Keeping the pipes warm

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kearnybagpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Keeping the pipes warm

Post by Kearnybagpiper »

Winter has come early to the Northeast part of the United States. Temps expected to drop to the mid 20 (F) degree mark the next couple of days.

I have to carry the pipes with me after work to a different part of New York City for my weekly lesson. Im worried about them getting too cold, and I am thinking about putting a disposable hand warmer, along with my ever-present humidifier, in the case to keep them warm. Think it will do any good?
No E

Post by No E »

I think you'd be better off adding some extra foam (preferably closed-cell) to your case. Better insulation is a "can't hurt" type of solution--I think an active heat source in your case is asking for trouble. But then I live in California, so what do I know from cold?

Good luck,

No E
Last edited by No E on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I can out-cold you and out-dry you as I live in Minnesota :(

My pipes have to go from room temp to below zero and back again off and on all winter. Yes, I worry like hell about them, but they seem to take it all in stride.

No E has nailed it with the insulation angle I'm thinking.

t

Post by misterpatrick »

What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.
Pazziato

Post by Pazziato »

What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.
...and if its a boxwood chanter - banana-esque .. . .

(although said chanter has resumed (mostly) its normal straightishness)

-pcole
Nilihism is best left to the Professionals.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

THis is one place where those with pakistani pipes are at an advantage over the rest of us as there is a ready made solution that will keep them nice and warm :P

John
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

tommykleen wrote:I can out-cold you and out-dry you as I live in Minnesota :(
HA! Come to Winnipeg, only 8 hours north of balmy Minnesota. Reeds freeze for months at a time here. And dry? Lemme tell ya about daily nosebleeds. This one time my mom and I both spontaneously combusted it was so dry. Fortunately I wasn't wearing the pipes at the time so once my father rehydrated mom 'n' me I played a few tunes for them. Dad convinced me to go outside and play some trumpet so I'm typing with the horn right now. Only five more months until I can speak again.

Mark (the really cold)
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

better cold than hot, but what all musical instruments hate are a quick change in temp, your case is the buffer for this.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

tansy wrote:... but what all musical instruments hate are a quick change in temp ...
Exactly.

Invest in a good wooden case. Wood is better than metal (doesn't conduct heat as well).

Also, you can get a type of insulation which looks like a sheet of bubble-wrap with aluminium foil stuck to one side. This is about 10 mm thick and is excellent insulation for your pipes case, without taking up too much room. It doesn't keep the pipes at a constant temperature but will slow the heat loss if you're going out into serious cold.
PJ
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

there's only one way to play yr. round i n he coldest driest of climates.

More on that later.....

(teaser)
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

PJ wrote:
Also, you can get a type of insulation which looks like a sheet of bubble-wrap with aluminium foil stuck to one side.
An added bonus of using this, of course, is that the aliens wont be able to read your pipe's mind....
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

CHasR wrote:
PJ wrote:
Also, you can get a type of insulation which looks like a sheet of bubble-wrap with aluminium foil stuck to one side.
An added bonus of using this, of course, is that the aliens wont be able to read your pipe's mind....
Or if you're marooned, you can use it to signal passing aircraft.
PJ
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

they make such things as instrument warming bags...seen our local baroque group use them for lutes, recorders, silk undies + such...probably dont come in uilleann size, though...
PJ

Post by PJ »

I've seen some instrument cases (for guitars, fiddles, etc) which claimed to have hermetic seals. They're mainly designed to resist changes in humidity, but some have been insulated too.
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

PJ wrote:I've seen some instrument cases (for guitars, fiddles, etc) which claimed to have hermetic seals. They're mainly designed to resist changes in humidity, but some have been insulated too.
I think hermetic seals should be left to their own devices. If they want to exclude themselves from the rest of seal life then leave them to it.

As the great hermetic seal himself once said "oar oar oar".

Thank you,

PD.