Dionna, played by John McSherry on Youtube video

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Steampacket wrote:...It would be boring if we all liked the exact same tunes, and had same sounding pipes :party:
Like in Scotland?! :lol:

elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

The tune is a prelude to a bigger tune called "The Old Man Rocking the Cradle" as recorded by Leo Rowsome on the King of The Pipers or "Ri na Piobairi"

its also on an early Finbar Furey recording and he called it Roys Hands.

If it's the same tune I asked about a while ago, this is the answer I received from another piper. My PMs are not explicit enough to glean, but I think it might be...??
loicblejean

Post by loicblejean »

"Doïna" is a tune composed by Jacky Molard and played by the breton band "Gwerz" on their first album in 1986.
gedpipes

Post by gedpipes »

I like this tune a lot. But I can't find the dots (Yes I need to read...)
Can anybody please help
Thanks
Ged
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

Sorry to "reel" you in Lads but I think the request that Richard had was if anyone has or knew how to obtain the notation to this song, not where the pipes were made or how bad or good the song was. Opinions are great but state them as your assisting fellow pipers in this forum. I don't mean to "Police" this topic but I would also like to get the notation to this song and any HELP would be grateful. Thats my two cents..anyone have change for a hundred?..LOL!!
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

You hit the nail on the head Irishpiper.

Nice tune in my opinion and I would like to learn it....that's all. Simple.

No comments on anything of importance. Don't care what kinda pipes or anything else.

I do not have change for a hundred :)

Cheers! Richard
Darran

Post by Darran »

I should be starting lessons with mcsherry soon, ill see if he can fork some sheet music over :)
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

I learned this tune by ear a few years ago after hearing it on 'At First Light'. As a musical illiterate, I can't help you with notation. But I do think it's worth mentioning that this song's appeal relies greatly upon the chord changes in the accompaniment. It doesn't work with the drones, and the melody alone lacks interest without the dissonances and resolutions created by the chords. For those who dislike synthesizers, I can imagine harp working well.
fgibbons
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

Post by fgibbons »

Chadd wrote:I learned this tune by ear a few years ago after hearing it on 'At First Light'. As a musical illiterate, I can't help you with notation. But I do think it's worth mentioning that this song's appeal relies greatly upon the chord changes in the accompaniment. It doesn't work with the drones, and the melody alone lacks interest without the dissonances and resolutions created by the chords.
I don't play it myself, but I do like that album, and McSherry's playing in general. Richard, have you thought about trying to learn it by ear? The youtube video you point to has a somewhat different setting to the album, to my ear at least. You could think of it as a slow air - he probably never quite plays it the same way twice (e.g., he appeared to drop the octave in one passage towards the end, on a hard bottom E - kind of a nice effect, and maybe it was deliberate).

As Chadd remarks, it is a fairly simple tune (slow, repetitive), which means that to make it interesting you really have to work hard with chanter-colouring (Sherry uses lots of vibrato, lots of sliding, and lifts the chanter a lot). So simple = really hard, as with many things in life.

But the video is quite high-quality, and you can almost "read" the fingering off the screen. I think an hour or two spent watching it with one hand on the video controls (and the other two on the chanter ;-) could really help you knock out the bones, and the rest will come with practise, and repeat listening.

Good luck with it!

-F
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

Good to hear from you Frank.

Thanks for all the input.

I am certain that I could learn it by ear easily, but I am just being lazy.

I have learned most of my tunes by ear, but sometimes I just take the notation route for times sake.

I will probably purchase McSherry's CD anyway. I really do like his piping style.

Cheers! Richard