Humidifier Recommendations?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
straycat82
antispam: No

Humidifier Recommendations?

Post by straycat82 »

I'll soon be starting out learning the pipes and I live in an extremely dry climate (Arizona). I've been looking around at different acoustic humidifiers as well as cigar humidifiers to keep in the case. Are there any that you all have found work well? Is it necessary to get a hygrometer in addition to a humidifier? Is there a standard humidity level that is appropriate for the instrument?

I appreciate the tips.

Regards,
Johnny
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Humidifier Recommendations?

Post by PJ »

You might be better off getting your pipes reeded for a dry climate. That way you won't have to use a humidifier.

If you end up using a humidifier, I don't think you'll need anything too sophisticated. I've heard of people boiling kettles and even putting wet sponges in their bellows in order to combat the dry air.
PJ
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by uilleannfinlander »

These are good, nice to use in case :
http://www.thomann.de/gb/guitar_humidifiers.html
And old trick is to keep some apples in pipecase.
billh

Post by billh »

You'll need dry-weather-friendly reeds in that climate anyhow, but humidifying is still a good idea. Wood doesn't like <20% RH. At <10% RH you'll have difficulty getting even custom-made reeds to sound decent.

You will also want a hygrometer, since otherwise you're liable to be inadvertantly subjecting your pipes and reeds to big humidity swings, which are the worst enemy of all. I think that all pipers would benefit from keeping a hygrometer in their case or in the room where their pipes are stored.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

billh wrote: you're liable to be inadvertantly subjecting your pipes and reeds to big humidity swings, which are the worst enemy of all.
couldna said it better there... the swings are the worst.

I have this little pocket jobbie fo rthe road, and a regular hang-up weather station for the closet where my pipes live.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Thanks for the comments everyone.

billh, you bring up another good subject that I was concerned with: It is typical here to see anywhere from 10-30% RH here during the long summer season (which accounts for 75% of our year in the desert!) and I want to find a good balance between keeping them comfortable and ready to play but not so damp that they have mood swings five minutes out of the case. Would you generally shoot for 5% to 10% above the current conditions or is there no such standard?

I realize there is no perfect answer to these inquiries, but I do appreciate the shared experiences and educated opinions.

-Johnny
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

I just use an old plastic Vitamin C pill 'tube' stuffed with tissue paper, and with holes drilled in it. Make the tissues damp now and again, and leave it in the pipes case.....works for me :)
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

I started with this acoustic humidifier-job (H(m)oneywell). Rubbish, Scheißdreck, no good. You´ll have to buy a new filter every 3 weeks. I now use this standard vaporizer-job. You can clean it yourself.

Over here we have continental climate and central heatings are standard. Generally the humidity is drier than in Ireland (~45%). When in the winter the humidity goes below 40%, I switch it on. Below 40% (depending on the reed) it usually causes troubles. It is better for your health, too.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

These would be good things to raise with Fr. Pat and the gang at Piperlink. We have some excellent pipers here in Southern California, where the conditions are similar - seldom above 30% away from the water, often lower. They know how to cope. I have a feeling that people elsewhere don't always intuit the relentless dryness. Even if you humidify, a few minutes out of the case and your instrument is sucked dry anyway. I'd think acclimatization has to be the key.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Thank you MT. Any chance we will enjoy a San Diego contingeant this Sunday?

Yes, we are well versed in the ways of the life sapping dryness and hot winds of the west. I have two magical words for you that you should memorize and then eat your monitor.... Sunbeam Ultrasonic.... more on Sunday :)

Shockin' Holy,

Fr. Pat.
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

Use a plastic case with nothing but the pipes in it. That is no towels or cloth to wrap the pipes in.
Put in a soaked sponge and seal the case between playing sessions. This keeps me going.
regards.
Robert
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!