Cali Pipering

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cali Pipering

Post by glands »

California is the place to be. Bay area folk are tremendous. So Cal group leading the world in organized piping events.

Visited with Gaby this past weekend. Had a session wih Gaby, No E, BrazenKaine, and Joey. Good stuff! BrazenKaine and Joey blew me away with their pipering skills. Joey is half my age...hope I live long enough to see what he is doing on the pipes when he becomes my age. He and BrazenKaine have the chops, virtuosity, and the inventiveness that is to be admired. NoE, Gaby and me...well...we do pretty good, too, I guess...and we have a heckuva time playing tunes together. ....that's what it is all about. We ain't gonna be recording artists....just regular Joe's playing the pipes...like most of ya.

There is no room for elitism in pipering and I'd like to see less of it than I have seen of late. I was thinking that some of the things that set apart people like Joey, BrazenKaine, Sean Folsom, Fr. d'Arcy and a few others is that they can sit and play a couple of tunes with those of us eejit pipers and maybe enjoy the experience just for the sake of pipering.

Well, its too late so I'll close before I say some things that get me in trouble.
wolvy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

Oh man, your right. We may never be "rock-star-pipers", but we have a lot of fun just playing them pipes. After all, it's all about the journey, not the destination, right?

The SCUPC vibe kind of reminds me of the early days of surfing when everyone was just into the "stoke" of doing it and not really caring who was hot and who wasn't. We just enjoy hanging out with each other and playing a few tunes.

...or maybe the camaraderie comes from the fact that we all suffer from a common (and odd) obsession. And so we are a support group to each other. : )
billh

Post by billh »

So. Cal. dudes, is it really snowing there ?!? :boggle:
No E

Post by No E »

You mean I'm not a rock star? :cry: :P

And yes, it is snowing above 3500 ft (~1100m). No snow in Malibu or downtown L.A., but you can see it from here. Oh, and there's this strange wet stuff falling from the sky.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

I'll, um, what is it, forth the sentiment. What was really impressive about the SoCal Crew was the amount of impressive pipers and the great feeling of camaraderie. True gentlemen and women I tells ya!

I'll also mention that our own little tionól up here in the cold north is also proud to host our annual visitors from the south. Messrs. D'Arcy and NoE have made it up for the four (maybe more) GNIPC tionóls. So if you want to me these men amongst men but not have to travel to dangerous California, why not simply come to our tionól third week in May. Mark your calendars.

Yes, that was a shameless thread hijack.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hey Glands,

Sorry to have missed you! A day in the mountains playing in the soft white stuff with two lovely ladies was in order.... great fun and a nice break from the daily grind.

Gimme a shout the next time you're out here (you too Brazenkane ya bollix ;) ) and we'll do lunch ;)

Go in peace,

Fr. Pat
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

billh wrote:So. Cal. dudes, is it really snowing there ?!? :boggle:
I had to clear pea-sized hail from my car's windshield this morning. This is 2 miles from downtown L.A.
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

I just came back from a supplier in Van Nuys. There was slush on the Myrtle Ave off ramp, probably for 1/4 mile at 8:30 in the morning. So, it does "snow" in So Cal.

Team weather report out! ;-)
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Or else the Budweiser delivery truck left its back door open :)

PD.
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

don't think so; Budweiser foam doesn't stay around, even when cold :-)
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

wolvy wrote:Oh man, your right. We may never be "rock-star-pipers", but we have a lot of fun just playing them pipes. After all, it's all about the journey, not the destination, right?

The SCUPC vibe kind of reminds me of the early days of surfing when everyone was just into the "stoke" of doing it and not really caring who was hot and who wasn't. We just enjoy hanging out with each other and playing a few tunes.

...or maybe the camaraderie comes from the fact that we all suffer from a common (and odd) obsession. And so we are a support group to each other. : )
"Stoked" as in Stoked to be here, stoked? Haven't heard that in a while. Long boards, balsa stringers with epoxy-YEESSSS. A surf-mobile that is NOT a Mercedes/BMW or large SUV-don't get me started.

Maybe its like British cars back in the 60s- we all waved and honked at each other, knowing that we belonged to a select club. Come to think of it, SU carbs kinda have that three regulator feel to them. OK, its a stretch....
glands

Post by glands »

Patrick! The threesome I'll allow you...but with older women????

Budweiser in So Cal? I thought that stuff was only available in MO, TN and KY?????

Snow on Mt Tam this morn per report.

Cold rain in SF...seems like Ireland!

I like the surfing analogies.
samiam590

Post by samiam590 »

The SCUPC in San Juan Capistrano is a real nice group too. I went to Mr. McKeagney's place once and had some nice talk with the guys there and got my inspiration to but my Michael Hubbert pipes (about 1 month left...).
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I was, like, fully stoked to see mas snow...
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

pancelticpiper wrote:I was, like, fully stoked to see mas snow...
Cowabunga!! Snows up! Rossi 205 GS