Selling Out

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
jdevereux
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Selling Out

Post by jdevereux »

Hey folks, been thinking alot about this and was wondering if anyone has any sage words of wisdom.

I've been playing the pipes for a while now and have gotten pretty good at it. Not great, but I know my way around the instrument. Despite this, I can feel myself beginning to move in a different direction musically, and as a result seriously neglecting the pipes. I've always been a strings player first and foremost. I play bluegrass mandolin very seriously, and have been playing the fiddle since I was a very little kid. Next week, I enter at the Berklee School of Music as a violin major, focusing on jazz, swing and American traditional music.
Growing up, I always fooled around with the guitar, but never seriously. In the last couple of months, however, I've been playing the guitar intensely. The musical versatility of the guitar really appeals to me, and because of my string-based background, I'm beginning to feel like I can speak through the instrument; there's something so emotive about electric blues. The problem is, the guitar I'm playing is a pawn shop special that I rewired, and really is not a serious instrument. I was lucky enough to get to borrow an incredible vintage Fender amp, but because I'm going to be moving to Boston it has returned to its owner (the ever supportive and generous Patrick Sky).
I guess the long and short of it is, I've been thinking about selling my pipes to buy a good guitar and amp. Its a beautiful Angus set in B natural. In a way, it would break my heart to see them go, but the instrument just isn't getting it deserves, and I feel like, for me, would be more fulfilling to be playing music that just isn't accessible to the pipes. I would hang on to a concert pitch chanter and the set of ghetto drones I put together a few years ago, so I wouldn't be giving the instrument up.
Honestly, I'm still very young and am trying to figure out what I am doing musically, and this is just a small facet of that larger question of identity. Any thoughts? Like I say, I am nowhere near reaching a decision on this and just looking for input.

thanks,
Jack Devereux
Ciarameddaru

Re: Selling Out

Post by Ciarameddaru »

Keep this in mind; It's much easier to obtain a decent sounding guitar than a decent set of Uilleann pipes. If you are young and your musical tastes are changing often you might not want to give up the pipes just yet because who knows, perhaps in another year or two you will really want to play pipes again. Good luck making your decision!
Zampogna: The Soul of Southern Italy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pa4W7iA5So
ChaplainBlake
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

I agree with Ciara...a good guitar is easy to find. Get a Blueridge BR-160 or something, and keep your flat set. Hey, get some gigs playing the uilleann pipes, and pay for your guitar with that. Just because the guitar is your instrument du jour does not mean the pipes will never be a mainstay of your instrumental arsenal.

As a word of encouragement: Most musicians go through phases as they develop their craft. I have fallen in love with several instruments and styles over the years. I would expect that musical exploration would be the rule, and not the exception.

--Blake
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I have been a pro-musician for my entire adult life. There have been times when I didn't want to sell an instrument or instruments, and kept them for a long period of time .... despite the fact that I was not using them. Eventually, I ended up selling it/them.

Now, I'd have to say that I am of the inclined to give you this sort of advice:

If if you are not using it, and you do not intend to pass it down to somebody who's going to use it, then sell it. Only do such if you're absolutely sure that you have found your voice with the guitar and you're ready to make that commitment. If you are, (ready to make that commitment), a fine guitar is going to cost you as much (or more) than a new set of pipes. You'll need that money that you'll make from the sale of the set to fuel your 6-string passion.

Keep 'er lit!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

If you're going down the jazz route, that's a lifelong study, and you defintley need at least one harmony instrument in your arsenal. You'll also find yourself needing more than one guitar! A Gibson 335 for about $2K is a great blues instrument and can handle jazz guitar to a point, but you'll end up getting a decent archtop as well. There are many great laminate instruments like Sadowsky's for $3-4K. You don't need to spend a fortune on a 'fine' guitar since you'll be playing amplified most of the time.

If you can't afford to get what you need and keep the flat set, sell it. There are always second hand sets coming up for sale if you want to get back into it.
Simon
jack london
Tell us something.: I like pipes and other things involving music, like music and pipes. Reeds are an enigma. Though I can make violins, I can not make a reed.

Post by jack london »

Follow your bliss.
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.
jdevereux

Post by jdevereux »

If you're going down the jazz route, that's a lifelong study, and you defintley need at least one harmony instrument in your arsenal. You'll also find yourself needing more than one guitar! A Gibson 335 for about $2K is a great blues instrument and can handle jazz guitar to a point, but you'll end up getting a decent archtop as well. There are many great laminate instruments like Sadowsky's for $3-4K. You don't need to spend a fortune on a 'fine' guitar since you'll be playing amplified most of the time.
That's a very good point. I have no piano chops (outside of using it as a tool to study theory), and you're right that something to comp with would be very useful. I've been looking at the electrics Bill Collings has been building-they seem like extremely well made interpretations of classic Gibson designs.
I guess now I just have to give some serious thought to which instrument will serve me best. Like I say, I would certainly not be giving up the pipes entirely (I've worked too hard on the damn things for that), just shifting financial focus. I feel like being at school will shed some light on what I end up doing. Not going to be making a major decision any time soon, just thinking about it. I really appreciate the advice.

thanks,
Jack
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Follow your heart Jack, we'll leave a candle lit in the window for you. :thumbsup:
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

As a great sufferer of musical A.D.D., I have a lot of instruments around. Most of them I play regularly enough to justify keeping.

I do make an exception with pipes though. If I'm not playing a set I sell it. Principally for two* reasons.

1. Pipes are somewhat scarce and folks that really want to play them ought to have access to a set.
2. Pipes seem to need to be played with some regularity to keep the reeds happy. Pulling a set out of a closet after a couple of years of dis-use is likely to result in a set that needs a fair bit of reed adjusting/replacing before it can be sold. This would make re-selling a real pain.
3. Pipes can tie up a lot of cash.

There will be other sets if you change your mind later. Get your guitar and have fun.

Doc

*There are three kinds of people in this world; those who can count, and those who can't.
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Musical ADD runs in my family. My parents both suffer from it and as a result they have all sorts of weird and wonderful instruments floating around the house. I went through a long phase of it until discovering the pipes but economic necessity has always forced me to sell things I am not playing. It would be really nice to still have a French horn, an Irish harp, and an another concert pitch half set of pipes but if you're strapped for cash, all those can bring in a fair bit of ££.

I guess I am saying if you can afford to keep the pipes for a while, keep them in case you want to take them back up seriously, as you don't seem sure yet. I suppose if you were to sell them and then wished you still had a flat set, buying another flat set while being a student is not easy. If you really need the cash and are pretty sure you won;t play them, then sell them.
bramble

Post by bramble »

Any chance of developing a jazz pipes style?

OK OK stop throwing things at me! :boggle:
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Another thing to keep in mind is availability. If you plan on keeping on with the pipes, down the road you'll want to play a flat set again (as discerning pipers tend to do), but then you're faced with potentially long waits from your maker(s) of choice, and possibly greater cost. Good guitars, I presume, are comparatively easier to come by.
"History...is a record of unjustified suffering, irreparable loss, tragedy without catharsis."
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

bramble wrote:Any chance of developing a jazz pipes style?
It's been done, with the GHB at least, by Rufus Harley.
PJ
bramble

Post by bramble »

what a dude!
mayo_piper

Post by mayo_piper »

Obviously piping was not the ONLY passion Rufus had...he had 16 children ! :lol:
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx