Suggestions for Em Air/Lament

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
jqpublick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Suggestions for Em Air/Lament

Post by jqpublick »

I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions. So..... thanks, folks.

The director, in a sharp (but not entirely unexpected about-face) has decided that "March of the High King of Laois" is exactly what he wants. (He heard me warming up with it.) So that's what I'll be playing. Now I have several new laments/airs to add to my repertoire. They're recording the show, so if everything goes well I'll be able to put something up on the clips and snips portion of this fine extra-physical establishment.

I did try playing Em tunes against the drones and to my surprise they sounded good. Interestingly, it depended entirely on the tune whether or not the drones sounded good with it.

On a completely seperate note (har, har. Get it? It's a musical word-play. My goodness, but I kill me.) I've just recently started trying the 2nd 8ve f or g trill (wiggly right forefinger while the note is sustained) and it seems to me that if I open the f hole first, then it sounds like a trill on the f, whereas if I open the g holes it sounds like I'm trilling on the g. Is this just me, or do other players have that perception as well? Even more important, does the audience?

Mark