Heather Clarke's Tutor..

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

This is soooo cool; I'm so clueless on piping history in general, so this a boon there, too. Thank you, thank you!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

billh wrote: ...Ennis-length fingers
Bill, you beat me to the draw (and not for the first time!), I was about to put up a post drawing attention to these, but wisely read the whole thread first (should that be "Wisely"?).
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

billh wrote:
Still a whiff of paternalism, "pretty little Irish piper" indeed. ;-)

I'm curious about the author's fondness for the "buxom colleen half his age" snared by Denis Delaney. ;-)

Thanks again Bill. This is great reading.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Cathy Wilde wrote: And why doesn't/didn't Cherish the Ladies have a female piper, I often wonder?

Perhaps she stayed home, served tea and played bodhrán?
Stuporman

Re: Heather Clarke's Tutor..

Post by Stuporman »

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

... and the world stood still. (At least for me it did!)

This is absolutely marvelous. Thank you so much! And the pipes sound darned nice, too!

Am laughing at the rest of this thread. 4 years later ... and I still haven't mastered Chapter 12. :lol:!
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Zombie thread! I just noticed it was four years old.

Still, couldn't read this with a straight face... "While neither big nor brawny this versatile Irish colleen can handle with ease a full-size instrument." And not just the pipes.... Ooh, er...matron!
maki

Post by maki »

Anyone else enjoy Heathers playing on the tutor?
Her 'Kid On the Mountain' is very nice, among others.
sean an piobaire

Post by sean an piobaire »

In regard to May McCarthy, Dennis Brooks had a clipping of a 1968 article from an Irish Newspaper,
that showed May as vigorous Woman of advanced years, still playing that set of Pipes shown in O'Neill's I.M.&M.
I also remember Paddy O'Neill of San Francisco (RIP 1980) telling me about how she was a judge at a competition Paddy attended,
in Cork City circa 1918, and that Paddy was awarded a prize in GHB Piping (he did not play the Irish pipes until he got to San Francisco).
Just before they were going to hand Paddy this award, there was a man who shouted out from the crowd
"Why don't you play "The Peeler and the Goat" ?
Well, in honor of this request, May McCarthy and the other 2 judges asked Paddy if he knew the Tune, and he replied that he did know it,
so the 3 judges asked him to play the tune,which he did.
Now....
If You have ever read the words of this song, you would realize that it was a satire about the Police arresting a Goat,
the conversation that passed between these 2 parties, and the Goat's witty replies, making the Police look stupid.
In this case, the Black and Tans waited until the crowd broke up, then cornered Paddy and gave him a severe beating.
In relating this story to me, Paddy said he did not mean it to reflect badly on the judges, who did not know they were putting him in danger,
and certainly, he said, "If the Crowd had still been there, it would have been a different ending all together".
Piobairi na mBan Abu !!!
Sean Folsom
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

A fine musician Heather Clarke, regarding female uilleann pipers there is also Catherine Ashcroft http://videos.matchdoctor.com/64427/Cat ... Pipes.html

Other good pipers are Eiblish Donaghue, Becky Taylor, Emer Mayock, Lucy DeLoz, not sure if Lucy is still piping these days, she is also a very good fiddler, as is Sorcha Ní Mhuiri http://www.tonykearns.net/pages/set8-1.htm
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

her good pipers are Eiblish Donaghue, Becky Taylor, Emer Mayock, Lucy DeLoz, not sure if Lucy is still piping these days, she is also a very good fiddler, as is Sorcha Ní Mhuiri

There are a lot more ofcourse, you left out the obvious Maire Ni, Debbie Q, Sheila Friel, Marion McCarthy and there are stacks of young women playing and playing well.

Was only yesterday talking briefly to Siobhan Hogan (see the CD 'The Blue Eyed Rascal' she made with her sister) who was busking in Galway:

My brain hurts

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Image
Brrrr. My, that looks cold. And Oscar and Eduard are frozen stiff!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Brrrr. My, that looks cold.
At 6-7 Celsius it wasn't too bad, lovely sunshine. Best day of the week. You should see it todayImage
My brain hurts

Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Mhaire and Debbie were mentioned earlier in this thread by KAD Peter, true there are lots more including Emily over the border. No women playing the uilleann pipes over here in Sweden or Denmark though. Used to to be a piper in Finland, met her in Miltown, but I think she's given up the pipes. In Germany there is the lady who worked for Rogge, I think she's still piping, There's Grace Lemon, Cambridge, England, taught by Dr. Lucy DeLap (not Deloz), Fiona Docherty in Mayo I think. Jeanette Lambert, Wicklow. In Armagh there's Sinead Lennon, Claire Byrne, Vivian Murphy. Betty Nevin a pupil of Leo's, Dublin. :thumbsup:
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I met this piper in Listowel and fell in love.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .