What controls your angle?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
liestman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

What controls your angle?

Post by liestman »

Different sets of pipes seem to sit differently in my lap. In particular, some sets sit with the drones well up my right thigh when my thigh is perfectly level and others want to sit almost on my right knee. I am presuming it is a matter of where on the curve of the bag the mainstock is located. When a set wants to angle out toward the right knee, does that mean the stock is tied in too close to the front seam and is "around the bend" of the bag or are there other factors in play? I am guessing the curvature of the piper has something to do with it too, but that is harder to fix.

Thanks in advance.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
josh perkins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by josh perkins »

This is the sexiest discussion of woodwinds I've heard in a long time.
Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme »

It would seem to have a lot to do with the physical size and weight of the mainstock. For example; my Bayley barrel drone set has a mainstock of approx 2" diameter, and the stock is tied in with the edge of the stock 3/4" from the front seam and some 2" from the top of the bag. When playing, the drones lie angled slightly towards the body, in the classic position for playing regulators if they were fitted. On the other hand, the Taylor style half set I play, again by Chris, and using the same bag pattern, has a stock of 2 1/2" diameter tied in about 3" from the top, again about 3/4" from the front seam. The drones lay lower on the lap, but still angled towards the body. When I added a couple of regulators I used a shoulder strap to compensate for the added weight and this, raising the stock, made the drones/regs sit further out from the body with a full bag of air. The correction for this was to sit up straight, thus bringing the regs into the correct position under the wrist.

This works for me, your physical attributes will have some effect on what might work better for you.
Last edited by Mike Hulme on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

The angle of the dangle
is controlled by the heat of the meat.
The pitch of the podger
is controlled by the throb of the knob

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

clever, but,
I usually move to the next stall after reading something like that....

Well if youre asking, John Leistman, how I personally control said angle, first I
mangle several good hide bags and countless nauga templates over a period of years to find the sweet spot where everything 's as copasetic as it could be.
(Ive tried high stock, low stock , in stock + out stock.)
Also, it's relevant where your blowpipe stock ends up, AS IS AS WELL the neck length of the bag and overall height.
Tis a very personal thing indeed, and difficult to discuss without getting overtly personal. :oops:
simonknight
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by simonknight »

CHasR wrote: Also, it's relevant where your blowpipe stock ends up, AS IS AS WELL the neck length of the bag and overall height.
I had the same experience with my B set. I had to get the neck length right and the mainstock position right both vertically and horizontally. I haven't had any issues with placement of the blowpipe stock, but I have found the length of the tube to be critical.

I recently changed the chanter top on my Gallagher concert set to a swan-neck. I now have to play with the chanter, the bag and my right leg lower. It's taken some getting used to, but overall it's better.

It does seem that an inch in any in of these measurements makes a difference.
Simon
liestman

Post by liestman »

Thanks to all who either provided information or entertainment - both were appreciated. Mike's post and subsequent PMs led me to whipping up a new bag and mounting the mainstock higher up the bag, resulting in drones that hug my right hip as I had desired. Now back to playing the darn things. Thanks again to all.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman