RE: Very good cane

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
patsky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

RE: Very good cane

Post by patsky »

Joseph Sampson has been harvesting good California cane with the Uilleann Pipes in mind. The stuff he sent to me was just great.
www://www.sampsonCane@gmail.com

Pat Sky
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
madfortrad

Re: RE: Verry good cane

Post by madfortrad »

I'll second that. I just got some today and its great stuff.

Joseph is great to deal with and will supply exactly what you ask for.
For those who are used to the softer French and Spanish canes there is a bit of a learning curve when using this type of cane but the end results are excellent and well worth the extra efforts needed. The tonal characteristics are fantastic and the playability is great. Makes for a nice comfortable reed.

I have been a big lover of Californian cane for many many years but always found it very hard to get, with supplies being very sporadic. Limiting the reeds i made with it for myself or a very few select piping friends. The fact that Joseph can supply this "fuss-free" is a real exciting prospect.
Add to this i got my order sent from California to Ireland in a matter of days for a very reasonable rate. I am a very happy man :wink:

I am lucky enough to have some Californian "Gold" given to me by Paddy Keenan, the two are highly highly comparable in apperance and behaviour
Nice to know there is some nice cane out there. the best reed-maker in the world, with the best recipe can only make the best reed with the materials available.
Therefore the quality of cane is paramount when making a reed.
The tone of this cane leaves one in no doubts as to its quality

Highly recommended to all

edit: just noticed that the address given by Pat is incorrect
Contact Joseph: sampsoncane@gmail.com
Last edited by madfortrad on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brazenkane

Re: RE: Very good cane

Post by Brazenkane »

I've been w/Joseph from the beginning! I can't speak highly enough about this kind gentle man. His product is 2nd to none.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
bcpipes

Post by bcpipes »

Yep Yep, indeed. He sent me some. Good cane.
Joseph
antispam: No

Post by Joseph »

hello everyone,
I wanted to express my gratitude for the kind and gracious comments left in this thread. You have no idea how much it means! I know we are all busy, and when someone takes the time to post something encouraging it means a great deal. I would like to say that it feels great to be able to provide a service to the pipe community. The cane is (I believe) good cane, and should be available to the masses.

I received a few emails asking for information about the cane and for prices, so I am posting some info including some personal info on how I got started selling cane.

I am selling chanter cane that I have harvested here in Southern California. I had inquired in early 2008 of revered reed maker Michael O'Donovan, where to harvest some cane since I was looking to get into reed making for my pipes. Under the tutelage of Michael, I had began making reeds for my pipes and harvesting cane. Michael informed me of a few locations he had found that produced GOOD SOFT cane. He suggested that if I harvested enough, that currently there was a market for selling cane to reed makers and pipe makers. With Michael's advice and guidance, I have harvested quite a bit of (dead standing) what I believe to be some very good cane. I gave Michael a few tubes to judge the quality of the cane. He said that it looked and felt the same as the good cane he had harvested before. He made a few reeds from it and told me they turned out extremely well. Michael actually emailed me later to buy cane for himself and another reedmaker. BTW, Brazenkaine has been a huge supporter from the beginning. He was the first person to order cane from me, and has been an incredible encouragement in this journey.

With all that said, I am now selling chanter cane to pipemakers and reedmakers. The price is $2 per tube. I am aware that this is a bit more expensive that Medir cane, however with time spent traveling to harvest the cane (I drive 2 hours away from my home), and with time spent hand selecting and handling the cane, this is the price I currently must charge for now. At the moment, I'm not selling drone cane, however I have some ideas for drone cane that are in the works. I'll let you know if and when that happens.

I am currently working on a website which should be up and running soon. However, I can take orders through PayPal. Simply email me. I am willing to send out free samples of 2 or 3 tubes, if the other party can pay for the shipping. I stand by and guarantee my cane. If you find the cane is to hard, brittle, to soft or not the correct size; simply send the unused portion(s) back to me for your money back or a free replacement, and I'll pay the shipping back to you. Any other questions please email me. Thanks again to everyone! All the best,
Joseph Sampson
Sampson Cane- California cane
sampsoncaneatgmaildotcom
http://sampsoncane.com
BzzzzT
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

Joseph's cane is AWESOME! I have been using medir cane till my supply was running out and I badly needed some cane. I had gotten some soft CA cane from Ted Anderson a while ago and it made me a convert of soft CA cane. The soft cane from Joseph is the caviar of uilleann pipe cane in my opinion. I have made over a dozen reeds from it and I really appreciate its quality. This cane has made some really cracking reeds! Joseph is also a really nice guy to top it all off. I highly recommend his cane!

- Jason