US Dollar

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

US Dollar

Post by PJ »

Anyone not in the US who is thinking of buying pipes in the US (either from a maker or seller) - now's the time!! The exchange rate with the US dollar is quite advantageous to those not in the US. The Canadian dollar is currently $1.02. This time last year it was at around $0.90. That's a 12% saving. Not bad on the cost of a full set.
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Let's form an orderly queue now :sniffle:

Tommy "Up the Greenback!" Kleen
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, Tommy...we'll be picked clean as it were by foreign crows on roadkill. I feel so.......pillaged.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

I'd think the American makers would have to raise their prices to make up for the weak UD dollar, since everything else is going up in price...unless they outsource the work to Pakistan.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: US Dollar

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

PJ wrote:Anyone not in the US who is thinking of buying pipes in the US (either from a maker or seller) - now's the time!! The exchange rate with the US dollar is quite advantageous to those not in the US. The Canadian dollar is currently $1.02. This time last year it was at around $0.90. That's a 12% saving. Not bad on the cost of a full set.
It wasn't all that long ago when the Can $ only cost US$0.65 to $0.70.

pudinka wrote:I'd think the American makers would have to raise their prices to make up for the weak UD dollar, since everything else is going up in price...unless they outsource the work to Pakistan.
I don't understand the logic in this statement?? Unless materials (materials are not a large part of the cost)and/or labor (which obviously is domestic) are imported, or there is very high inflation, there is no reason to raise prices due to a weakened dollar. However, if they wished to take advantage, in order to increase profits, they have a very good opportunity to do so. Having said that, if the maker has a multi-year wait list, this would be a challenge since prices are set at the time of order typically. If you raise prices today, ansd deliver in 4 years, who is to say that the US $ doesn't strengthen and make the cost unussually high. You could have many people refuse the set due to the cost (depending on the maker's demand of course).
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

Yes, it seems like someone needs to brush up a bit on their economics, or, might this be another case of the American capitalistic mind running amok? :-?
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

It was a joke...ha, ha, he (I forgot, so there's the laugh track).
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

If you raise prices today, ansd deliver in 4 years, who is to say that the US $ doesn't strengthen and make the cost unussually high. You could have many people refuse the set due to the cost (depending on the maker's demand of course).
With that being said, do you think that pipe buyers should sign a set financial contract with pipe makers before making the set in order to avoid such a high inflation or deflation in price at the completion of the set?

irishpiper wrote:
If you raise prices today, ansd deliver in 4 years, who is to say that the US $ doesn't strengthen and make the cost unussually high. You could have many people refuse the set due to the cost (depending on the maker's demand of course).
With that being said, do you think that pipe buyers should sign a set financial contract with pipe makers before making the set in order to avoid such a high inflation or deflation in price at the completion of the set?
I believe that most makers with only moderately lengthy lists agree to their going price at the time of order (otherwise, why even have a price list?), and those with excessively lengthy lists increase prices from original aggreement based upon inflation. Alain Fromment increases his based upon his increased costs. Not sure how he increasesses his labor costs based upon the general higher costs of living though. If he doesn't, it is a losing proposition. Some makers without published prices will just quote a price once the completion is within reach (a year) and if you aren't interested, there are a hundred people behind you.

Neil
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: US Dollar

Post by ausdag »

PJ wrote:Anyone not in the US who is thinking of buying pipes in the US (either from a maker or seller) - now's the time!! The exchange rate with the US dollar is quite advantageous to those not in the US. The Canadian dollar is currently $1.02. This time last year it was at around $0.90. That's a 12% saving. Not bad on the cost of a full set.
Analysts here in Australia are expecting the Australian dollar to reach parity with the $US early next year and then to keep going beyond a bit mid to late next year.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

the fed is keeping the USD down for a myriad of reasons...

a new president/getting out (or starting to get out) of Iraq could/might change things... it'd certainly change things NOT directly relatied to the USD

(utterly off topic)
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

I am actually on the down side of this. A couple of months ago i was looking at an o'brien whistle, which at 165 was only about 150 dollars. I have intended to buy this whistle for a while... now it's like 166 dollars... kinda frustrating, it's like the whistle had a price increase when really, it didnt, just the value of my money sucks a little harder....still, i think it's worth it, but i wish my money ws as valuable as it was in the past.
"Well, rhythm, i think, if it's rhythmatic, that's the whole thing. Technique and everything comes second, i think, to the rhythm." --Mary Bergin
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Trixle wrote:... but i wish my money ws as valuable as it was in the past.
... how far back in the past are you thinking? :D
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:... how far back in the past are you thinking? :D
... back when I still had them! :wink:
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!