Keeping Time When Playing

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Wannabe-Piper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Keeping Time When Playing

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

Just a question: Does anyone else feel like they are suddenly playing in jerky or un-even(is that the word) time when playing the Uilleann Pipes? I am talking about mistimed cuts, clumsily-executed rolls or speeding up contribuating to an uneven rythm.
And for those who have overcome this barrier, any tips on how to rectify it would be much appreciated.
Christoffer

Re: Keeping Time When Playing

Post by Christoffer »

I can certainly identify with the speeding up bit. :lol:

Rythm is one of those things that many people have to learn. You could do rythm exercises by clapping your hands (triplets etc), or use a Metronome when your playing.
If you're having trouble with a particular tune you could try playing it real slow, and gradually up the tempo.

Chris.
Last edited by Christoffer on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Shhhh...quiet...we don't discuss such things openly...

Actually the topic you raise is often the "big elephant in the room" that nobody wants to acknowledge about piping. There is a lot going on in playing the pipes and unfortunately timing can suffer. Perhaps more so than on many other instruments.

Repeat after me "The Metronome is my friend. The Metronome is my friend..." Keep repeating - preferably while piping along with the Metronome!
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Magroibin is spot on... I lovingly call this "piperitis," as uneven timing seems more prevalent an affliction amongst pipers I meet than the players of other instruments. My pet theory explaining the underlying causes of this malady is not so much that the pipes involve more multitasking (I have attempted to play fiddle once or twice and found trying to move a bow whilst messing about with strings on the other hand ridiculous) but that absolutely every aspect of playing the things, the ornamentation, timing, rhythm, is all dependent on placing your fingers in the right place at the right time. Other instruments have a more physical aspect to them, such as bowing, squeezing, breathing, or strumming (I know! sounds kinky). If you play fiddle, box, flute, whistle, or banjo you can partially at least maintain some semblance of rhythm even if your fingers on one hand miss. In a way you can use your body then to keep a steady beat in a way you don't with the pipes and somewhat curtail the temptation to rush. Also a badly timed roll on pipes stands out more than a badly timed roll on fiddle. Am I making sense?

The cure? Play really slowly and work on timing. Then speed it up. When you get a speed where the timing gets uneven, slow it down and try to work up to it again. I also like switching between playing highly straight and highly swung to explore the phrases of a tune. I find the swing helps find the rhythm. I'm certainly guilty of piperitis and spend the better part of my practicing obsessing over timing, as I don't want to still be playing unevenly in ten years.
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

Learn to play triplets and rolls in correct time. If you're playing a tune slowly, play the rolls slowly as well. Many people, myself included, will play a tune slowly an then speed through the nice tight triplets all fancy like. It's hard to hear if you are doing this when you're playing which is why recording yourself (no matter how painful this may be) is a great aid in learning to play correctly. You can really hear if you are playing in time when listing to a recording and diagnose where you are going astray. Playing slowly and in control is hard.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Please, everybody, for the love of Jobe.... us a freakin' metronome! :shock:
Charlie Skelton

Post by Charlie Skelton »

Regarding metronomes, they can be difficult to play with as you have no real idea of when the next tick is and there can be a tendency to play a bit ahead of the time, and then compensate with a longer note whilst waiting for the next beat. A traditional, free, and in my opinion more user friendly option is to use a pendulum. Varying the length changes the speed, and you can see where you are within the bar. I believe it was Christopher Simpson who expounded the idea in his book 'The Division Violist'.

Cheers,

Charlie.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Is a pendulum not merely an upside-down metronome?

Or are you just taking the mick? :D

Pat.
Charlie Skelton

No, I meant a real piece of string and weight job, a foot or so gives a steady safe speed for jigs and reels ( 2 beats to the bar). Try it, but I should mention it can be a bit mesmeric.

Cheers,

Charllie.
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

Or...., if it's a jig you just keep saying "bicycle" and if it's a reel you just keep saying "motorcycle." Then again, I have been known to forget what I'm riding at the moment! :thumbsup:
"So many tunes, so little time"

Member - www.hudsonriverpipersclub.com
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Where do ye tie the knot for hornpipes?How far the swing?Whit width string?How heavy the weight? questions questions always questions.
I reckon" your avin a larf " :wink:
Metronome, no ifs no buts, and remember, A Metronome is for life not just for Christmas. :love:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Charlie Skelton

I am serious. The period of a pendulum is dependant solely upon the length of the string ( at least with a thin string and a dense weight to minimise the drag), a foot long pendulum has a period of about 1 second. which gives 60 /120 BPM.

Cheers,

Charlie.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Why not just playing so slowly that you can focus on your rhythm and it won't trip up? Isn't that a more intrinsic way to develop your steadiness rather than relying on an external ticking device? I'm also of the opinion that when beginners to Irish music rely on metronomes, they would usually end up playing in more straitjacketed interpretations of rhythm instead of eventually developing complexity in swing and microphrasing.

I also second what SS said about it being a little trickier as everything rhythmic on the melody line is controlled solely by the fingers which are small appendages.
eric

Post by eric »

> I am talking about mistimed cuts, clumsily-executed rolls or speeding up contribuating to an uneven rythm.

You're playing too fast, which will lock in bad habits. To overcome this, you have to learn to play very slowly, with utterly relaxed control. A metronome is useful, but at this stage I would try exercises to overcome any excess tensions you may have in your hands and forearms. For example, set the metronome to 60 and play a single note for 3 clicks before switching to the next note -- the idea is to start completely relaxed at the beginning of the note, through the note, and into the next note... release all tension you may introduce into your forearms and hands when changing notes.

As you learn to relax, you have to realize how much *more* you can relax... Keep in mind this is a long journey.
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

I am talking about mistimed cuts, clumsily-executed rolls or speeding up contribuating to an uneven rythm

Ah, well bodhran players have their own problems too... :D
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org