case for two sets!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
j.hohl.kennedy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

case for two sets!

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

Hello!

I've been searching through old posts here on the Uilleann Pipes forum about pipes-cases and have come across some interesting ideas. I currently have a [absolutely fantastic] full set in C that fits well in the [mountain dulcimer] case that came with the instrument. At some point in the future, I'll be obtaining a set in D and I'd like a case that will fit a C set, a D set, and one bellows.

Suggestions, fellow pipers?

Best wishes,
Jonathan
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: case for two sets!

Post by djm »

I use a double-shotgun case. One thing I wish it had was wheels. Lugging two sets of pipes in one case can get quite heavy after awhile.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I must ask why? Do you see yourself playing the 2 sets during the same gig/session?
PJ
j.hohl.kennedy

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

PJ wrote:I must ask why? Do you see yourself playing the 2 sets during the same gig/session?
PJ,

I would need to house both sets in the same case for travelling purposes. I'm a flat-piper by heart but often need to have D-material handy for Those Other Musicians. Har har.

Best,
Jonathan
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

As DJM mentions a double shotgun case would probably be your best bet. Just make sure you get them deep enough. Many gun cases are made 4 inches deep inside. My own experience is that 4 inches is not enough to comfortably store bellows. You want to make sure you get something that's 6 inches deep.

That said, keeping an extra D chanter with your C set will probably save you a lot of heavy carrying.
PJ
JR

Post by JR »

Just keep the D chanter with your C set for sessions and the C set for when you need a bit of regulator work. I can't imagine how painful it would be lugging two sets around Milltown street for Willie week. You would have no fingers left to play at all!
j.hohl.kennedy

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

You've posted some valid points. I'm going to stay away from any gun cases purely because I don't want any more trouble than necessary at the airports. I know people who've been pulled aside into the *special room* largely because they were carrying a gun case.

Currently, I do carry my full C set with a D chanter and that works fine. I'm looking for something that'll help me carry both complete instruments (with one bellows) for when I'm travelling.

Ádh mór,
Jonathan
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Hey dude,

There are a variety of hardshell keyboard cases that would suit your needs. Looks more like an instrument case than a gun case. Lots of variety in terms of required dimensions.
I use a rather large keyboard case for carrying both sets of pipes. One case verses two, but its bulky. Pros and cons I guess.

Also there are some nice aluminum rifle cases that look more generic than most gun cases. They do come in a good depth for bellows. Slap some kitchy irish or tional stickers on there and yer good to go!

Paul

P.S. I happen to have a nice aluminum case that fits a certain D set PERFERCTLY :D
PJ

Post by PJ »

If you're avoiding gun cases, then that probably limits your options. Either find a sufficiently big instrument case for another instrument (double sax case?) and gut it out. Alternatively, get a flight case made to measure. I was quoted CA$350 for a made-to-measure fight case 30"x12"x6" for my concert pitch set.
PJ
j.hohl.kennedy

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

PJ wrote:If you're avoiding gun cases, then that probably limits your options. Either find a sufficiently big instrument case for another instrument (double sax case?) and gut it out. Alternatively, get a flight case made to measure. I was quoted CA$350 for a made-to-measure fight case 30"x12"x6" for my concert pitch set.
Again, good points. I know that I had a TKL oblong, arch-top fiddle case for a full set of pipes, once, and they fit perfectly. I'm thinking I may try a TKL oblong, arch-top DOUBLE fiddle case and see what happens.

Jonathan