Tis Me Thread

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
carel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by carel »

Most of what we think of as Celts were really Basques!

I am reparing kettles

uilliam
could you give me some large files of the slabs

Slán Go Foill
Pipewort

Post by Pipewort »

And there's me thinking firemen always put out fires, rather than starting them.
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Re: Tis Me Thread

Post by boyd »

Uilliam wrote:
mukade wrote:
Uilliam wrote:F
NAME:Uilliam hAicéad in Gaelidhge
translated in English for MI5 CIA etc as Liam Hackett

Uilliam
Hackett!
Hell's bellows!
We all thought you were a 'celt' and it turns out yer a feckin Norman.
:wink:

Mukade

yep thats right they came frae Harcourt in Normandy wi William the Conqueror in 1066 and got right pissed aff wi the English so William de Haket went to Cashel in Tipperary in 1172 and founded the Franciscan Friary there in between a bit of rapine and pillage.

The effigies shown here are two of four which are preserved in Cashel, now set into the old town walls adjacent to the Church of Ireland Cathedral. Originally in the Franciscan Friary, they may be the burial slabs of the benefactor Sir William Hackett and of his wife and family.

ImageImage

I can trace my lineage directly back to him.Thanks to some research done by the Royal College of Arms.My mothers family are more Gaelic ,MacAdaimh(Adamson) frae Inverneshire they got pissed aff wi being harassed for being Calvinists so went to Athlone in 1638 and stayed there since.My GUncle George was Brigadier General wi the free State Army after a very active career wi the IRA in the Tan War.There is a memorial to him in Athlone and Athlone Castle was renamed after him.He was one of the 1st killed in the war of independance in 1922.My Grandad Willie(Pepper) formed the famous Moate Ceilidhe Band.
Which just goes to shew ye that there is no such thing as a "Celt".Celtic being a language common to many different tribes and long before any such thing as nationality was conceived.No one thought of themselves as Celt or Celtic...The peoples of Ireland are a real admix of Gael, Viking, Norman, English high and low born (Cromwell left a lot of his soldiers to settle..indeed most of the Arran islanders can claim ancestry back to Cromwells soldiers) Scots and on and on ad infinitum.Trade between Ireland and continental Europe and Scandinavia was brisk.I think there would be very few who could claim to be pure Irish simply because there is no such thing.no surprises there... :wink:

And this is the auld biddy down the street.Havnae clue who she is but she is probably related.It was a small gene pool.
:wink: Slán Go Foill
Uilliam

Just shows ye......

Heritage and Nationality are .....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

....nobody said this would be easy......

John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

PJ wrote:
Here's an interesting article on the Irish Celt question.
Sorry, PJ...but after reading that article my impression is that it's nothing but politically motivated bad science forwarding a sectarian agenda.
That same author (Richard Warner - Ulster Museum Keeper of Antiquities) also wrote:
"In round terms, the image of the Irish as a genetically Celtic people - in fact the whole idea of a Celtic ethnicity and of Celtic peoples, Irish, Welsh and all the rest of it - is a load of complete cock and bull. The average Irish person probably has more English genes than Celtic." http://www.scottishloyalists.co.uk/myth.htm
There's a rebuttal here:
http://www.blather.net/blather/2002/07/ ... e_rom.html
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Carel if ye send me your Email address I can send ye larger formats of Mum and Dad :wink:

Afore we get into a completely aff the wall and aff topic discussion on whether Romans Vikings or Martians went a shagging on the clump o land variously known as Scotia/ Hibernia /Eire/ Ireland,would it not be betterer just to accept the common sense approach, that, just like today, many people have visited the place over the millennia and have left their mark in one way or another :party: its wot makes us unique :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Edited to keep on topic.

Mukade
Last edited by mukade on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

mukade wrote:
boyd wrote:

Just shows ye......

Heritage and Nationality are .....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Amen to that.

Be proud of your achievements.
Be proud of your heritage? Race? Why? - None of us had no choice in the matter.

Mukade
:boggle: :boggle: :boggle: Mukade twas yersel that started this :boggle: :boggle: What gives?
I would also remind folks that this is a Tis Me Thread and that if ye contribute to it then ye should really give us a foty of yoursel wi your real name otherwise don't bother clogging it up wi irrelivancies.
Have a nice day yeall :love: :love:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Uilliam wrote: I would also remind folks that this is a Tis Me Thread and that if ye contribute to it then ye should really give us a foty of yoursel wi your real name otherwise don't bother clogging it up wi irrelivancies.
Have a nice day yeall :love: :love:
Uilliam
I quite like the idea Uilliam, a'hm no fir oll this 'cloke+dagger'; and ye seem aye a guid chap yersel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gN62Bw3CPU

Name: CHasR Charlie Rutan
Homeland: Philly PA(Philadelphia)
Occupation Performing musician
Shoe size 9 EE
Years in music 35
BagpipesCurrently played
GHB, (1960's Hardie chanter, 1990 Hardies)
Uilleann (concert Gallagher full set # 191, made 2001-03)
Zampogna Molisana 25 con chiave e bordone modificatzione (Luigi Ricci, 2005)
16 Pouce Bechonnet (maker unknown)
Music: Western art-music from Machaut to Messiaen, European folk musics, selected Jazz +Rock.
Pet peeves(as of 7/29/07) Bob Dylan, Cats(the species, not the show), Wedding photographers, Republicans.
Make me happy: Chardonnay + 2 tix to Aruba!
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

I like the idea of this topic. I look forward to seeing all those who contribute regularly. This is me struggling with my new Hillmann set. The reed is crackin' and the hard D feels like it shakes the floor.
P.S. couldn't make it smaller.

boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f4owevPi6Q

this is me as well...even better than a still foto, hahaha

Boyd

Wannabe-Piper

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

Nice one Boyd:)
That a CP set?
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Hey Boyd,

Nice job. I recognize the first tune as "Road to Lisdoonvarna", what's the second one?
Get down on your knees and thank God you're on your feet !
boyd

Post by boyd »

2nd is Tomeen O'Dea's
(you can find the notes for both tunes here http://www.norbeck.nu/abc/)

Concert pitch set by Rogge

flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:Image

Name: Channing Dodson
Username: The Sporting Pitchfork
Occupation: teacher of English as a second/foreign language; perpetual graduate student; patron saint of television among certain Candomblé communities in Brazil.
Interests: uilleann piping, flute playing, Scottish piping, Japanese, Scottish Gaelic, Irish, phonetics, historical linguistics, experimental cooking, language maintenance & revitalization, full-contact origami.
:boggle:
Channing, i would love to try some full-contact origami with you anytime!!
(if you always look that good in that dress)!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

flanum wrote: Channing, i would love to try some full-contact origami with you anytime!!
(if you always look that good in that dress)!
:lol: :lol:
Yes, Channing :wink: that is a nice dress! :wink: