Ginsburg half set on eBay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

I was going to say they don't look anything like a Ginsburg set, but the seller beat me to it. It's apparently a "Wilkenson - McCarthy" half set. Someone has a beautiful Ginsburg full set in "C" for sale (real ivory/rosewood) if anyone's looking for a ginsburg set.

Dionys
geber

Post by geber »

Do you have any more info on the Ginsburg set Dionys?
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Check your private messages. I sent you all the info on the set I have.

Dionys
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

Dionys,

If you don't mind, could you send me that info on the Ginsburg set as well?

L
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Dionys, are you holding out on us?? any pictures of the Ginsburg set for the archives?
---
On the eBay Wilkenson set, what do you make of the extra cylinder the bass drone connects to? looks to me like an adapter fitting for a 4th drone...
brianc

Post by brianc »

Ten bids have been made and the reserve of 510 US$ has not been met? In fact, not even close, since the high bid is $350...

So what's wrong with this set?
AlanBurton

Post by AlanBurton »

Tony,
The strange cylinder on the bass drone is, in fact, merely the coil you would normally see, just made from a solid piece of wood with (if I remembar correctly) metal caps at each end. I once worked on a set with that kind of thing, but have never seen one since and don't remember the maker (often I banish traumatic things from my recollection):)
Alan
Tony

Post by Tony »

Alan, thanks for the information on the drone cylinder, it sounds interesting. I'll probably go back and look at pictures of older sets to see if any one else makes them like that.
----
The seller added some information (comments) that describe some of the sets history and playability. He indicated the reserve is $999. I like the comment they made about the Pakistani pipes that just sold for $800... that puts it into perspective. Also his offering to demo them over the phone seems to me a fair sale and not a shot in the dark for the person bidding. Granted it's not like being there but the offer (to me) sounds like this could be a nice set.
magaeb

Post by magaeb »

Tony,
first excuse my bad english, I´m not used to speak/write in english for years. I´m from germany.
After playing and building bagpipes for more then ten years, mostly french bagpipes, I build in summer 2000 a uilleann full set for myself. Having trouble to get brass tube I decided to build the pipes in a other "design", more "french style". So I build the "looped part" of the bass drone like a drone of a "Chevrette dé Limousin", a cylindric piece of wood with three parallel drilling.
I have never seen such a drone on a uilleann pipes bevor, so I´m very suprised to see the same kind of drone on the eBay Wilkenson set.
It seems to me that you take an interest in this kind of drones, so I put some pictures at this site.
http://magaeb.freehomepage.com/chev_dro ... drone.html
If you find other sets with such a drone it would be nice to posted it here.
---------------
Alan,
is it true that you will teach uilleann pipes at the "Sommermusikfest Mosenberg"/Kassel/Germany this year ?
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Quinn made some of his older bass drones with this style. This would be in the late 70's/early 80's. It's not uncommon and an interesting solution. Sound is pretty much the same.

Dionys
Tony

Post by Tony »

magaeb, your english is fine and the pictures are great! Thanks...
The diagram explains the 3 long internal holes perfectly.
AlanBurton

Post by AlanBurton »

Magaeb,
Sorry, but the band I was attending the musikfest with, has pulled out, much to my dismay.... Regarding drones, I suppose there's a lot of shapes you could make 'em...... Any offers;)
Alan