Decision time... I need YOUR opinions! :)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
amckay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Decision time... I need YOUR opinions! :)

Post by amckay »

While boxwood and imitation ivory are common choices for mounts, don't exclude other woods. Gordon Galloway has used a purple coloured wood (purple heart??) which works really well. His site shows a holly chanter with ebony mounts. Any reason why that cannot be reversed so you have a blackwood/ebony chanter with holly mounts? Quite a few options open to you.
Douglas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Decision time... I need YOUR opinions! :)

Post by Douglas »

I would go for ebony, boxwood, and silver. Ebony is a good choice for a flat set, plumb wood would probably be a good choice for concert pitch, to mellow it out. It looks great too.

Boxwood mounts are a great choice for ebony. It is a nice contrast, It is not so stark as the black and white effect you would get with art ivory. My concert pitch set is cocobolo and art ivory, made by Mark Donohoe, and looks great, but the ebony needs something that is not at the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Then silver just ties it all together and gives it a classy look. Hey, that is just how my C# is made. I was just playing it yesterday at the park while my kids were playing soccer. It is another lovely set, made by Bill Haneman.