irish tunes.
Chances are most people attending a wedding in Ontario will be unfamiliar even with these, so it will all be new!

In addition to that approach, you can mix things up with your own UP versions of more standard hymns. Also, going that way can help with meeting any liturgical requirements of the presiding pastor, as PJ correctly points out.

Paul