Pipers in groups ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Pipers in groups ?

Post by rorybbellows »

Most of my piping CD collection is solo piping ,but I also like good piping when its part of a group.
Are there any other pipers that have had the opportunity that Liam O’Flynn has had in planxty to provide piping accompaniment to a song or provide a musical break during a song as he did in “Musgrave” or my own favorite the piping at the end of the ballad “ Justise is as cold as the grange o county Clare”(not sure if that’s the correct title).
Davy Spillane also done a lot of it with Moving Hearts as in “Hiroshima Nagasacky”and others.
Do you know of other pipers that have done similar work with a group ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
djimbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djimbo »

“Musgrave” or my own favorite the piping at the end of the ballad “ Justise is as cold as the grange o county Clare”(not sure if that’s the correct title).
I had it down as Musgrave or perhaps Little Musgrave...
The odd line you mention I had down as..
'Justice is cold as the Granger county clay'

I'm sure someone from Granger County will correct me about the clay temperature there ;-)

Djimbo.
Fools rush in and get all the best seats.
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Paddy Keenan did some song backing with The Bothy Band.
Finbar Furey did a lot when he was playing as a duo with his brother Eddie, as well as later on with the whole lot.
Jimmy O'Brien-Moran with Scullion many years ago.
Eoin Ò Riabhaigh with Jimmy Crowley's Stoker's Lodge.
I'm sure there are many, many more.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Re: Pipers in groups ?

Post by Hans-Joerg »

rorybbellows wrote:“ Justise is as cold as the grange o county Clare”(not sure if that’s the correct title).
The title is "True Love Knows No Season", a song written by the American Norman Blake (who mostly sings and plays guitar).
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

You mentioned Davy Spillane with Moving Hearts, but he has done something similar with various other groups/musicians - Mary Coughlan Band (Ride On), Dolores Keane (Solid Ground), etc. For a while in the late 80s and early 90s, he seemed to be the only uilleann piper making any sort of recording.

I've recently gone back to listen to his piping and I'm surprised at how much he puts into his chanter playing. For instance, listen to his version of My Love is in America on his Shadow Hunter album (the track is called One Day in June).
PJ
No E

Post by No E »

Donnchadh Gough plays pipes with Danú.
Tim Britton plays pipes with Chulrua.
Tod Denman plays pipes with Aniar.

Oh yeah, and some fellow named Maloney plays with an obscure folk group called "The Chieftains."

-No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
travhicks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Pipers in Groups

Post by travhicks »

Check out Lunasa.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

What I was kind of curious about too, was who actually writes the music of these little snipets of piping that are played in the songs .
Because if its the pipers himself,which I would of thought it is ,then this brings in a different talent, the piper as composer.
I mean Willie Clancy and Seamus Ennis were great pipers but I dont think they ever actually composed any music.
Some of the stuff that O'Flynn and Spillane played in their groups if it was composed by them, is beautifully composed music.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
samiam590

Re: Pipers in Groups

Post by samiam590 »

travhicks wrote:Check out Lunasa.
Very much so. Quality playing from all the players, but especially the guy on the pipes. If you want an album to start on, I'd say go with Merry Sisters of Fate or Kinnitty Sessions.
Psalm 33:3
Sing to Him a new song;
Play skillfully with a shout of joy
djm

Post by djm »

It was usually Donal Lunny who came up with the little musical ornaments that O'Flynn played in Planxty. Arranging is Lunny's genius.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I don't think playing in groups is uncommon at all. In addition to everyone mentioned, I'll add that Jarlath Henderson plays with Ross Ainslie and Ali Hutton, Mick OBrien has that great recording, Kitty Lie Over, with Caoimhin O'Raghaillaigh, Ronan Browne plays with Desi Wilkinson and Sean Corcoran in Cran, has numerous recordings with Peter O'Loughlin, and has played in the Transatlantic Sessions with assorted Irish, Scottish, and American players, and Jerry O'Sullivan has played with Bonnie Rideout (Scottish fiddler). Michael McGoldrick plays (or at least has played -- I think he he still does) with Capercaillie and numerous other groups, John McSherry has a recording with Donal Lunny and another one with McGoldrick and was in Lunasa, and Brendan Ring played on an album called Across the Waters with assorted trad musicians in England such as Luke Daniels, Niall Keegan, Karen Tweed, Andy Cutting, et. al. Ivan Goff and Cillian Vallely are on the recording of the session at Mona's, Michael Cooney has a recording with Joe Burke and Terry Corcoran, and Diarmuid Moynihan played with Calico.

There are many more, but that's just out of the recordings I have.
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

The actual name of the Norman Blake song is "Billy Gray".
glands

Post by glands »

Donnchadh Gough plays pipes with Danú.
Tim Britton plays pipes with Chulrua.
Tod Denman plays pipes with Aniar.

Oh yeah, and some fellow named Maloney plays with an obscure folk group called "The Chieftains."

-No E
Fr. d'Arcy plays pipes with the Ric Blair Band. They got sum records!
Gaasfet

Post by Gaasfet »

rorybbellows wrote: I mean Willie Clancy and Seamus Ennis were great pipers but I dont think they ever actually composed any music.
Uh, you've not played Willie's Single or Willie's Fling then? I've also seen floating about in my iTunes library a set with Seamus Ennis' jig in it. It seems that they both wrote at least a few tunes, although I have no idea how many...
Down, Not Across
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Uh, you've not played Willie's Single or Willie's Fling then? I've also seen floating about in my iTunes library a set with Seamus Ennis' jig in it. It seems that they both wrote at least a few tunes, although I have no idea how many...
Unfortunately Messers Clancy nor Ennis wrote a thing.

James Ennis Snr wrote a lovely tune called The Morning Thrush.

Tommy