Australian Pipers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sorry, off Topic

Post by ausdag »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
ausdag wrote:
Jimbo wrote:David,

We should let those from other places also know that a 'dag' can also be a term of endearment!

Jim
True...'ya big dag' :D
... ummm, so you call people you are fond of "sheep Sh#t"? :lol:
Irony plays a big part in Australian humour.

For example, Americans like to express their sarcasm by ending an expression with '...NOT!' eg, Oh I'm so impressed....NOT!' Australians don't need to add '...NOT!'. We already know what the intented humour is.

Unfortunately that is changing among younger Australians who have lost that sense due to over exposure to American TV programming - you'll here more and more adolescents expressing the '...NOT!!' thing these days. I think the popularity of 'Wayne's World' had a lot to do with it.

Terms of endearment are often based on such irony.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
L42B

Post by L42B »

Funny you say that ausdag (you 'Dag' ;) :poke:). I must be one of the few 'young adults' to use the term irony. When I said a bit of a bad-sarcastic along the lines of "Oh, the Irony :really:" (to have any meaning it needs to be in context with the rest of the conversation) joke my friends just looked at me rather blankly and said, "What does irony mean?". The joke however bad it was then fell completly flat on its face at this point, while I tried to explain what irony ment.

My Grandfather is an American and he's finding it difficult that the younger generation seem to be following another culture. One thing he has always liked about his new home is our humoures sarcasm, and our ability to laugh at our leaders and not only that the fact that they laugh along with us; sometimes (albeit) at their own stupidity. Anyway enough about culture and poltics.

Johnnyboi, PM me and I'll pass you on some usefull contact details. There is a yearly 'unnofficial' pipers gathering at the Koroit Lake School that is normaly in the first week of February. However myself, Teflon and a few others on and off this board have been trying to get something going. Details of the upcomming event are normally announced around June and July. I'll keep you posted. Might see you there.

Cheers L42B :)
Last edited by L42B on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America." President Barack H. Obama, from his Inaugural Speech as the 44th President of the United States of America.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

L42B wrote: When I said a bit of a bad-sarcastic along the lines of "Oh, the Irony :really:" (to have any meaning it needs to be in context with the rest of the conversation) joke my friends just looked at me rather blankly and said, "What does irony mean?".
That's true, however, I think most Australians don't really know what irony is, or don't identify it easily, because it's such a natural part of our character that it doesn't really stand out as being anything that needs to be labeled. It's only when you pulled it apart that you see that it is a (decreasingly) prominent feature of 'Aussie Humour'.

Anyway, lest I be accused of being off topic...
I like pipes, bellows are good for pumping pipes, reeds are real easy to make.

Cheers,

David
giles b

Post by giles b »

Captain Kirk!! Should'a seen the hail in Canberra last week. Was staying in a flat at the ANU and had to evacuate. Both sets of pipes had the equivalent of having a bucket of water thrown over them as the roof gave way to the deluge and the water started to cascade down the walls. All pipes are now dry and playing fine although some of the mamoth on the B set has cracked, dang!! Probably in Canberra for another few weeks.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Perhaps I shouldn't worry, but yesterday I heard a report of a flight in Jakarta having crashed and among the victims were 8 Australians.... Ausdag, you OK? :-?
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Perhaps I shouldn't worry, but yesterday I heard a report of a flight in Jakarta having crashed and among the victims were 8 Australians.... Ausdag, you OK? :-?
Maaaaaaaate!! Never been better. Thanks for your concern. Certainly Indonesia is having it's fair share of transport disasters at present. Hopefully it may prompt at least a few of the more 'progressive' of the powers-that-be to pull their fingers out and stop the 'sit back and blame fate (and others)' mentality.

I do have to make another three or four plane flights this year, so if you suddenly don't here from me for a long while (longer than usual that is) then you may begin to wonder. But you know, as Niel Young once said "We all have to die sometime" (such wisdom, Mr Young! I mean I like your songs and all...).

Cheers,

DavidG