Reed Cane suppliers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Allen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Reed Cane suppliers

Post by Allen »

Does anyone know of a U.K. source for cane suitable for making pipe reeds ?
I want to try making some practice reeds (it's a Zen thing apparently!!),
any info will be much appreciated.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Reed Cane suppliers

Post by Hans-Joerg »

This is the European Mecca of cane (arundo donax):
http://www.medir.cat/tot.htm
When ordering, write for Uilleann Pipes and they´ll send you the right stuff.
Cheers,
Hans
teirw

Reed cane

Post by teirw »

Brian Howard has a large stock of Medir cane available mail order. www.howardmusic.co.uk
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Hans,

w/all due respect; they recently sent someone I know kilos of unusable stuff (hard as steel) an "apology' for neglecting their express order for weeks. they still owe this individual more and have not taken care of buisness.

buyer beware
teirw

reed cane supplier

Post by teirw »

By the way Allen, it's just occured to me that you are very close to the venue for this years Roving Tionol ( near Sedbergh ). Brian will be giving detailed instruction in all aspects of reedmaking and I couldn't recommend it more highly. The tuition from Dermot Hyde is truly outstanding, both in groups and on a one to one basis. Most people have to travel huge distances to attend a Tionol so you are a very lucky piper.Best of luck with the reeds-it gets addictive.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I have had nothing but pleasant and timely dealings with Medir. When ordering for the Uilleann Pipes, express that you prefer the softer cane. It is quite nice material to work with.

Just a thought, before posting negative reviews regarding any product on C&F, please use care to varify and validate your sources. It will go a long way toward preventing flames, hurt feelings and possible legal headaches. There are always more than one side to every tale.

Thanks. :thumbsup:
mike spencer

Post by mike spencer »

I also bought some cane from Medir recently and it was great and it was delivered in timely fashion.
mike spencer
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Just a thought, before posting negative reviews regarding any product on C&F, please use care to varify and validate your sources. It will go a long way toward preventing flames, hurt feelings and possible legal headaches.
Proper order indeed.
Let me explain.

My good piper pal George and I ordered 4 kilos of cane in October of 07.
We paid for express shipping which cost 60 euros extra. When we moaned about the service they sent us an extra kilo of basoon style cane. They may as well have sent plastic.
We still haven't recieved a thing and the order is still supposed to be "on the way".
I'm sure our order got lost among the monday morning hangover kinda thing or there is some kinda honest mistake somewhere.

Meanwhile...
3 months later I still don't have any cane. If anyone wants to sell a few sticks I'd be delighted.
They are a great company but thats my story.

Tommy

reedless.....
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

iheard from yet someone else that they ordered from Medir and got tubes of cement disguised as tubes of cane. Hard as granite and totally unusable.

selling cane is sort of like playing; you're as good as your last shipment. "lost" shipments, unanswered emails, poor product does not a great company make.

there's no mincing words here, especially in lieu of what I was pondering as of late; the cost of being a piper...and i only mean the financial aspect thereof. if one were to add up a glancing list such as the following:

a) pipes
b) tionol travel costs
c) tools
d) supplies
e) phone calls to get assistance for whatever might be the issue
f) sending instruments NextDay to be repaired (and back again)

....I don't even WANT to know the total. therefore, to incur one cent more expense, not to mention frustration (that which there is no telling the cost of) is just not right.
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Nil Desperandum

Post by Mike Hulme »

If you're short of decent cane, and are prepared to wait a while I am going off to the South of France next month, and can harvest some nice soft Arundo Donax, in diameters suitable for both chanter reeds and guills. I am not sure of quantity, but quality is not an issue - I have been using this cane for quite a long time. I have a supply of seasoned cane, and I will release some as soon as my stock is replaced.

PM with requests.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Our cane from Medir arrived. 4 months late, but we got it.

Thanks Kynch ;)

Tommy

Reeds anyone??