Reed Binding Materials

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
emer

Post by emer »

I have used 1mm whipping line - prewaxed synthetic line as used by sailors on ropes and sails etc,. - over PTFE tape - cheap and easy to use, 6euros for 50 metres.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

When you wrap a reed with waxed hemp the wrapping stays put.
Are synthetics as good?
Do they consist of finer threads or a monofiliment?
I envision synthetic 'hemp' would be stiffer, having less friction on the wrap and a tendancy to unravel when you start to unwrap it.
Idwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Idwood »

If you want to use dental floss - which I highly recommend - then stay away from those varieties with flavor, menthol for example. Otherwise your pipes will smell like chewing gum :wink:
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Synthetics stay as well as hemp, so far as my experiences have gone. They are made up of finer threads.

Nyltex holds great, isn't stiff at all and has just as much, if honestly not more friction, than the different hemp/linen threads I've used. It looks very, very different but works very, very well.

Dionys
bagpipeworks

Post by bagpipeworks »

Peter Hunter has used shrink wrap in the past for quickness, I have tried it and found the odd reed leaking past the seal it makes, so I judge it a non starter.
You can't beat the good old fashioned waxed
rayon twine, its very strong and holds together nicely and it doesn't slip back afterwards.
Hemp is good but I find that it can loosen off after a while.
When everything is fixed you can coat the whole binding in either shellac which soaks through the layers and glues evrything together, or use plumbers tape which allows you to redo things, you can undo the reed using the shellac way afterwards by soaking the twine in alcohol, but its a messy afair.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Davy, does the alcohol hurt the reed in any way?
I sealed a reed (both reed slips and wrapping) with nail polish. It was a spare reed that was marginal, at best. The polish killed the tone of the reed completely, so I used acetone to loosen the hemp and clean off the slips. I re-wrapped the reed and it brought the reed back to life better than before the experiment.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Last edited by AlanB on Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Hemp...alcohol...meth...?

Quite a thread.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

We all have our crutches.
Marc
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Not to mention the whipping line. Can I join?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Tony

Post by Tony »

emer wrote:I have used 1mm whipping line - prewaxed synthetic line as used by sailors on ropes and sails etc,. - over PTFE tape - cheap and easy to use, 6euros for 50 metres.
I'm bringing this topic back to life... again.

I was on the line with Ian Mackenzie talking about... pipes!
In the conversation, I mentioned the various posts about the pre-waxed synthetic thread. His comment was there are many different ways to bind a reed. His recipe (which comes from a 1940's book on reedmaking) is to use pitch (black tar) mixed with beeswax on doubled crochet thread. It's really strong and the tar makes it stick like 'sh*t to a blanket' giving it fantistic grip to stay put, yet has the ability to be unwound should you want to rebind the slips.

I have a reed in my Wooff chanter that's outer wrapped in PTFE that works and even gives a compression fit when plugged into the chanter socket, different than waxed hemp.
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

I use Plumbers tape and then UNWAXED nylon carpet or upholstery thread.. Tape seals it up and the thread holds it down. I start both at the end of the staple. The PFTE keeps the thread in place and I can get a nice tight wind. Just a spot of duco cement or any other quick drying epoxy at the top of the wind to keep it from unraveling and another spot at the end of the thread loosly spiraled back down at the staple to form the dry wind. Another few winds of PFTE around the dry wind and it seals nicely in the chanter
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Tony,
I use white heat shrink to seal the staple the last 19.20mm I leave
to insert in to the reed head then I whip it up with waxed 100% Polvester thread and seal it up with p.t.f.e seal thread tape never
had any problems yet :thumbsup:quick and easy 8)
Islandpiper

regarding teflon tape

Post by Islandpiper »

The traditional sealing/wrapping in oboe and bassoon reeds has been "gold-beaters skin". Does anyone else use this for UP reeds? It is easy to apply, and seals and adheres naturally, being an organic material.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

It certainly sounds interesting and I'll have to give it a try. How is it applied/used in an oboe/bassoon reed?

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.