Custom Taxes and VAT for set from US

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
otak
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Custom Taxes and VAT for set from US

Post by otak »

I need help in estimating the final price of a set . Really eager to get chance to play on some pipes with nice sound .
I found just one topic about that and without particular percent , maybe I missed it for which I am sorry ...
Does anybody has experience or know what is custom taxes for uilleann pipes from US to UK ?
Which company is better to use FedEx or USPS or some other one ?
For a value between 1000 - 1500 $ . What is the way to be insured and how much will it cost too ?

Thank you !
simonknight

Re: Custom Taxes and VAT for set from US

Post by simonknight »

To work out the Customs duty you need to first know the classification code which will determine what duty you pay on the goods. Call 01702 366077 and give them the description and they will tell you the duty rate.

For example 5% Duty.

Value of the goods £1500 plus shipping £40 = £1540.00 Customs value is £1540.00 X 5% Duty rate = £77.00 Duty.

£1540+ £77.00 X 15% VAT = £1859.55
VAT is worked out on the customs value plus the duty
Simon
Elmek
antispam: No

Post by Elmek »

Hi Otak

Importing into the UK from US means you will get hit by import duties & VAT. I seem to remeber a post some months back which featured several pipemakers who have had trouble with customs when getting instruments back for upgrading and repairs and they had been more or less held to ransom with quite exhorbitent charges :cry:

Where are you in the UK ?

It may be cheaper (no duty and probably no VAT) and better to buy from a more local maker with the added advantage that the reeds will have been made for this climate. You will also be a lot closer to the maker should a problem arise and if you cannot pick up the instrument in person insurance/postal costs will be a lot lower.

The other way round which is importing into the US from the UK is better as there is no duty on bagpipes :D

John
otak

Post by otak »

Thanks for the help !

Yes , it will be better to buy it from somewhere near , but I haven't found anything yet .

I am in Northern Ireland .
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

There are some good pipemakers around you, Robbie Hughes, Martin Preshaw, Brendan O'Hare, to name but a few. You should check the NPU site www.pipers.ie (> resources > pipemakers).
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi otak

The Belfast tionol is in March, I believe (have you the dates Fergus?), and you have the Armagh Pipers Club, the McPeake school and the various CCE branches as a source of help. Between them you should be able to lay your hands on a used set, or get pointed in the direction of a suitable maker, without the hassles of customs etc.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

I went to New York in 2005 to pick up my Gallagher set. Never intended to go to N.Y. but as this option was way cheaper than shipping them over because of heavy taxes, it was an easy choice. By the way, I got to see the big apple!!!
Robert,
Sweden
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

If you do go for a US made set and have it sent by post there is a cautionary tale in the Ebay thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64836&start=75 which shows how delays in the postal system can leave you with a wrecked set of pipes

John
Ian Lawther
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ian Lawther »

In addition to the duty and VAT you are likely to be charged an admin. fee for collecting it by the shipping company. This cropped up just this morning after I had sold a DVD to another member of these forums. The disc turned out to be about £3 over the point where theUK charges duty on a DVD so he got 3.5% duty, 15% VAT plus an £8 admin fee from the Royal Mail.
When looking into this I found that some of the private shipping firms (DHL, UPS, FedEx etc) charge an admin fee based on a percentage but I'm not sure whether that is a percentage of the total cost or a percentage of the duty they are collecting.

Ian
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I echo whit Ian said given I was the one on the receiving end.:cry:
I have never had this on an item which is so low priced and this pushed the price up considerably.Now this might have been a one aff freaky thing or it may be a new policy to enforce the rules rigidly in order to recap money,especially in these recessional fiscal days of bread and water.I think it is thus and therefore we can expect far more scrutiny frae items ootside the EU.
Given the cheapy cheap flights these days ye would be far safer and financially happier collecting yersel whenever possible.
Fair play to Ian he did refund me a good part of the excess but it is not his job to do so and and if he did it regularly he wouldnae have one :shock:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.