Anyone in Michigan on here these days?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Killain
antispam: No

Anyone in Michigan on here these days?

Post by Killain »

Back when I was on the board in 04' there was was little signs of uilleann pipers from michigan on here has that changed? Just curious because I could always use some help, pointers, lessons, and most of all I enjoy making people laugh ;)
But since it falls unto my lot that I should go and you should not, I'll gently rise and softly call, goodnight and joy be with you all.
docarrete
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by docarrete »

Hey there, I live in Michigan. What town are you from?? I am in Northern MI
Killain

Post by Killain »

I'm down in the south east... in livingston county brighton/milford kinda. Yeah are you in the UP. Or just northern michigan? Are you from michigan originally if so are you Self taught or get lessons ?

Good to hear I am not the only one on the uilleann board from around the mitten.
But since it falls unto my lot that I should go and you should not, I'll gently rise and softly call, goodnight and joy be with you all.
Finikey O'Reeley

Michigan newbee

Post by Finikey O'Reeley »

There will soon be two more UPers in central Michigan. Both of us GHB guys, switching over from the dark side. My pipes are due to arrive in about 10 days.
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Killain,

Piping lessons in conjunction with Comhaltas are held most Thursday evenings at the Gaelic League, downtown Detroit.

http://www.detroitima.org/

Also, there is usually a piper ot two present at one of the sessions found at:

http://www.sessionite.com/

There are other pipers in the Metro Detroit area that get together from time to time, but not on a regularly scheduled basis as yet.

Please PM me for more info.
Get down on your knees and thank God you're on your feet !
Killain

Post by Killain »

Ahhhh I am like a kid in a candy store :D I'm quite happy that I have a response from michigan. I am pretty excited. Thanks for the replys and the info... Sounds good the numbers are rising...
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

I'm in the Muskegon area (West Michigan). Have been to one of the Al Purcell workshops (a few years ago). Been playing 8 years. Still struggling. I get distracted easily by my guitar, zouk, whistles and smallpipes/GHB. Shoot me an e-mail if you are ever in the area. Always like to play, and like to play accompaniment on my guitar/zouk.
"Luck is important"
big wooley

Post by big wooley »

Not really a Piper yet, I'm just getting started.
But I am in your neighborhood, west side, Farmington hills.
Look forward to some info sharing.

Cheers,
Patrick
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

I'm in Wyandotte. I just haven't been concentrating too much on uilleann pipes lately.
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I consider Michigan to be "in the zone" so do consider a pilgrimage to the GNIPC Tionol in May. We'd love to entertain our piping brethren and sistren from Michigan.

www.gnipc.org

Shamelessly plugging away,
t
amackenz

michigan pipers

Post by amackenz »

Killian,
Just wanted to second the Gaelic League event. I went last Thursday and a good time meeting everyone. There are a lot of great people there looking to have fun and help each other out. I believe they will be meeting again on the 27th.