Favorite European reedmaker & reedmaking teacher ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glasba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Post by glasba »

Since I am beggining with Uilleann chanter, I would like if someone can share with me who is favorite or excellent European Reedmaker, who can also teach reedmaking others? I heard that Alan Burton is one of the best reedmaker? What are opinion about Allan Moller, or someone else? If possible I would like that the same person can also teach me playing beside reedmaking and if possible intensely 7 or 10 days together, since the plane tickets are expensive. I will pay the price. It can be England, Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy ect. AA :-?
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

hi Glasba, sounds like your best bet is a tionol, the Willie Clancy Summer School being the biggest in Europe (I think). You will get ample tuition in reedmaking and playing. Sadly, my 'Floating Tionol' is still on ice while I build a new business in London.

As to 'best', good way to start an argument :swear: there are several very good reedmakers out there, who all teach different methods. I have hired Alan Burton and Brian Howard for my tionol and both were superb and very professional.

Do check out the NPU DVD also.

Slovenia is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe, why not start a tionol in the mountains there and hire a great teacher to come to you? Distance is not much of an object for students of a great tionol. we had pipers from Israel, the US and Europe come to Oxford.
allan moller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

reeds

Post by allan moller »

hi glasba,nice of you to mention me.i would be happy to teach you reedmaking if you came over.www.uilleannreeds.co.uk.
allan
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Hi Glasba,
indeedy, your best bet is a tionól. As you are in Slovenia you also might take one over here into concideration. Andreas Rogge holds the reedmaking class each time. Reedmaking really is a long-term process (including many "unfortunate" but also helpful mistakes). It is very much involved with doing on your own (from time to time). An intensive thing might not be too helpful. Here is some information about our meetings:
http://www.dupg.net/
Of course the language is a problem but at least you can cypher out the dates. All the musicians over here have a fluent command of English. We meet three times a year. Closest to you is the Fürsteneck-tionól, which always is on Easter.
Cheers,
Hans
papuga

Re: Favorite European reedmaker & reedmaking teacher ?

Post by papuga »

Dear Glasba:

I have been frustrated by making playable, but not great reeds for more years than I can remember. I would love to share my limited knowledge with you. I am probably also your closest frustrated reedmaker, as I spend much of my time in Istria, Croatia. Send me a pm if you're interested.

In other words, I share the view that reedmakers should ideally gain AHA experiences by observing the masters in Miltown and other UP meeting places, then return to their own little caves in order to try to emulate the experience on their own. Someday, YOU will also control the forces of cane and beeswax...
Regards from
Daniel Winfree Papuga
glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Re: Favorite European reedmaker & reedmaking teacher ?

Post by glasba »

Dear guys,

Thank you wery much for all your comments and helpfull advices. I realy appreciate all of them. Of course I will buy all the best books and DVDs ect. but all that can't beat real live experience. I experienced that when I was working in Violin restoration for a year, and I found that books ect., can be only place to check theory and methods. I also understand and agree that it is a long term process, but I just want to start correctly and that's why I am looking for someone who can teach me and who successfully is making reeds by following checked method of one of the next reedmakers; Benedict Koehler, Craig Fischer, Peter Hunter, Cillian O'Brian, Geoff Woof... ect. Best regards, Ales, Slovenia :)
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Ain't no one can make a reed like Alan Burton! He's enchanted, that's for sure! I received my first reed for my first chanter about 5 years ago. I told him it was an early Williams, and he made one, sent it, and it still plays, through hot and cold, humid and dry. Sheer genius!
Ballygo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ballygo »

I have to agree , Alan Burton is fantastic one of the best in the world .

Ballygo
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I would recommend Mr. Allan Moller. I have ordered several reeds from him and he has always provided me good service and an excellent product. I have two Hillmann chanters that require a rather large diameter staple and he has reeded both of them to my satisfaction. I might add that the weather conditions on the US East Coast are trying, since they are quite variable. His reeds have worked fantastically in both the hot humid warm (hot) months, as well as the cold dry ones.
halfirish

Post by halfirish »

It’s all a question of one’s personal experience, of course. This particular recommendation is for Alan Moller.

My own experience is limited, having used only a couple of reedmakers in my short time as an Uilleann piper (3 years). Alan Burton has made excellent reeds for my Bailey, Lim and Roberts chanters in the past. Recently, I had the opportunity to ask Alan Moller to make me a reed at the 2008 South Wales Tionol, where in fact both Alans were in attendance as exponents of the black art. My Roberts’ chanter, which is problematic, to say the least, from a reed-making point of view, is as good a test as any for a reed-maker in my view.

Alan Moller’s reed has turned out to be very good in this particular chanter. He had several, almost-finished reeds available to try on the day and one seemed particularly promising. With a few adjustments it was soon playing well. I guess this is a good approach, given that the reed maker is always presented with a wide variety of chanters and has limited time to produce working reeds at an event like a Tionol.

Alan also suggested a good fix for the rather sharp C natural on this chanter. Instead of simply taping over part of the C hole, he suggested taking a piece of staple tubing and, using a mandrill, beating out until it fit snugly into the hole in the chanter, thus flattening the note without the need for unsightly tape. Rather neat I thought. So it’s well done Alan Moller on this occasion.
Tel